PDA

View Full Version : Williams St East - Need C&C

samben84
07-02-2013, 03:38 PM
This is the east side of Williams Street, where my shop is. I previously painted the west side of the street.
The stores are, from left to right; Los Alamos, a Mexican restaurant - I think, a long time ago, it was a gas station - notice it's on an angle; Lou's Place, a former bar; Nellie's Place, which is actually the Hope Center clothing shop; the gray building is my two shops: Thrifty Link, a phone store and Ozark Elegance, my painting/jewelry shop; Kris Kirk's accounting offices; the old movie theater; a building for rent; G&J Auto Parts - the owner had recently passed away. The white thing on the right window is a poster with flowers and notes people had written on it about him; the next little section used to be the American Legion but the bank bought it and added it on, so, from there to the corner is the bank. The bank sign with time and temperature is that thing standing at the end, and the trees along the south end are sweet gum trees.

It's 30x15 140# Arches with W/N and MaimeriBlu watercolors.

Any C&C appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/23870-DSCF8672r.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/23870-DSCF8673r.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/23870-DSCF8674r.JPG

Yorky
07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
A nice elevation Sandy, a good record of what is there. Maybe a few darks in there to make it pop?

Doug

LynnM
07-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Beautifully detailed, Sandy! I agree with Doug, but your soft colours are very harmonious, well done!

samben84
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
When I look at it in person, there is quite a bit more contrast, Doug. I think I lost some when I lightened the photo in Gimp. I'll keep looking with that in mind, for sure.
Thanks, Lynn!

MarekB
07-02-2013, 07:57 PM
The single pole/streetlight is bit "cutting" the painting into 2 even parts... I wonder if it could be lifted a bit, or perhaps 2 more poles added on each side to create a sense of a repetitive pattern... just a thought...

I really like the even tones along the whole elevation. Very nice job!

janinco
07-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Great street view! I know that area well...I used to teach at a school just over the state line in Siloam Springs.

Jan

Cyntada
07-02-2013, 11:06 PM
I work in graphics in commercial real estate, and look at pictures of buildings and streets *all day long* (and photoshop away the trash cans and such, but that's another story :)) You absolutely nailed this, down to the color of the asphalt! This street has so much character I want to walk down it and plein aire something. Or maybe just get lunch at Los Alamos, I am kind of hungry.

Only thing I wonder about is the left side, you were not doing a portrait of the entire town but it looks a bit blank over there. The south side looks finished with the tree.

pjartwc
07-03-2013, 04:16 AM
Hi Sandy, Since you put "C&C" in your title, I'm assuming you really want advice and suggestions. It looks like this is a painting of these buildings and that is what you want it to be and not a "work of art" in the artistic sense. As is, it is well-painted, the verticals and horizontals correctly done. The details are good.
If it is to be "art", you need more. And that means adding what isn't there in reality. You need to break up the sky and foreground space.
Perhaps a few trees of different heights and widths that go from top to bottom with a few branches and leaves.
Or, Some people in perspective heading toward the building.
Or, A couple of bicyclist.

Put your mind to work and think of possibilities. You have the skill to add whatever you want.

DaveCrow
07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Let me start by saying the draftsmanship and painting in this are really superb.

It has the feel of an illustration or documentation of what is there. To make it pop as art it needs some life. Some people, a tree, something to give it a focal point of interest.

I do like it as it is. I really feel I could walk down that street and recognize it right away.

samben84
07-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Thank you all so much for your input. I agree that it could look a great deal more artistic, but, mostly I was going for accuracy - to be a record of this small town. The left side is pretty blank. The only thing there is a metal shop in the distance. I'll think about what to do about that. I'll keep it up and mull it over, keeping in mind all of your comments.
Thanks again for taking the time to give your input.

The more I look at it, the more it feels to me just like it is. It's not a thriving town. It's dying out just like a lot of small towns, with bypasses rerouting business to larger towns. It feels stark and alone, and a bit depressing.

RWSewell
07-03-2013, 05:08 PM
An ambitious project handled very well. Seems to me that "starkness" is strongly conveyed with your color choices and lack of colorful embellishments such as flowers in planters or bright canopies. This makes an excellent pairing with Williams St West and for the goals you set for yourself with this set you did an excellent job.

:) Rob

M.L. Schaefer
07-03-2013, 08:51 PM
When I first opened this, I thought "I know this." Then, "No, I don't," then I read this a view from the opposite side which you painted before...whew! I love your reds, and the pinkish colors on the right hand side, but the white-ish building at the opposite end of the street needs a bit more ooph and contrasts!

Very well done, though (and no grill work to struggle with on this one) :) !

:heart: Margarete