PDA

View Full Version : Flowers in still life - not sure about the wood pattern

art.lover
06-29-2013, 08:35 AM
This is a 12 by 16 inch painting.

I would like some help to give the wood effect more finished look. I want it to look like a frame with flowers peeking.

How is the color of frame? Should I lighten it? I want it to not mix with the jug. Any other suggestions, and C&C are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2013/155921-Photo0065.jpg

Dana Design
06-29-2013, 12:40 PM
The flower and jug are beautifully painted! Question: are you sure the 'frame' is perfectly square on this painting?

Within the floral area, the light is coming from the left. So, on the frame, I'd have the light coming in from the right...which means that the right inner edge of the frame would be daker and the left lighter. Hope that makes sense.

art.lover
06-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks a lot Dana, I forgot about the light direction when doing the frame, I will try to correct it now.

The frame is correct I would say but my hand shook when taking the photo so the edges are cropped and not straight. I tried to get the lines straight on the thin inner 'frame' but could not, even when I used a ruler with the brush.

This is acrylics on 12 by 16 canvas and I would be interested to know price suggestions for this.
Thanks.

The flower and jug are beautifully painted! Question: are you sure the 'frame' is perfectly square on this painting?

Within the floral area, the light is coming from the left. So, on the frame, I'd have the light coming in from the right...which means that the right inner edge of the frame would be daker and the left lighter. Hope that makes sense.

Dana Design
06-29-2013, 03:54 PM
What have your previous paintings sold for? And it depends upon where you live and what the traffic will bear. It is beautiful and I wouldn't sell it for less than $250 but that's my neck of the woods. India? Who knows?

art.lover
06-30-2013, 02:53 PM
I have not much idea about art prices here, have just checked them online but not sure how many of those actually sell.

Below is the updated work, how is it now? (could not get rid of the shine)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2013/155921-Photo0066.jpg

Jon
07-01-2013, 08:41 PM
The flower is wonderful! Have you visited the Floral and Botanical Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=361)? I think it would be worth posting this in that Forum, too, and get their input.

art.lover
07-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank you for copying the thread here :)

Charlie's Mum
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
You're welcome! :)
I'm sorry that the second post is a replica but when I try to remove it, 2 posts show for removal and that could lose the thread - so I'll leave it for now!:)

Re: frame - I'd try different versions on the computer before changing it.
It already works pretty well .... it's a lovely painting.

art.lover
07-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Thank you Maureen :)

Charlie's Mum
07-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Pricing - it's difficult and depends on a number of factors -
Where you want to sell it
How you want to sell it
What the market will stand
How well-known you are as an artist
Whether others want to buy it ...... and the rest!

If you do a local show in a moderately well-off area, locals may come but will still want to pay very little ....... they like 'something for nothing'!!!
If you sell to friends, you can discuss price and agree.
If you try on-line, see what others are charging for similar works.
Never think you will be paid for the amount of work in it!!!
Most people will expect small paintings to be cheaper than larger ones - even though there may be more time and effort in a small painting.

Vivien Maloney
07-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Beautiful flower and the frame complements the jug well.
re; price; Maureen has itemised all the factors that you have to take into account for price. The other thing is; there is no accounting for what appeals to people to buy or not. After years of selling my paintings, I'm still amazed at what sells and what doesnt. And it's always the paintings that you think won't sell that do! Good luck with it. It's a lovely painting, and I hope it sells for you.

marionh
07-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Very nice work art.lover. You've got good advice about pricing. It's a difficult thing to work out.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.

art.lover
07-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

It is difficult to determine a pricing for art & I agree with the suggestions given here. I was hoping to get some approx. price range.

For example, does the price suggested by Dana design look too much or too less or okay?

everythingsheneeds
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I would visit other artists in your area who are selling similar art and see what they are charging. How does their work compare to yours? What is this painting worth to you? And don't be too modest. This is very nice!
Love,
Chana

art.lover
07-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Thank you Chana, I have visited the galleries here and so far have not seen much work like mine, most of the work is abstract so its difficult for me to determine a price.

I don't know if I should have added the bud but here it is. I added it to make it look as if its just peeking out of the frame. But I feel something needs a bit of adjustment, can't spot what? Any help would be appreciated.

My hand shook again and the painting does not look straight, please ignore that.
Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2013/155921-Photo0072.jpg

art.lover
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Another question, what should one do if other artists in area have under-priced their work?

noirell
07-08-2013, 12:41 PM
I love the color and shape of this frame. I get a rustic cottage feel from it. Very nice

Lady Carol
07-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Another question, what should one do if other artists in area have under-priced their work?
Nothing. That is their decision. How do you know it is under priced? I would rather sell a piece, especially in this climate, for something a little less than I would have 6 years ago than be stuck with it and the framing costs.

Lady Carol
07-17-2013, 02:46 PM
But I feel something needs a bit of adjustment, can't spot what? Any help would be appreciated.
The shadow under the bud. If all the flower and vase is behind the frame and the bud sticks out, then I would not have expected the shadow under the bud to be so even. Does that make sense?

AprilJoy
07-22-2013, 09:53 AM
This is very nice. You did a great job with both the jug & flower :thumbsup:.

Paulafv
07-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Beautiful painting. Maybe you could lighten the shadow on the wood from the bud - it looks odd to have a shadow on the wood from the bud, but not the stem. Could that be what's bothering you?