PDA

View Full Version : Gillan Creek Cornwall England

rossmarie
07-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone - this is meant for Open Critique please (can it be moved?)

Still early morning, water like glass, mirror reflections and the tide not quite high enough to float the boats completely - this is Gillan Creek.

Originally 14x10 in. on Bockingford Rough, I accidentally dropped a blob of water from my brush on to the top left hand corner of the still wet sky. Disaster, I thought.....but a cropped version about 11x8 in. has worked out well because the boats fill the picture better. So, a "happy accident" in the end.

All critics and comments welcome.

Mike :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/1111482-new30524.jpg

gebhm
07-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Wonderful painting.The distant mountains/hills are just a touch to light for me but I still like the piece.

dgford
07-04-2013, 04:09 AM
Superb. I agree with gebhm about the distant high land (mountains in Helford !!!).

The silence and tranquility is very powerful but the day will wake up soon. I can almost smell the estuary mud. This has brought back great memories for an ex-pat Cornishman who left in his early twenties after WW2. But I have revisited it often since although distance and age is slowing that down.

Thank you for such a wonderful revisit.

Geoff

rossmarie
07-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Superb. I agree with gebhm about the distant high land (mountains in Helford !!!).

The silence and tranquility is very powerful but the day will wake up soon. I can almost smell the estuary mud. This has brought back great memories for an ex-pat Cornishman who left in his early twenties after WW2. But I have revisited it often since although distance and age is slowing that down.

Thank you for such a wonderful revisit.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Pleased it brought back good memories. I wondered if someone would pick up the distant "mountains"!! I had originally painted a low line of distant trees and then thought I would paint a fainter more distant lot behind. Having done so, I realised they were far too large in scale and looked like rounded mountains! No chance of washing them out without ruining the painting. Oh well, the painting is now on the sitting room wall ( having passed the rigorous scrutiny of the sole ( lady) member of the Hanging Committee) and from a distance of 12 feet the "mountains" are not really discernible.

Best wishes

Mike:D :wave:

rossmarie
07-04-2013, 05:06 AM
Wonderful painting.The distant mountains/hills are just a touch to light for me but I still like the piece.

Thank you gebhm. Please see my explanation about the "mountains" to Geoff Ford. I got it wrong! Glad you like the scene. It is a beautiful area of south-west England - both for landlubbers and those of us who like messing about in boats.

Dana Design
07-04-2013, 11:01 AM
No crits at all from me! Your boats are beautifully painted and your "hanging committee" has excellent taste.

D.W. Flint
07-04-2013, 12:45 PM
This is a beautifully rendered painting. No crits....:thumbsup:

lunchbox
07-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Calming and beautiful - holds the eye in perfect symmetry.

crazywoman53
07-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Very nice!

La_
07-07-2013, 03:14 PM
subjectively speaking i'd prefer it without the houses
but yeah, lovely work

too kitchy to add a seagull or three?

la

crafor
07-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Mike, it's beautiful!
Ella

rossmarie
07-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Thank you Dana, DW Flint, lunchbox, Christine, La & Ella.

Glad you like it.

La - yes, I reckon seagulls a bit kitchy. It's a still morning....nothing moves!

Mike

bocote
07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
this is an attractive painting. I'm happy with all of the elements except 1 minor critique with the composition. The horizon (where water meets land) is collinear and near exactly parallel with several of your subjects and all tightly grouped. For future paintings keep an eye on this.

have fun,

rossmarie
07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
this is an attractive painting. I'm happy with all of the elements except 1 minor critique with the composition. The horizon (where water meets land) is collinear and near exactly parallel with several of your subjects and all tightly grouped. For future paintings keep an eye on this.

have fun,

Thank you Bryan. You make a fair point about the close proximity of the horizon and other horizontal elements e.g. the boom and bowsprit of the boats. I agree with you but as I painted from a photo ref. there was nothing I could do about it - short of perhaps altering the aspect to a higher eye level above the water. I'm pleased you still like the scene.....one of my favourite parts of England.

regards

maryinasia
07-09-2013, 11:49 PM
love the depth