PDA

View Full Version : Little Brass Box colors

Superturtle
07-02-2013, 12:16 PM
In about a month or so I'll be ordering a Little Brass Box. I don't know what color to get, though! A few I'm considering:

Black - this would be the most classic color, and most true to an antique paint box. Black is a hard color to get tired of, and it's the safest, most conservative option.

Ultramarine/Royal Blue - WthrLady has this color, and it's so gorgeous and fun! Here's a picture: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309388

Light Gray - I think a glossy grey could look cool and modern. The grey together with the white interior reminds me of the Apple color scheme. A color like this.
http://www.deeluxkitchens.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/galleryformatter_slide-crop/public/Bowden%20Grey%20Gloss.jpg?itok=Q4agRwZj

Any suggestions? Also, just for fun, if you were to get one of these boxes, or if you own one, what color would/did you pick?

WthrLady
07-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Bleh black! Boring!
The very fact that you are considering other colours means you're fun, flexible. The fact that you paint means you love colours!
What colour do you always grab in the wardrobe?
What colour makes you happy?

That's the colour!

Dragoon
07-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Hey, I pondered this question, too! And checked out their 'extra' colour chart...

But one thing to consider! What box are you thinking of getting? And what will it be carried in?

I want the travel box. If I want to get the optional water bucket, then the palette itself slides into the bucket, meaning scuffing will happen eventually. So I decided on the clear lacquer option as then scratches won't show.

I like gray, too!
But a pinkish, lavender gray. The exact same colour that All-Bran Cookie Bars used to come in. (They changed their packaging about a year ago, sadly...) I used to be loathe to throw out the empty wrappers because I would just stare at the colour and love it to bits...that's how I know it would be worth the extra fee to get my paint box that colour!

Do you feel that way about any particular colour? Then get it!:thumbsup:
D.

Quinacridone Gold
07-02-2013, 06:20 PM
You may think Black is boring but I love my black paint box and they don't come in Quinacridone Gold! I considered Ultramarine blue and hunter green and a deep red, but the nice thing about black is that it doesn't clash with any of my colours and all my sketch books are black. Funny thing is, though, that you hardly see the colour as it is open on my desk most of the time.

I also bought a perfectly sized black leather zipped 'pouch' to protect it (even though it comes with a pouch).

I have Black for the paintbox but clear lacquer for the travel box. I don't have the additional water container but agree that it might scratch the surface.

I just love using the travel box in my plein air sketching. It's perfect. He now has an option of a flip open extra mixing surface rather than the detachable side ones. I like the flexibility of the removable ones but he is offering such a wonderful range of personalised choices. Love hand-crafted stuff! Well done John!

Superturtle
07-02-2013, 08:53 PM
The very fact that you are considering other colours means you're fun, flexible. The fact that you paint means you love colours!

That's the colour!

Thanks for thinking I'm fun & flexible, that's not the usual description for me.:lol:

As for the last two questions, go-to colors are red, royal blue, and black. Intense colors make me happy. And as we know after looking at your palette, those boxes sure look nice in that blue color! :)

Dragoon, I'm considering the Roberson style box. If I was getting the travel box, it would be an easy choice (unfinished brass), but the Roberson makes the decision trickier!

Jane, your reason's exactly why I'm considering the black. I think of it the way I think of picking rooms for the interior of a living space - as fun as colors can be, sooner or later I'll want to paint them white. A black palette would be the equivalent of a white room in this case. Those are some nice looking palettes you have there. That little travel one's the cutest!

alexs
07-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Black. I choose black for my paint box from LBBC. I'm happy with my choice.
John has done a great job on the paint box. You will be happy with your purchase . Good luck

Caroleanne
07-03-2013, 01:34 PM
I've got the Cirrus colour which is just lovely...probably rather too 'girlie' a colour for a bloke!

On days when I don't get a chance to paint I often just take my palette out if its great cover that it comes with and just open it up to look at it...I love it so much and still hug myself that I managed to get one...I started giving piano lessons and saved the money each week..the time flew by and didn't seem to take long...I counted my money each week like a miser ha! That's one of the advantages about having to wait for it, that you can save, though I only had a 3 month wait.

The quality is superb as you can see and one of the advantages I've not seen anyone else mention is that the paints stay beautifully moist because the lid is such a good tight fit.

Congratulations on your order...you will love it I am sure.

Caroleanne

ErnstG
07-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Ich würde mir eine Box mit Zebrasteifen-Design bestellen!
Bitte tragen Sie unbedingt das passende Outfit dazu.
Frage: Möchten Sie Bilder malen oder nur eine gestylte Box besitzen?

I would order me a box with zebra-hard-on design!
Please be sure to wear the right outfit to.
Question: Would you like to paint pictures, or have only a stylish box?

Ernst

CharM
07-03-2013, 05:50 PM

Ernst

Why not both??? :lol:

DebraB
07-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I wonder if you could buy a plain one or any color I suppose, then buy some "glass" paints and paint your own design on it then heat set it in an oven. That would sure make it personal to you!!

Dragoon
07-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Ich würde mir eine Box mit Zebrasteifen-Design bestellen!
Bitte tragen Sie unbedingt das passende Outfit dazu.
Frage: Möchten Sie Bilder malen oder nur eine gestylte Box besitzen?

I would order me a box with zebra-hard-on design!
Please be sure to wear the right outfit to.

Ernst

*sigh*

Boys.

They just don't understand...

:lol:
D.

WthrLady
07-04-2013, 06:20 PM
I love it when I'm out and other painters say, "WOW, where'd you get THAT BOX?!"

Everyone has a black box :D

Mayberry
07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
I think I would choose yellow. Blue is very nice though.

Superturtle
07-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all your feedback so far and suggestions! I'm still torn between 3 contenders, which are still black and royal blue, but now Porsche red's joined in the competition! So difficult! I may end up doing a Photoshop compilation to get a better idea.

WthrLady
07-05-2013, 12:59 AM
I pondered red as well. But I'm just not a red person. I like red, but I'm more into blues and greens, soothing ocean colours.

Lawrence Fox
07-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Dragoon:

You're right. But my mother drilled it into me that once you have the purse, you've just got to get the shoes to match (or vice versa). She told me that it's one of the secrets of a good marriage. (Worked for my parents, working so far for me!)

Superturtle
07-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Dragoon:

You're right. But my mother drilled it into me that once you have the purse, you've just got to get the shoes to match (or vice versa). She told me that it's one of the secrets of a good marriage. (Worked for my parents, working so far for me!)

:lol: She's taught you well!

Superturtle
07-10-2013, 12:09 AM
I've decided not to get a color - the decision was too difficult. I'm going for lacquered brass! I didn't know whether or not this was an option, as I'd never seen a Roberson with this look, only the Sketcher's box. I emailed John, and he said it's possible! I'm excited!

WthrLady
07-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Brass is a colour!

cgonzaga
07-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I wonder how it would look with the all the solder joints showing? I guess the rustic look is in. :angel: Post some pics please.

WthrLady
07-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Not rustic...industrial and that's VERY "IN"!

D'Lady
07-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Not rustic...industrial and that's VERY "IN"!

Oh yes! Solder on some polished gears and clockworks for a "steampunk" look, and you'll be right on trend. :)

Superturtle
07-11-2013, 11:59 PM
I tried uploading a couple pictures John sent me of the clear lacquered Roberson, but unfortunately I can't get it to work. The hinges aren't shown, but the palette itself looks awesome with the shiny brass look. It might not be to everyone's taste, but I do like the slight industrial/steampunk vibe of it.

Quinacridone Gold
07-13-2013, 09:41 PM
My little one is lacquered brass - shown earlier - and it's just lovely. I guess the lacquer may not be a strong as the enamel but brass doesn't rust. Sounds great.

sketchbook worm
07-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Hi everybody. I haven't posted in ages, but just saw this. I just got my LBB
yesterday and I'm so thirilled with it I can't tell you, and I have 4 Craig Young
boxes. I have the large and small Paintbox in black. Black is classic and classy
no matter what. I have a little brass plaque with my initials on the outer lid and
it really dresses them up. I have the sketchers box in clear laquer and it is beautiful. I have the Fletcher Watson in the ultrmarine and I think it is a great
color for that particular box. I've had my CY's for over 10 years and he doesn't
offer any crazy fun colors so when I first saw the LBBC boxes I just had to do
something different. I got the cirrus and I'm so thrilled with it. John described
it as duck egg blue and that sold me. I can't quite looking at it. I got the roberson box. I is slightly smaller than the CY. The tray to my 16 well Paintbox
will not fit in it. Since my Paintbox has 16 wells I got the LBB with 20 wells. The
box is the same size but the wells are a little smaller but still a nice size for sketcing. I think no matter what color a person chooses it will be wonderful.
Carol

noge
07-15-2013, 02:17 AM
Sorry I am unable to follow this discussion - whats the problem

If I show my box - ist open & I am working and you dont see the outside

The other thing :D last weekend I was painting in front of the maingate of 2 (two) famose Castles - crowds of people where passing by but only 3 of them where looking - but only on my painting not on my Box :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dragoon
07-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Egon,
It's for the same reason we buy coloured underwear...

Nobody will see it but us, but it makes us happy to have something pretty! ;)

D.

edit to add:
Also, for what these boxes cost, and how many decades they will last, it would be nice to smile when taking them out of your bag, instead of thinking...

"hmm, that looks so...functional..." :lol:

Mayberry
07-15-2013, 05:05 PM
It's like my solid brass pepper mill. A cheap glass pepper shaker would do the job. But I've had that pepper mill most of my married life, and I like looking at it, and using it to cook dinner.

Saint Ragdoll
07-15-2013, 10:37 PM
I love using beautiful hand made things old and new . Most things we use are machine made, and not very well made at that. It is wonderful to use something that is not only beautiful but hand made one at a time, by one person, to create beautiful art.....
I dont give a tinkers damn who sees my paintbox, I see it and take joy in it and that's good enough reason to buy one of these paintboxes.
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Superturtle
07-16-2013, 12:53 AM
I love using beautiful hand made things old and new . Most things we use are machine made, and not very well made at that. It is wonderful to use something that is not only beautiful but hand made one at a time, by one person, to create beautiful art.....

That's exactly what appeals to me so much about these boxes. I know some people think it's crazy to spend that much on a palette when there are far cheaper options out there, but the same could be said for a lot of things.

Quinacridone Gold
07-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I actually think they are remarkably priced for a hand made item. I wouldn't sell and original watercolour for so little. We don't value hand-made items enough.

And the colour is just a part of the joy of owning and using such an item...and it really is a joy.

Superturtle
07-18-2013, 11:36 PM
I think the selling price of a painting's a good comparison. After all, most people don't NEED a watercolor painting, but we sure hope people buy ours!

edmund ronald
08-12-2017, 06:15 PM
I'm somewhere in the queue :)

Do you people have any thoughts about the options for the boxes? I'm going for flap wells on the Roberson version. I think the normal-sized Roberson will be less cramped for everyday use than the small CY Bijou Box with oval wells which I am now using and find extremely convenient but too cramped when it comes to number of washes that can be kept going.

Are John's boxes everyday-use and bangs scuffs and drops sturdy?

Edmund

WthrLady
08-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Love mine. She's number 007 so you can tell I've had it a while. I use it in house and outside in the field. I toss in the truck and in bags. She looks like new :D

I have the Roberson with the oval wells and no thumb ring, in a bright sapphire blue.

shadye1
08-13-2017, 03:48 AM
Why buy an expensive brass box then paint it, seems daft to me, a bit like buying an expensive car and then driving around with a dust sheet on it.

WthrLady
08-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Because lacquers wear off faster than baked auto paint.

Plus. My box, my rules. :)

Even as bright blue as it is, everyone knows it's brass. I had one guy at a paint out tell me to take it to the bathrrom with me or it was going home with him.:lol:

Neeman
08-14-2017, 04:36 AM
Bleh black! Boring!

That's the colour!

I have never seen a LBD (Little Black Dress) that was boring :evil:
So why would a LBB (Little BLack Box) be boring? :angel:

Auj
08-14-2017, 01:28 PM
Black is good.
Are these boxes the most expensive?
Doesn't Joseph Zbukvic use one of the Heirloom ones?
I was just looking at these and it seems to me that the paints are all very close together inside.
That wouldn't work for me. I'd probably make a big mess:(
Best of luck with your new box.
Nothing like getting something new and special.:)

scc1989
08-15-2017, 12:09 AM
I chose a natural brass finish for my box. We don't paint brass instruments and my box will be my instrument...sort of.

That being said, when I placed my order, I was advised that a painted finish would be more durable than a lacquered finish. If I had to choose a colour, it would be black since I'm boring and that's mot of my wardrobe. lol

HarvestMoon
08-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Royal blue, there will be no mistaking it for a common little black tin! Women carrying Prada handbags might not notice, but all of US would and be so envious!

HarvestMoon
08-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Caryl, 007 seriously? I cannot think of a better person to have that number! Y'all make me want one but I need a new sofa!

HarvestMoon
08-15-2017, 08:18 AM
I agree that spending money on supplies that are long lasting, well designed, and that bring you joy, not to mention that they are themselves works of art is worth it unless you starve your children to do so. Of course if your kids are 24+ you could make a case for having them get a job too! :lol:

edmund ronald
08-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Over here in Paris everything to do with paper and writing is becoming "luxury" with snobbish shops and crazy pricing. I'm having to go to a warehouse out of town for watercolor paper which strangely was my real greatest expense. The savings pay for good brushes and paint boxes, no joke.

Edmund

HarvestMoon
08-15-2017, 10:46 AM
I would go for the CUSTOM purple blue color. After all, if you get something that pricy you might as well get a color nobody else has!

HarvestMoon
08-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Earth shattering news just in! QE II hates garlic so much she has banned it from Buckingham Palace! Now how DO you live without garlic? No wonder she seems so sweet I guess!

WthrLady
08-16-2017, 12:34 AM
She's never eaten things with strong scent such as garlic, onion, shallots. It leaves a foul odor on tbe breath and she meets and speaks with so many and considers it rude to subject them to it.

provenceaquarelle
08-25-2017, 05:19 AM
Over here in Paris everything to do with paper and writing is becoming "luxury" with snobbish shops and crazy pricing. I'm having to go to a warehouse out of town for watercolor paper which strangely was my real greatest expense. The savings pay for good brushes and paint boxes, no joke.

Edmund

All watercolour related items are expensive, in France. And in rural areas, when you can find something, it is even more expensive that in Paris, and other big cities.:crying:

Oil paintings and material, are less expensive.

I am like QEII, garling wise.

One day, when I will be a true artist I will offer myself one of these boxes, painted in water green.:)

edmund ronald
08-25-2017, 08:43 AM
All watercolour related items are expensive, in France. And in rural areas, when you can find something, it is even more expensive that in Paris, and other big cities.:crying:

Oil paintings and material, are less expensive.

I am like QEII, garling wise.

One day, when I will be a true artist I will offer myself one of these boxes, painted in water green.:)

On the realization that I will probably never make the destination, because of my age and evident lack of the necessary natural ability to draw and the required dedication, I have decided to figure out how make this journey in the comfort of business class, as far as I can afford it.

Once you own paints, it turns out that about $3 a day finances this hobby pretty well, if you have paper costs of $0.50 per day which is now my case, and I have simply stopped drinking my daily sit-down coffee on my evening walk, using the time outdoors instead for sketching, problem solved. We'll see if I can go on like this through the winter.

Edmund