PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Problem Solving Discussion Thread

Johannes Instructor
07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/WetcanvasLive_logo.jpg
Landscape Painting Problem Solving
with Johannes Vloothuis!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/135220-Mission2.jpg

After considerable pondering on how artists can improve, Johannes has designed a course to help artists transfer the theoretical head knowledgeto the actual production on your painting surface. The intent is to helpartists reinterpret the various landscape elements into the language ofattractive and pictorial symbols which would be simplified shapes. It would belike learning a new language whose structure needs to be practiced not justintellectualized. Common problematic areas from photos will be singled out.Then we will do drills together in order to strengthen where many artists tendto feel unassertive. The attendees of this workshop will be expected toactively follow Johannes’ footsteps while painting swatches and vignettes. This4 week intensive workshop will be hands on practice with almost no lecturingthat will focus solely on reinforcing your foliage symbols. Johannes believesthis course will be very useful. You do not want to miss it! Get ready towork! The fee includes streaming recordings in case you miss a class. However,the downloadable recordings will be sold at a later date. The attendees willreceive a discount. Demos in oils, watercolor and pastel.

"I highly recommend this course due to its practical applications"

When? July 13 to August 3
What time? 1 to 5 PM
How much? $21.99
Mediums? All
Level: All
Requirements: High speed internet (aprox. 1.5 MB download speed). An optional $3.99 USD may be required to remove commercial interruptions on UStream or you can install an ad blocker.

21.99 Register (http://www.northlightshop.com/landscape-painting-problem-solving-online-seminar)

Important note: After you make your payment you will have to register a second time at go to meeting or you
will not have access to the live video. Check your Northlight receipt for the registration link. PayPal payees send
a copy of your receipt to this email: [email protected] ([email protected]).

Jacdesusbielle
07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Hi Jo,
Can you explain the difference between streaming recordings ( when will that be possible to watch and for how long, several times ?) and the downloadable recordings we used to have after your other classes. I'll be missing 3 classes out of 4 but I absolutely want to follow your teaching which is a continuity of what you previously taught us. So before buying the recordings which are usually sold sooooo much later after the class, I want to know - and probably a lot of your students as well - if we can manage with the streaming version.
Glad to know you have not finished teaching us all your marvellous knowledge with so much talent and kindness.

Johannes Instructor
07-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi Jo,
Can you explain the difference between streaming recordings ( when will that be possible to watch and for how long, several times ?) and the downloadable recordings we used to have after your other classes. I'll be missing 3 classes out of 4 but I absolutely want to follow your teaching which is a continuity of what you previously taught us. So before buying the recordings which are usually sold sooooo much later after the class, I want to know - and probably a lot of your students as well - if we can manage with the streaming version.
Glad to know you have not finished teaching us all your marvellous knowledge with so much talent and kindness.
The streaming recordings would work like youtube. You can watch but not download for permanent storage unless you pay $9.99 extra. The downloadable recording will take about 2 months or so after this course is over. The streaming option will allow you to watch a missed class.

Johannes Instructor
07-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Just to clarify. The course is 4 Saturdays.

Johannes Instructor
07-03-2013, 12:10 AM
The streaming recordings would work like youtube. You can watch but not download for permanent storage unless you pay $9.99 extra. The downloadable recording will take about 2 months or so after this course is over. The streaming option will allow you to watch a missed class.
Correction! You would not pay $9.99 extra for the permanent download. It is $29.99 minus $21.99 = $8.00 so you would pay $ 8.00 for the stored version of the downloads.

TexasArt
07-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Jo, I am glad you are back. I have been checking often. Will you be telling us how to be ready and giving us the photos ahead? I am not very fast drawing and wouldn't mind a little notice. I am ready to get started.

TexasArt
07-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Oh, I see it now. Sharpie (thick) and titanium white acrylic. Got it.
Anything else?

Jacdesusbielle
07-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Thank you Jo for your precise answer. I'll watch the streaming and probably buy the downloadable recordings because I improve a lot when I watch and listen to you time and time again. It helps a great deal . You're the best teacher ever !

ToskaFromAlabama
07-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Jo, Are these workshops live like the paint along(s) to include live chat/questions and answers?

Thanks, glad to have you back.

Toska

Johannes Instructor
07-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Jo, I am glad you are back. I have been checking often. Will you be telling us how to be ready and giving us the photos ahead? I am not very fast drawing and wouldn't mind a little notice. I am ready to get started.
I will send you a PDF with the text and photos next week.

Johannes Instructor
07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Jo, Are these workshops live like the paint along(s) to include live chat/questions and answers?

Thanks, glad to have you back.

Toska
Yes live and I will be giving feedback on your work.

oCDs01-711
07-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Registered as soon as I received the email from Northlight! Moved from Louisiana to Nevada and excited to take another class with you. They are the best!!!

Shirley

paintncook
07-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi Jo,
It's been a long time since I joined in this group as I grew weary of the paintalongs and you didn't have any courses in the works. This one sounds very intriguing and glad you are back offering courses. I wonder if I remember how to go online with you. Is it still Livestream that you are using? Unfortunately, I will only be able to attend 2 of the 4. I hope I get lucky and they are the pastel and watercolor ones, lol.
Kathy

Johannes Instructor
07-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi Jo,
It's been a long time since I joined in this group as I grew weary of the paintalongs and you didn't have any courses in the works. This one sounds very intriguing and glad you are back offering courses. I wonder if I remember how to go online with you. Is it still Livestream that you are using? Unfortunately, I will only be able to attend 2 of the 4. I hope I get lucky and they are the pastel and watercolor ones, lol.
Kathy
When you sign up you will be given a web page with all the info.

nougat
07-04-2013, 05:38 AM
yay just registered!

nougat
07-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Jo i paid with paypal..do i have to email you the proof of purchase to receive your emails?

EDIT : hehe i must remember to always READ THE FINE PRINT!!! :)

Rosemarie
07-04-2013, 07:25 AM
And scroll down is wise too! ;)

nougat
07-04-2013, 07:43 AM
yes that i did!! :)

LynnM
07-04-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm in too, can only come to two sessions, but those will help me warm up for my trip, and I'll download later. Glad you are back, Joh!

nougat
07-04-2013, 10:38 AM
can someone pls explain what a sharpie is? i get it's a permanent marker but is the point round or chisled?

N.Ramchandran
07-04-2013, 10:47 AM
How Do I Pay $ 8.00 For The Streaming Video

nougat
07-04-2013, 11:15 AM
hi n ramchandran.
you have to pay $21.99 for the live class that will include the streaming videos (that you may watch online whenever you like)
when the downloads are ready (in a couple of months time) if you wish to purchase them you will then pay $8 more for the downloads that you can keep a copy of on your computer etc.

N.Ramchandran
07-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Many thanks for the info. I already paid 21.99.
and am eagerly looking forward to the classes.

Johannes Instructor
07-04-2013, 05:26 PM
can someone pls explain what a sharpie is? i get it's a permanent marker but is the point round or chisled?
http://www.sharpie.com/enPH/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=SharpieMagnumPermanentMarker

nougat
07-04-2013, 11:28 PM
thank you very much jo :)

Wetpaint0938
07-05-2013, 12:14 AM
HI Jo Glad your back and going to do this new class All signed up

nougat
07-05-2013, 12:14 AM
and what paper do we need?

Johannes Instructor
07-05-2013, 01:53 PM
and what paper do we need?
For the sharpie exercises just normal drawing writing paper as long as it is a white paper.

nougat
07-05-2013, 02:22 PM
oh ok thanks.

paintncook
07-05-2013, 06:04 PM
What is all this about Sharpies, etc.? Does this have anything to do with the upcoming course on Landscape Problem solving or is it discussion that belongs in a different thread? I don't see anything in the description of this course that calls for using Sharpies and Titanium white. I'm hoping that the Landscape Problem solving course will involve painting, not Sharpie drawings.

Johannes Instructor
07-05-2013, 11:52 PM
What is all this about Sharpies, etc.? Does this have anything to do with the upcoming course on Landscape Problem solving or is it discussion that belongs in a different thread? I don't see anything in the description of this course that calls for using Sharpies and Titanium white. I'm hoping that the Landscape Problem solving course will involve painting, not Sharpie drawings.

The attendees will do a few shape drawings with sharpie pens so they can focus only on shapes. The advantage of this tool is that it handles just like a brush. Then we will negative paint out some shapes. Of course we will do paintings. Please trust me that what we will be doing is in the best interest of all of you. Have I let you down so far? I am positive that some of you will say this is the best course I have ever given.

nougat
07-06-2013, 12:07 AM
paintncook
yes for the landscape course.
the sharpies and white are mentioned on the student page once you register.

nougat
07-06-2013, 12:10 AM
JO
you have instructions for oil/acrylic painters to prepare panels etc..what about those of us who use watercolours?

Johannes Instructor
07-06-2013, 10:15 AM
JO
you have instructions for oil/acrylic painters to prepare panels etc..what about those of us who use watercolours?
Just your normal supplies.

LynnM
07-06-2013, 10:36 AM
For watercolourists, would white gouache do instead of the acrylic white?

Johannes Instructor
07-06-2013, 12:22 PM
I have a question. Are you wetcanvas members getting newsletters from wetcanvas or artistsnetwork announcing this upcoming course?

LynnM
07-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Yes, I got one yesterday confirming my order. I got an announcement of the course in the WetCanvas newsletter on July 3, and of course your message about it. I don't see anything from artistsnetwork.

nougat
07-06-2013, 12:57 PM
like lynn i got the wet canvas announcement and your own message Jo..but i can't see anything from the artisnetwork...

nougat
07-06-2013, 12:59 PM
lynn..i believe on the student's page Jo says to have a sharpie and acrylic white WHATEVER MEDIUM you use...so i guess even we watercolourists must use acrylics for the particular drills.

Rosemarie
07-06-2013, 01:25 PM
I have a question. Are you wetcanvas members getting newsletters from wetcanvas or artistsnetwork announcing this upcoming course?

I did get one from you Johannes. I can't recall that I got any other message but I could have deleted it. Yours I have kept :D

paintncook
07-06-2013, 01:59 PM
The attendees will do a few shape drawings with sharpie pens so they can focus only on shapes. The advantage of this tool is that it handles just like a brush. Then we will negative paint out some shapes. Of course we will do paintings. Please trust me that what we will be doing is in the best interest of all of you. Have I let you down so far? I am positive that some of you will say this is the best course I have ever given.

No, of course you've never let me down. I was just confused when I didn't see anywhere a reference to sharpies except when all these questions arose regarding them. I know from previous watercolor lessons with other instructors that we all should be concentrating on shapes and simplification, not things and detail, so I suppose this exercise is to help in this regard. This sounds like a very worthwhile course and I'm so glad to see you back with this type of instruction.:thumbsup:

paintncook
07-06-2013, 02:05 PM
lynn..i believe on the student's page Jo says to have a sharpie and acrylic white WHATEVER MEDIUM you use...so i guess even we watercolourists must use acrylics for the particular drills.

Why wouldn't whatever is opaque and white work? I don't intend to start with acrylics - ever - so I'm going to use guoache unless Jo insists on the acrylics. For Jo I'll change my ways, but otherwise.....

paintncook
07-06-2013, 03:05 PM
I received notice via Wet Canvas Newsletter and by you.
I saw nothing from artistnetwork.

oCDs01-711
07-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Jo the only way I knew there was a class is that I check Partner: Wet Canvas Live! and found this thread. I jumped on it and registered. I went through my last month's email and don't see anything. Looking forward to this class.

Shirley

Tonalist
07-06-2013, 04:28 PM
I went back through my email trash to June 11th.. looking for something from ArtistNetwork about your class, but didn't find anything.

I first saw it on your web site.. So I was waiting for the registration date.
not paying much attention to anything else..

woody

Johannes Instructor
07-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Correct unless you want to buy liquid white out instead of titanium white. The idea is to practice negative painting out foliage shapes. This exercise applies to all mediums.

Johannes Instructor
07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
For watercolourists, would white gouache do instead of the acrylic white?
Yes, as long as it will cover the permanent black marker.

Johannes Instructor
07-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Why wouldn't whatever is opaque and white work? I don't intend to start with acrylics - ever - so I'm going to use guoache unless Jo insists on the acrylics. For Jo I'll change my ways, but otherwise.....
Correct whatever is opaque and will cover the marker.

Johannes Instructor
07-06-2013, 07:26 PM
I went back through my email trash to June 11th.. looking for something from ArtistNetwork about your class, but didn't find anything.

I first saw it on your web site.. So I was waiting for the registration date.
not paying much attention to anything else..

woody
The registration link is now available
http://www.northlightshop.com/landscape-painting-problem-solving-online-seminar

jillmc3
07-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Registered and ready! Please verify that we need a total of 20 9x12 surfaces prepared, 5 for each class, Jo. I know it said this on the student access page but I want to be sure before I purchase. Thanks and looking forward to this class!

Wetpaint0938
07-07-2013, 12:08 AM
I didn't find anything from Artist network either

emor3
07-07-2013, 04:23 PM
I found a great pad of paper for markers. It is Canson XL for Markers 9x12, and it even works on the Sharpie Magnum. It has 100 sheets, so it should be enough for the entire class. I got it at WalMart, so it wasn't too expensive. I'm looking forward to the class.

paintncook
07-07-2013, 05:03 PM
I found a great pad of paper for markers. It is Canson XL for Markers 9x12, and it even works on the Sharpie Magnum. It has 100 sheets, so it should be enough for the entire class. I got it at WalMart, so it wasn't too expensive. I'm looking forward to the class.
Thanks for the tip!

Johannes Instructor
07-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Registered and ready! Please verify that we need a total of 20 9x12 surfaces prepared, 5 for each class, Jo. I know it said this on the student access page but I want to be sure before I purchase. Thanks and looking forward to this class!Jill I cannot predict with certainty how many we will use. I asked for 5 the first class under the pretense that we may have a couple of left overs. It all depends how fast we progress.

TexasArt
07-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Jo, I happen to have a number of 11x14 or 8x10. Which would be better if I cant get to the supply store? Also, is there a big difference in Liquitex and the Daler Rowney gesso that I have on hand?

paintncook
07-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Jill I cannot predict with certainty how many we will use. I asked for 5 the first class under the pretense that we may have a couple of left overs. It all depends how fast we progress..

I understand the acrylic and oil painters will be using these prepared surfaces. Are these the surfaces that we will be using the Sharpie on and painting opaque white over? I am a watercolorist and want to know what type of surface I should have for this exercise. A previous post mentioned getting a pad from Walmart for the Sharpie exercise, but that wouldn't be a suitable surface for painting over with watercolor. Please explain what type of papers a watercolorist needs for this. Thanks, Kathy

TexasArt
07-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Hi paintncook
There is a gallery wrap canvas made for watercolor. Made by Fredrix, at most art supply stores and in catalogs. You can even was it off and reuse if you make a mess.

TexasArt
07-07-2013, 09:54 PM
paintncook,
I forgot to say that there is a gesso made especially for the Fredrix watercolor canvas. Comes in many sizes and also canvas boards.

Johannes Instructor
07-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Jo, I happen to have a number of 11x14 or 8x10. Which would be better if I cant get to the supply store? Also, is there a big difference in Liquitex and the Daler Rowney gesso that I have on hand?
The canvas size is fine. I am recommending Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso because the result will be thick impasto. It would be the equivalent of Gel Medium plus the gesso. The idea is I want the paint to break up.

Johannes Instructor
07-07-2013, 11:34 PM

I understand the acrylic and oil painters will be using these prepared surfaces. Are these the surfaces that we will be using the Sharpie on and painting opaque white over? I am a watercolorist and want to know what type of surface I should have for this exercise. A previous post mentioned getting a pad from Walmart for the Sharpie exercise, but that wouldn't be a suitable surface for painting over with watercolor. Please explain what type of papers a watercolorist needs for this. Thanks, Kathy
The Sharpie exercise goes on the white paper not the canvases or watercolor paper. For watercolor use your normal supplies. If you want you can alternate between cold pressed and rough. I would use rough paper for a dry brush effect when doing the deciduous trees.

nougat
07-07-2013, 11:57 PM
aah ok.. then i will purchase rough - cos my personal preference is smooth...what size shall i get? does it have to be 300gm or would can it be thinner - if we're not using a lot of water.
thanks

Johannes Instructor
07-08-2013, 09:04 AM
aah ok.. then i will purchase rough - cos my personal preference is smooth...what size shall i get? does it have to be 300gm or would can it be thinner - if we're not using a lot of water.
thanks
Sometimes we will do wet on wet. 300 lb avoids having to stretch if you wish to pay the extra money.

paintncook
07-08-2013, 09:37 AM
paintncook,
I forgot to say that there is a gesso made especially for the Fredrix watercolor canvas. Comes in many sizes and also canvas boards.

Yes, I have a pad of that Fredrix watercolor canvas. I don't like it because paint won't flow on it, but it does have the advantage of washing off. Apparently the Sharpie exercise is done on different paper as per Johannes in a following post, so I don't have to worry about it. I'll just scope out that pad of paper at Walmart for the Sharpie exercises and use my stock of watercolor paper for the other work Johannes has planned for us. I won't need to rough up the surface with gesso because I'll use rough watercolor paper. Thanks, Kathy

dartistflame
07-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Jo, I signed up for the class because I remembered hearing you mention it during Ken's drawing class (so I watched your site to see when I could sign up). I never got an email from Wetcanvas or any other art sight and I'm registered with several, about your class.

I have a question regarding the canvas for the classes...Are we just doing studies: ie: painting trees, rocks, shadows, buildings, etc. ? and NOT doing an actual full painting? if so, can we just use canvas paper for the exercises rather than canvases or canvas board to cut down on the expense of purchasing 20 canvases?....especially for those on moderate to fixed incomes.

nougat
07-08-2013, 02:45 PM
thank you jo.. i'll get the 300gms then like i usually do.

Johannes Instructor
07-08-2013, 07:58 PM
I hope you are excited as I am about your upcoming class in a few days.
I have been getting emails inquiring on how to prepare panels so I decided
to film a 3 minute tutorial which you can find at this link:
http://youtu.be/zLoHONNgGaU

Watercolor and pastel artists can ignore the above. If you paint with watercolor or
pastel just use your normal supplies. The individual sheets for practice can be
about 1/4 sheet. Mix up rough and cold pressed for watercolor.

See you soon,
Johannes

Johannes Instructor
07-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Jo, I signed up for the class because I remembered hearing you mention it during Ken's drawing class (so I watched your site to see when I could sign up). I never got an email from Wetcanvas or any other art sight and I'm registered with several, about your class.

I have a question regarding the canvas for the classes...Are we just doing studies: ie: painting trees, rocks, shadows, buildings, etc. ? and NOT doing an actual full painting? if so, can we just use canvas paper for the exercises rather than canvases or canvas board to cut down on the expense of purchasing 20 canvases?....especially for those on moderate to fixed incomes.
This course is only drills on foliage language and will be conducted like the paint alongs but zeroing in a specific topic. Many artists need this.

rib00
07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Jo,

Happy to see you offer this course on landscape problem solving. I think it's really needed. I've been in classes since the Painting from Photos and have found them fantastic.

Do you have any idea how soon after the live class the streaming will be available?

Also, how has the live streaming been behaving with the most recent paint alongs and with Kenneth's classes? In the past I've had problems with buffering which made the live classes nearly impossible to follow at times. Other times the streaming has been fine with no problems.

I love idea of having the streaming recordings available after the live classes. Looking forward to this class.

Johannes Instructor
07-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Jo,

Happy to see you offer this course on landscape problem solving. I think it's really needed. I've been in classes since the Painting from Photos and have found them fantastic.

Do you have any idea how soon after the live class the streaming will be available?

Also, how has the live streaming been behaving with the most recent paint alongs and with Kenneth's classes? In the past I've had problems with buffering which made the live classes nearly impossible to follow at times. Other times the streaming has been fine with no problems.

I love idea of having the streaming recordings available after the live classes. Looking forward to this class.
They should take a few days after each class.

Banner
07-09-2013, 02:19 AM
Registered and waiting for your next class this is magic Jo

paintncook
07-09-2013, 10:49 AM
They should take a few days after each class.

This is fantastic for me because I work every other Saturday so will miss two of the live classes. I am SO glad I'll be able to watch the missed classes after I get off work.:)

Artz54
07-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the video Jo. Very helpful. It's a gesso day! See you Saturday.

jmcedeno
07-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Jo, I'll be working on rough watercolor paper Pad, would I need to apply the sienna underpainting to all the sheets in advance or could will be done at the same day of the class?

paintncook
07-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Jo, I'll be working on rough watercolor paper Pad, would I need to apply the sienna underpainting to all the sheets in advance or could will be done at the same day of the class?
My understanding is that we watercolorists don't have to worry about any of that underpainting.

nougat
07-09-2013, 04:13 PM
that's what i think too! just our usual supplies + rough and smooth paper.

Johannes Instructor
07-09-2013, 11:34 PM
No under painting for watercolor. Is your paper 100% cotton?

nougat
07-10-2013, 10:13 AM
YES the rough i just purchased IS! hope that's ok!
it was very pricey but the neighbourhood shop i go to has decided not to stock art supplies any more :( and that was all they had left!!!

Johannes Instructor
07-10-2013, 04:45 PM
YES the rough i just purchased IS! hope that's ok!
it was very pricey but the neighbourhood shop i go to has decided not to stock art supplies any more :( and that was all they had left!!!
The rough paper will give you broken strokes to indicate foliage.

SusanR
07-11-2013, 05:30 PM
I read in earlier post that a pdf and photos were to be emailed this week, but to date have not received anything. Was something emailed and I did not receive it?

Thanks, and so looking forward to this course!!

Susan

rib00
07-11-2013, 08:17 PM
When you sign up you will be given a web page with all the info.

I am signed up and have gotten my confirmation, but have not received a link to the web page.

Johannes Instructor
07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
I am signed up and have gotten my confirmation, but have not received a link to the web page.
Email me your receipt

Banner
07-12-2013, 01:25 AM
I have not received an E - Mail with a PDF or pics either

nougat
07-12-2013, 02:34 AM
nor me

olva
07-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Nor me.

LynnM
07-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Nor me

Sgourlayart
07-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I did get an Email from Johannes with reference to a YouTube video he made on panel preparation. Here it is for any who did not get it from him: http://youtu.be/zLoHONNgGaU What I was not sure of and would ask Johannes is: Do we need to have all our panels toned with burnt sienna if we are painting in oils or acrylics? Stu

paintncook
07-12-2013, 10:51 AM
I haven't received an email with a link to photos or pdf either. Tomorrow is the day so hope they get on it quickly!!!!

nougat
07-12-2013, 11:15 AM
stu
i believe in the student access page there's written that (i think) 2 panels need to be toned.

Johannes Instructor
07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I have not received an E - Mail with a PDF or pics either
Some of you are expecting ref photos because of the previous paint alongs. This workshop will be conducted a different way. You are expected to follow my footsteps this time. I will be showing problematic areas in a powerpoint presentation however during the class and those do have ref photos but the idea is to modify those photos not copy them.

paintncook
07-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Some of you are expecting ref photos because of the previous paint alongs. This workshop will be conducted a different way. You are expected to follow my footsteps this time. I will be showing problematic areas in a powerpoint presentation however during the class and those do have ref photos but the idea is to modify those photos not copy them.

Good, I thought I must be missing something because everybody was saying they didn't get a link to photos. Thanks for clearing that up! Don't you every lose patience with us? I can imagine you thinking, "Now what!!" or "What next!"

nougat
07-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Good, I thought I must be missing something because everybody was saying they didn't get a link to photos. Thanks for clearing that up! Don't you every lose patience with us? I can imagine you thinking, "Now what!!" or "What next!"

HEHEHE!!
so true paintncook!!

thank you Jo - apologies...(but we're soooo keen!!! :) )

nougat
07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
just received an email from norhtlight..my last chance to register for jo's course...

Johannes Instructor
07-12-2013, 05:50 PM
No it's ok. You are devoted artists.

TexasArt
07-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Jo - on page 1 on 7/3/13 you said "I will send you a PDF with the text and photos next week." What did I miss? I have not received anything on either email or forum - Except for that I'M READY!

Johannes Instructor
07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Jo - on page 1 on 7/3/13 you said "I will send you a PDF with the text and photos next week." What did I miss? I have not received anything on either email or forum - Except for that I'M READY!
Tomorrow just before class.

Sgourlayart
07-12-2013, 11:24 PM
stu
i believe in the student access page there's written that (i think) 2 panels need to be toned.Thanks Nougat, I toned 5, but I have plenty of untoned panels. Stu

do4silks
07-13-2013, 03:29 AM
I am excited about the class tomorrow on 7/13/13.:clap: I cannot seem to find the photo and drawing you mentioned. Please let me know where I can get it prior to class.
Warm regards,
Francine

nougat
07-13-2013, 08:29 AM
stu if i'm not mistaken you will need all your toned panels cos i believe jo said 5 for EACH CLASS of which 2 should be toned.

paintncook
07-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Tomorrow just before class.

Jo is just intensifying the anticipation with this last minute 'reveal' haha, My anxiety level is at the max now for fear of missing the email. Got everything assembled and couldn't find my already opened white gouache - have to use a new tube. Just wish I knew what to expect to be better organized!:confused:

nougat
07-13-2013, 11:43 AM
OOH!! the ustream page is not working at the moment!!! it was there a little while ago!! up and running!! :(

Rosemarie
07-13-2013, 11:50 AM
It is working! You have to use the button in the student page we got an url for.

nougat
07-13-2013, 11:59 AM
OOOH ustream is not working at all!! oh no!!!

nougat
07-13-2013, 12:01 PM
that is the button i use rosemarie..i was on the site chatting to nona from brazil!! and now nothing!!! oh! not even ustream at all!!

janinco
07-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Did you got to ImproveMyPaintings.com and click on "watch live class" on the menu?

http://improvemypaintings.com/VideoAccess.html

gourdalicious
07-13-2013, 05:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2013/990382-IMG_0070_672x800.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2013/990382-IMG_0071_645x800.jpg

Others done in class, WC & pastel

Katmai
07-13-2013, 05:48 PM
I am a newbie to your courses and I am very pleased with this first one on Saturday. As a watercolor painter, I was skeptical of the marker, and got worried when you started in oil and built on it, (watercolorists have to do the opposite). You went to the marker and I dutifully followed along then all of a sudden I said to myself "Oh my goodness, I HAVE A TREE. And for once it looks good". If you would have told me that I needed to take a course with a marker to teach me to be a better painter, I would have laughed.

And that would be my only recommendation. Stay with the markers as much as possible, they are cross medium. I found myself "tuning out" while you worked on oil, because I would have to be a mind reader to know how to do it backwards for watercolor. And I noticed so many were worried about the paint. How much, what size brush, what kind ... etc.

I used a big Prismacolor double ended marker

http://www.prismacolor.com/products/art-markers/double-ended

you can get these in colors and I wonder how effective it would be to work with them to keep people from getting distracted with the paints or pastels.

ToskaFromAlabama
07-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Great class as usual. Glad to see newbies --eyes wide open! I like the sharpie for design concepts. But won't work for smooth/hard edges etc.
Here is my shot at first exercise (watercolor). I didn't want to drag out the oils for exercises.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2013/1146577-first_exercise.jpg

mickisew
07-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Hi Johannes:

This was an excellent class - as we expected. :-) The review of our previous classes is always helpful, and incorporating the marker is such a great idea. The "Island Technique" makes it come together in a most understandable way. I like it!

Thank you for all you do for us.

Micki

paintncook
07-13-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm going to confess to having used a 1/2 or 3/4 inch flat watercolor brush, holding the brush like Johannes demonstrated, instead of the Sharpie and it worked quite well. It certainly loosens you up and makes for a better looking painting. I remember doing this same exercise with Johannes before with the oval shape and taking bites out of it to get rid of the symmetrical tree shape. I'll be babysitting all next week so won't be doing the homework, but I do think I get the point and will certainly apply the 'island' technique when confronted with doing this type of tree in the future. Like Katmai, I too had to think like a watercolorist in doing that line of trees and I'm glad Jo did a demo in watercolor as well.
Kathy

Johannes Instructor
07-13-2013, 09:26 PM
I am a newbie to your courses and I am very pleased with this first one on Saturday. As a watercolor painter, I was skeptical of the marker, and got worried when you started in oil and built on it, (watercolorists have to do the opposite). You went to the marker and I dutifully followed along then all of a sudden I said to myself "Oh my goodness, I HAVE A TREE. And for once it looks good". If you would have told me that I needed to take a course with a marker to teach me to be a better painter, I would have laughed.

And that would be my only recommendation. Stay with the markers as much as possible, they are cross medium. I found myself "tuning out" while you worked on oil, because I would have to be a mind reader to know how to do it backwards for watercolor. And I noticed so many were worried about the paint. How much, what size brush, what kind ... etc.

I used a big Prismacolor double ended marker

http://www.prismacolor.com/products/art-markers/double-ended

you can get these in colors and I wonder how effective it would be to work with them to keep people from getting distracted with the paints or pastels.
Katmai,
The marker segment was not a painting technique but a way for the attendees to solely worry about creating pleasing shapes. The whiteout part was to train artists to think in negative shapes. No matter what medium you use if your shapes do not look attractive the painting will collapse.
Foliage is usually an invitation for creating symmetrical shapes.

Johannes Instructor
07-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Great class as usual. Glad to see newbies --eyes wide open! I like the sharpie for design concepts. But won't work for smooth/hard edges etc.
Here is my shot at first exercise (watercolor). I didn't want to drag out the oils for exercises.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2013/1146577-first_exercise.jpg
This looks nice but I wanted the sharpie tree to only consider the shape.

ToskaFromAlabama
07-14-2013, 09:15 AM
This looks nice but I wanted the sharpie tree to only consider the shape.

This wasn't the sharpie exercise, I posted that under the homework thread. This was the first painting you did in oil of the line of trees across the Ohio River.

I spoke out of turn about the sharpie. I was responding to the comment made by a student about using the sharpie for the rest of the lessons.

Katmai
07-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Katmai,
The marker segment was not a painting technique but a way for the attendees to solely worry about creating pleasing shapes. The whiteout part was to train artists to think in negative shapes. No matter what medium you use if your shapes do not look attractive the painting will collapse.
Foliage is usually an invitation for creating symmetrical shapes.

Will the other classes contain as much work with the markers to teach design? Or will you move into specific medium techniques working with oil, watercolor and pastels? (I am personally hoping for more marker work, it was truly eye opening)

Johannes Instructor
07-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Will the other classes contain as much work with the markers to teach design? Or will you move into specific medium techniques working with oil, watercolor and pastels? (I am personally hoping for more marker work, it was truly eye opening)
Combination of both. We get the abstract shape right then we paint another sample to implement color variegation and 3D effect.

just having fun
07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
How about a quick lession on the color wheel , having trouble with mixing colors to get the right hue. Thanks Everett

Johannes Instructor
07-15-2013, 06:43 PM
How about a quick lession on the color wheel , having trouble with mixing colors to get the right hue. Thanks Everett
Here is an easy approach.
Instead of a color wheel think of a clock. Each hour on the clock is a hue which are twelve.
Steps:
1. Ignore the color but identify only what time it is on the clock. That means only locate the hue even if it is grayed down.
2. Determine the value if is light mid, mid or mid dark,
3. Calculate how grayed down it is with the opposite hues,

That's all you need to get to a certain color.

paintncook
07-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Here is an easy approach.
Instead of a color wheel think of a clock. Each hour on the clock is a hue which are twelve.
Steps:
1. Ignore the color but identify only what time it is on the clock. That means only locate the hue even if it is grayed down.
2. Determine the value if is light mid, mid or mid dark,
3. Calculate how grayed down it is with the opposite hues,

That's all you need to get to a certain color.

Boy, am I confused now. I use a color wheel (actually it is in my head) and use the opposing color on the wheel to gray my color. Because I use watercolor, the use of white doesn't come into the picture - water is used to lighten the hue. Could you explain the clock reference? For example you could designate Blue at 12:00, Red at 12:20, and Yellow at 12:40? Then Purple is 12:10, Orange is 12:30. and Green is 12:50? Then to gray down the Orange at 12:30, you go opposite on the clock from 12:30 and pick up a bit of Blue at 12:00. Is this what you mean? Otherwise, I don't think I get it, not unusual for me, lol.
Kathy

Sgourlayart
07-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Boy, am I confused now. I use a color wheel (actually it is in my head) and use the opposing color on the wheel to gray my color. Because I use watercolor, the use of white doesn't come into the picture - water is used to lighten the hue. Could you explain the clock reference? For example you could designate Blue at 12:00, Red at 12:20, and Yellow at 12:40? Then Purple is 12:10, Orange is 12:30. and Green is 12:50? Then to gray down the Orange at 12:30, you go opposite on the clock from 12:30 and pick up a bit of Blue at 12:00. Is this what you mean? Otherwise, I don't think I get it, not unusual for me, lol.
Kathy
Kathy, think of 12 o'clock as yellow, 6 o'clock as violet, etc. and this will make sense to you. Stu

Linda Reyes1959
07-17-2013, 12:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/978726-002.JPG My trees.

Linda Reyes1959
07-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Sorry, I put my home work in the wrong thread.

Sheri Hammond
07-17-2013, 02:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/678462-DSC07940_1.jpg

paintncook
07-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Kathy, think of 12 o'clock as yellow, 6 o'clock as violet, etc. and this will make sense to you. Stu
I think you are saying the same thing I did only I used a one hour reference and put blue at 12:00 and Orange at 12:30. IOW, I am just using one hour instead of 12 hours. What I didn't understand from Johannes is how he is relating the values, or the amount of graying, not the hues, to the clock.

To me it is easier to relate the color wheel to one hour instead of 12 hours, because I have to think, "Now where is 8:00, 3:00, etc. and what color relates to that. To me, somehow, saying 12:20, 12:40, etc. is easier. If you can explain the values in relation to the clock, please do, because I don't get it, unless you say at 12:00 noon the sun is brightest and lightest hue: yellow and by 6:00 the sun starts to set and sky turns purple, a darker hue. At 2:00 pm it is blistering hot: 0range, and at 10:00 pm it has cooled off: Green. :lol: I know I am getting ridiculous at this point.
Kathy
Kathy

Sgourlayart
07-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Kathy, the color wheel is used to determine the hue and the amount of graying of the hue by addition of its compliment. It is not used to determine the value; you would use a value scale for this; but that's tough for saturated colors. Each tube color, applied to the ground full strength right out of the tube, will have it's own value. This of course can be modified by the addition of black or white or in the case of water media of water itself. Each color has hue, saturation and value as its attributes. I would suggest James Gurney's recent (2010) book on color and light for the realist painter and/or Richard Robinson's DVD course "Mastering Color" as excellent resources on this difficult topic. I hope this did not confuse things further. Stu

paintncook
07-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Kathy, the color wheel is used to determine the hue and the amount of graying of the hue by addition of its compliment. It is not used to determine the value; you would use a value scale for this; but that's tough for saturated colors. Each tube color, applied to the ground full strength right out of the tube, will have it's own value. This of course can be modified by the addition of black or white or in the case of water media of water itself. Each color has hue, saturation and value as its attributes. I would suggest James Gurney's recent (2010) book on color and light for the realist painter and/or Richard Robinson's DVD course "Mastering Color" as excellent resources on this difficult topic. I hope this did not confuse things further. Stu
Stu,
Yeah, I know all that. It should be the first thing you learn when starting out. It's just that Johannes was referring to value in his answer to that student about using the clock instead of a color wheel. I suppose he didn't mean to use the clock to determine value. I really didn't just fall off the turnip truck,;) but thanks anyway, lol. Kathy

Sgourlayart
07-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Stu,
Yeah, I know all that. It should be the first thing you learn when starting out. It's just that Johannes was referring to value in his answer to that student about using the clock instead of a color wheel. I suppose he didn't mean to use the clock to determine value. I really didn't just fall off the turnip truck,;) but thanks anyway, lol. Kathy
Hey Kathy, did you paint a lot when you were in the Ozarks last year? I haven't seen you post any paintings for awhile; but then JV hasn't done any paintalongs recently. I know you are an experienced artist from seeing your work, but sometimes it's hard to know how much artists really know about difficult subjects like color. JV has a habit of posting somewhat vague explanations at times. I don't think too much about color wheels and value scales usually, I kind of just mix until I get it right using a very limited palette. Stu

paintncook
07-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Hey Kathy, did you paint a lot when you were in the Ozarks last year? I haven't seen you post any paintings for awhile; but then JV hasn't done any paintalongs recently. I know you are an experienced artist from seeing your work, but sometimes it's hard to know how much artists really know about difficult subjects like color. JV has a habit of posting somewhat vague explanations at times. I don't think too much about color wheels and value scales usually, I kind of just mix until I get it right using a very limited palette. Stu
Stu,
I paint like that too. I already know the complements and sort of know the colors to make a gray I like, but a lot of it is hit and miss. Before leaving for the Ozarks I started using gouache and it reminds me of how I used to like painting before I had a family and no longer had time for it. I used to use casein paint and really liked it. I haven't done much painting lately - none in the Ozarks. I did a couple of watercolor/gouache paintings that I didn't post, but entered in the gallery in Hemet and then in the gallery in the nearest town in the Ozarks. I got a second and a first on them in both galleries and for the same paintings. I have been crocheting and reading a lot and need to start painting again, another reason I signed up for Johannes' latest course. Maybe I'll purchase some casein paints when I feel flush and see if I still like using them. I couldn't follow what was going on in this group at all in the Ozarks. It costs too much to sign up for any Internet service when we aren't there long enough. I was really making joke about that color wheel clock business, clock or color wheel, it makes little difference, just remember what your complements are and whether the red or blue you use is a cool or a warm one. You can make a nasty looking purple if you use the wrong red with the wrong blue, haha.
Kathy

Sgourlayart
07-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Stu,
I paint like that too. I already know the complements and sort of know the colors to make a gray I like, but a lot of it is hit and miss. Before leaving for the Ozarks I started using gouache and it reminds me of how I used to like painting before I had a family and no longer had time for it. I used to use casein paint and really liked it. I haven't done much painting lately - none in the Ozarks. I did a couple of watercolor/gouache paintings that I didn't post, but entered in the gallery in Hemet and then in the gallery in the nearest town in the Ozarks. I got a second and a first on them in both galleries and for the same paintings. I have been crocheting and reading a lot and need to start painting again, another reason I signed up for Johannes' latest course. Maybe I'll purchase some casein paints when I feel flush and see if I still like using them. I couldn't follow what was going on in this group at all in the Ozarks. It costs too much to sign up for any Internet service when we aren't there long enough. I was really making joke about that color wheel clock business, clock or color wheel, it makes little difference, just remember what your complements are and whether the red or blue you use is a cool or a warm one. You can make a nasty looking purple if you use the wrong red with the wrong blue, haha.
KathyKathy, nice to see you back on this site. Schminke makes some nice casein paints. Larry Seiler, also on Wet Canvas Live, recently did a whole course on guache and frequently paints in that medium. I have painted in guache, but never with casein paints. i did paint only in acrylics for many years. Now I paint mostly in oils with an occasional acrylic or watercolor. I look forward to seeing some of your watercolors in upcoming courses. I think Johannes will go back to the paintalongs after this course. He is also writing a book for F & W. We know that he already has all the illustrations and probably most of the text from all his courses. Stu

paintncook
07-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Kathy, nice to see you back on this site. Schminke makes some nice casein paints. Larry Seiler, also on Wet Canvas Live, recently did a whole course on guache and frequently paints in that medium. I have painted in guache, but never with casein paints. i did paint only in acrylics for many years. Now I paint mostly in oils with an occasional acrylic or watercolor. I look forward to seeing some of your watercolors in upcoming courses. I think Johannes will go back to the paintalongs after this course. He is also writing a book for F & W. We know that he already has all the illustrations and probably most of the text from all his courses. Stu
Thanks for the casein recommendation. It is not easy to find. Cheap Joe's and Daniel Smith doesn't sell it, for example. Gouache is not as heavy. Casein is nice in that they wash out of your brushes and clothing like watercolor, unlike acrylic and I tend to paint in a more abstract way with it - or I used to, anyway. Sorry I missed out on Larry Seiler. I haven't paid any attention to what's out there online. I've bought nearly all of Johannes' courses and I look forward to what he has in store on Saturday. I am also glad he is letting us watch it later in the week, because I won't be able to next Saturday. He's done that study with the tree in the oval before so hope he'll cover new territory.
Kathy

Sgourlayart
07-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the casein recommendation. It is not easy to find. Cheap Joe's and Daniel Smith doesn't sell it, for example. Gouache is not as heavy. Casein is nice in that they wash out of your brushes and clothing like watercolor, unlike acrylic and I tend to paint in a more abstract way with it - or I used to, anyway. Sorry I missed out on Larry Seiler. I haven't paid any attention to what's out there online. I've bought nearly all of Johannes' courses and I look forward to what he has in store on Saturday. I am also glad he is letting us watch it later in the week, because I won't be able to next Saturday. He's done that study with the tree in the oval before so hope he'll cover new territory.
KathyDick Blick carries casein paints both online and in stores. Jerry's Arterama also carries many lines of gauche and I'm pretty sure casein paints. I buy Scminke's casein medium and add it to my acrylic gesso for improved bonding of oils; I buy it at Blick's store in Berkeley. Stu

Johannes Instructor
07-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Kathy
The clock is the same as the color wheel but it is easier to visualize the hues if you equate them with the hours on the clock so yellow is 12:00, blue is 4:00, red is 8:00 etc

Johannes Instructor
07-19-2013, 09:34 AM
I think you are saying the same thing I did only I used a one hour reference and put blue at 12:00 and Orange at 12:30. IOW, I am just using one hour instead of 12 hours. What I didn't understand from Johannes is how he is relating the values, or the amount of graying, not the hues, to the clock.

To me it is easier to relate the color wheel to one hour instead of 12 hours, because I have to think, "Now where is 8:00, 3:00, etc. and what color relates to that. To me, somehow, saying 12:20, 12:40, etc. is easier. If you can explain the values in relation to the clock, please do, because I don't get it, unless you say at 12:00 noon the sun is brightest and lightest hue: yellow and by 6:00 the sun starts to set and sky turns purple, a darker hue. At 2:00 pm it is blistering hot: 0range, and at 10:00 pm it has cooled off: Green. :lol: I know I am getting ridiculous at this point.
Kathy
Kathy
The values are no in relation to the clock/ The key of the clock is that there are many more than 12 hues when you intermix. So what helps is that a hue can be a blue green but only slightly a blue green so it may be located as 3:45 on the clock. 3 o'clock being blue green. If you understand the color wheel very well then the clock scenario will have little value for you.
Basically there are three ways to match a color
1. pinpoint the hue
2. determine what value it is
3. judge how de-saturated it is or how grayed down it is.

paintncook
07-19-2013, 10:32 AM
The values are no in relation to the clock/ The key of the clock is that there are many more than 12 hues when you intermix. So what helps is that a hue can be a blue green but only slightly a blue green so it may be located as 3:45 on the clock. 3 o'clock being blue green. If you understand the color wheel very well then the clock scenario will have little value for you.
Basically there are three ways to match a color
1. pinpoint the hue
2. determine what value it is
3. judge how de-saturated it is or how grayed down it is.

Thanks Jo,
I started to get silly in my answer to Stu. I guess you could say I understand the color wheel and how it is used to gray colors. Complements placed next to each other create vibrancy, avoid mud by mixing colors together that don't have elements of all of the three primary colors, etc. It is hard for me to remember all the good painting principles when I paint, however.
Kathy

Sgourlayart
07-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks Jo,
I started to get silly in my answer to Stu. I guess you could say I understand the color wheel and how it is used to gray colors. Complements placed next to each other create vibrancy, avoid mud by mixing colors together that don't have elements of all of the three primary colors, etc. It is hard for me to remember all the good painting principles when I paint, however.
KathyRight, Kathy! It's like all these principle's, commandments and nuggets won't flow from our brains to our fingers and along the brush handle to the bristles. Funny how you pick up that big Sharpie marker and it all happens with the "Island" technique; I think that this is the biggest golden nugget so far. Maybe if we glue a cut-off (just above the ferrule) brush to the sharpie handle we can do the same thing with our brushes?
Stu

Artcat369
07-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Hi Jo - the following is the definition and example of "counterchange" that I asked about in your class today. The following was posted by Bill Teitsworth. I just can't remember where else I read/heard about it. It might have been on one of E. John Robinson's dvds in painting the sea against rocks.

I thought it would be useful in depicting branches of a tree...and from the demo below, that seems to be the case.

Also, we (in the chat sidebar) had an interesting short discussion about gaining college credits for your courses. Honestly, I've learned more from you and Ken in the few courses I took through Wetcanvas and Northlight than I did in my freshman (and only) year at the Tyler School of Art in Phila. PA back in the '80s!

The quality of your lessons (not to mention the abilities and qualities of the instructors!) far exceed that from my art school experience. So, I wonder what it would take to have your courses "accredited". Then, I wonder if after a comprehensive syllabus of fine art requirements through you and any other resources, we could "graduate" with a fine arts degree. This could be after submitting a portfolio to a "governing body" and undergoing a day of interviews, questions, etc. - in essence like a "GED" but at the college level, or higher! With higher ed now so prevalent on-line, why can't studio and fine arts be included??? Have you thought about inquiring about this? I'd be the first to sign up!!!

Anyway, here is an example and definition of counterchange and how it can enhance the landscape problem of trees and other landscape challenges:

http://d2918aghi3b457.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tam_jun09_drawingboard1.jpg?f80220
Sugar Shack (permanent marker, 5¼x7)

There is a simple way of improving the readability and impact of your drawings by a purposeful alternation of value contrasts. It’s called counterchange, and here’s how it works:
Imagine a telephone pole lying on the ground. As you’d expect, it would be the same color and value from end to end. But if you imagine it in its normal position, upright and seen against the sky as well as against the darker ground, the pole would appear to change in value from top to bottom.
Seen against the sky, it would be a dark silhouette with no detail. Lower down, with the darks and midtones of the landscape behind it, it would appear relatively lighter, and you would be able to make out details and colors within the silhouette.
That’s the theoretical part of counterchange. To put it into practice is just as simple: When you have a shape with a long axis that crosses light and dark pieces, grade the value of the shape from light to dark so that it contrasts with the background. That’s it!
Counterchange is a handy technique, and a great way to improve readability, as you can see in my marker drawing Sugar Shack (above). Because I had only black and white to work with, I had to be rather obvious in forcing the value of the tree limbs as they came against the light and dark pieces behind them.
Still, the resulting pattern is much closer to the way we actually see than if I had made the limbs one value from top to bottom. And the “checkerboard” pattern of black and white adds interest to this simple subject.
Points to remember:
1. Counterchange is a visual phenomenon, and a function of the way our eyes adjust to extreme value contrasts. You can approximate it by setting your digital camera to “auto-exposure” and pointing it at a tree against the sky. Try it!
2. Once you’ve been alerted to the idea of counterchange, you’ll begin to see it out in nature.
3. To express the excitement of the visual world in your drawings, you need to “excite” your paper with contrasts of all kinds. Using the “checkerboard” of counterchange is a good way to do that.
4. Remember that you can alter the value of any piece in your drawing, according to your intentions and the needs of your drawing. You don’t have to make your telephone pole one solid midtone just because it appears that way in your photo-reference.
5. When you start to use counterchange in your work, you needn’t be as obvious about it as I was, of necessity, in Sugar Shack. With a full value-range, you can be much more subtle and still get your message across.
To learn Teitsworth’s five tips for working with permanent markers, click here (http://www.artistsnetwork.com/article/teitsworth-markers).
Bill Teitsworth is a workshop instructor and signature member of the National Watercolor Society and the 2006 winner of the Milford and Patricia Zornes Award. See his website at www.etstudioart.com

Johannes Instructor
07-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi Jo - the following is the definition and example of "counterchange" that I asked about in your class today. The following was posted by Bill Teitsworth. I just can't remember where else I read/heard about it. It might have been on one of E. John Robinson's dvds in painting the sea against rocks.

I thought it would be useful in depicting branches of a tree...and from the demo below, that seems to be the case.

Also, we (in the chat sidebar) had an interesting short discussion about gaining college credits for your courses. Honestly, I've learned more from you and Ken in the few courses I took through Wetcanvas and Northlight than I did in my freshman (and only) year at the Tyler School of Art in Phila. PA back in the '80s!

The quality of your lessons (not to mention the abilities and qualities of the instructors!) far exceed that from my art school experience. So, I wonder what it would take to have your courses "accredited". Then, I wonder if after a comprehensive syllabus of fine art requirements through you and any other resources, we could "graduate" with a fine arts degree. This could be after submitting a portfolio to a "governing body" and undergoing a day of interviews, questions, etc. - in essence like a "GED" but at the college level, or higher! With higher ed now so prevalent on-line, why can't studio and fine arts be included??? Have you thought about inquiring about this? I'd be the first to sign up!!!

Anyway, here is an example and definition of counterchange and how it can enhance the landscape problem of trees and other landscape challenges:

http://d2918aghi3b457.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tam_jun09_drawingboard1.jpg?f80220
Sugar Shack (permanent marker, 5¼x7)

There is a simple way of improving the readability and impact of your drawings by a purposeful alternation of value contrasts. It’s called counterchange, and here’s how it works:
Imagine a telephone pole lying on the ground. As you’d expect, it would be the same color and value from end to end. But if you imagine it in its normal position, upright and seen against the sky as well as against the darker ground, the pole would appear to change in value from top to bottom.
Seen against the sky, it would be a dark silhouette with no detail. Lower down, with the darks and midtones of the landscape behind it, it would appear relatively lighter, and you would be able to make out details and colors within the silhouette.
That’s the theoretical part of counterchange. To put it into practice is just as simple: When you have a shape with a long axis that crosses light and dark pieces, grade the value of the shape from light to dark so that it contrasts with the background. That’s it!
Counterchange is a handy technique, and a great way to improve readability, as you can see in my marker drawing Sugar Shack (above). Because I had only black and white to work with, I had to be rather obvious in forcing the value of the tree limbs as they came against the light and dark pieces behind them.
Still, the resulting pattern is much closer to the way we actually see than if I had made the limbs one value from top to bottom. And the “checkerboard” pattern of black and white adds interest to this simple subject.
Points to remember:
1. Counterchange is a visual phenomenon, and a function of the way our eyes adjust to extreme value contrasts. You can approximate it by setting your digital camera to “auto-exposure” and pointing it at a tree against the sky. Try it!
2. Once you’ve been alerted to the idea of counterchange, you’ll begin to see it out in nature.
3. To express the excitement of the visual world in your drawings, you need to “excite” your paper with contrasts of all kinds. Using the “checkerboard” of counterchange is a good way to do that.
4. Remember that you can alter the value of any piece in your drawing, according to your intentions and the needs of your drawing. You don’t have to make your telephone pole one solid midtone just because it appears that way in your photo-reference.
5. When you start to use counterchange in your work, you needn’t be as obvious about it as I was, of necessity, in Sugar Shack. With a full value-range, you can be much more subtle and still get your message across.
To learn Teitsworth’s five tips for working with permanent markers, click here (http://www.artistsnetwork.com/article/teitsworth-markers).
Bill Teitsworth is a workshop instructor and signature member of the National Watercolor Society and the 2006 winner of the Milford and Patricia Zornes Award. See his website at www.etstudioart.com (http://www.etstudioart.com)

Ken and I both thank you for your nice words about our courses. These comments really motivate us. I did pitch the accreditation idea to The CEO of FWMedia when they filmed. I also think it would be a great thing to have. Hopefully they do something about it. Thanks for the counterchange definition. I knew the concept not the word and yes this does apply to what I was talking about which is in which twigs get lighter as they thin out and approach the light sky.

Tonalist
07-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Absolutely a Great class today Jo...

woody

Artcat369
07-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi Jo...Keep us informed if it looks like the process of accreditation is a possibility!

Yesterday's class was absolutely fantastic! The actual painting process with you explaining just why a stroke is placed finally makes sense! The concept of "counterchange" was one which I had only briefly and recently heard about...so, with your demos and explanations yesterday, it finally made sense to me. I know this will enhance everyone's landscapes, especially trees!

Here's hoping your power is back on...thanks again for your time, and being such a wonderful instructor! :thumbsup: ~ Adele

BetGee
07-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Not sure where to post this but I can't seem to get the streaming video for Saturday's class. It was working when Jo signed off on Saturday but I can't get it now.

nougat
07-23-2013, 12:29 AM
jo will tell us when its available in a couple of days time:)

sherrysherman
07-23-2013, 01:36 AM
The streaming video was available immediately after class. Just go to his website, click Watch Live Class, click on Go To Video, type in the password, and you'll be able to choose any one of the four recorded pieces so far (two each from 7/13 and 7/20).

Rosemarie
07-23-2013, 04:39 AM
They are not there anymore, Sherry!

Johannes Instructor
07-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Hi Jo...Keep us informed if it looks like the process of accreditation is a possibility!

Yesterday's class was absolutely fantastic! The actual painting process with you explaining just why a stroke is placed finally makes sense! The concept of "counterchange" was one which I had only briefly and recently heard about...so, with your demos and explanations yesterday, it finally made sense to me. I know this will enhance everyone's landscapes, especially trees!

Here's hoping your power is back on...thanks again for your time, and being such a wonderful instructor! :thumbsup: ~ Adele
In the meantime I will give you a certificate issued by FWMedia that states the course.

Johannes Instructor
07-23-2013, 08:39 AM
The streaming video was available immediately after class. Just go to his website, click Watch Live Class, click on Go To Video, type in the password, and you'll be able to choose any one of the four recorded pieces so far (two each from 7/13 and 7/20).
I took them down Sherry in order to give you my video cam demo rather than the Ustream recording. The video cam recording is more pristine.

paintncook
07-23-2013, 09:39 AM
I took them down Sherry in order to give you my video cam demo rather than the Ustream recording. The video cam recording is more pristine.
How soon will the latest class video cam be available? I've been going to the site daily, but only the first class is posted. I'm anxious to see what I missed last Saturday.
Kathy

just having fun
07-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Just a question, will there be anymore Paintalongs and will the classes be shorter. I think a lot of your students enjoyed the Saturday classes.

mountaingal
07-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I enjoy a longer class time, like July13, because I really value every tidbit of info I can get...Also looking forward to the 7/20 video, cause I need to watch it again before I can attempt the homework.

Johannes Instructor
07-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Just a question, will there be anymore Paintalongs and will the classes be shorter. I think a lot of your students enjoyed the Saturday classes.
Yes we will do more paint alongs

paintncook
07-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Jo,
Had to work day shift last Sat. Waiting, waiting, waiting for the video for the 7/20 class. Is there a chance it'll be available by Thur. so I can catch up before next Sat?
Your impatient student, Kathy

Jacdesusbielle
07-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Hi Jo,
Like Paintcock, I am waiting impatiently for last Sat streaming video for I can't attend any of the summer classes. Very frustrating, I can tell you !!! Have already seen twice the streaming of the first week and worked a bit with the sharpie. But not being at home makes it a bit difficult to have free time..... Great classes ! Thank you for all you do for us, we are learning a lot ! Jacqueline

sherrysherman
07-24-2013, 12:04 PM
I took them [the recordings of 7/13 and 7/20 classes on ustream] down Sherry in order to give you my video cam demo rather than the Ustream recording. The video cam recording is more pristine.

That may be, Joe, but it would be preferable to have even a lesser quality video rather than nothing. Please leave the ustream videos up until you give us the video cam demo. For those with limited schedules for viewing and/or painting, this is very important!

Amigomom123
07-25-2013, 02:01 AM
Unfortunately, I could not join the live class for the 2nd session and I am also waiting for the video! Loved the first one & would have liked to try to watch class 2 & catch up with homework etc. before class 3, but not sure if I'll have time now! Unless I've missed something & it's already posted??

paintncook
07-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Unfortunately, I could not join the live class for the 2nd session and I am also waiting for the video! Loved the first one & would have liked to try to watch class 2 & catch up with homework etc. before class 3, but not sure if I'll have time now! Unless I've missed something & it's already posted??
I think we're in a long line of people waiting. I hope Jo takes Sherry's suggestion and leaves the unpolished version up next time so we, who missed the class, can catch up. Like you, I now won't have the time unless it gets posted very early today. I don't need a 'pristine' recording, after all, it would be just like being in the live class to watch the original.

BetGee
07-25-2013, 09:24 AM
I agree with Sherry too. Please, Jo, leave the Livestream up so we can review to do our homework.

ToskaFromAlabama
07-25-2013, 09:34 AM
I agree with Sherry too. Please, Jo, leave the Livestream up so we can review to do our homework.

I also agree. Please leave livestream as is. I missed an hour and was able to immediately view it later that evening.

Sgourlayart
07-25-2013, 10:01 AM
I also agree. Please leave livestream as is. I missed an hour and was able to immediately view it later that evening.I missed most of the class and went looking for the videos Hard to do homework if no class instruction first. Agree with above comments. If we are always a week or two behind, then no advantage to signing up for live class; might as well wait a couple of months. If no one does homework, then no teaching from students' work. Need the raw videos. Stu

nougat
07-25-2013, 12:21 PM
i agree! leave the live cam version - at least till the polished one is ready!! i'm rarely able to watch till the end (nighttime and such) and would love to be able to ' continue' the next day.

chalet_dor
07-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Unable to be in live class. Need the video now (it does not have to be pristine) Leaving town and am very disappointed to not to be able to download it today. I am packing and do not have time to watch. Agree, we need the raw videos! Very unhappy......:crying:

mickisew
07-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Email received from Johannes - the July 20 videos are available for viewing.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
07-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Photo of July 27 demos

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2013/135220-Pastel_Joe1.jpg

Johannes Instructor
07-27-2013, 10:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2013/135220-Winter_July27.jpg

paintncook
07-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Jo,
Gorgeous paintings! I fell behind on the pastel painting - couldn't keep up with you! Not being familiar with that medium, I'm going to have to watch your demo again to watch every step so I can finish my painting. I had a great time. Thanks, you 'rock', Jo.
Kathy

Johannes Instructor
07-28-2013, 11:21 AM
More corrections

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2013/135220-Pastel_Joe1.jpg

Johannes Instructor
07-28-2013, 11:45 AM
More corrections

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2013/135220-Winter_July27.jpg

paintncook
07-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Jo, can you tell us what corrections you did? I am going back and forth from the before to the after and can't see the difference. I never saw anything that needed correcting, they all look 'perfect' to me.
Kathy

mickisew
07-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Johannes:

Thank you for posting your paintings. What a great class! You always give us 110%, and we appreciate it.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
07-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi Johannes:

Thank you for posting your paintings. What a great class! You always give us 110%, and we appreciate it.

Micki
Thanks unfortunately the video does not reflect the colors and values of the originals. But the knowledge involved is authentic.

chalet_dor
07-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Jo
Thanks for posting the paintings..........: ))

flowerartwater
07-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Please do the lovely portal painting with which you advertised this webinar. It is the reason I signed up. Thanks, Nancy Pink in Phoenix

Johannes Instructor
07-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Please do the lovely portal painting with which you advertised this webinar. It is the reason I signed up. Thanks, Nancy Pink in Phoenix
I did that in a paint along which was a previous course.

mickisew
08-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi Johannes:

Totally enjoyed this class and look forward to our next one. Thank you for your excellent instruction.

Micki

lakery
08-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi Jo:
I am a newbie and I just wanted to tell you your classes are the best I have ever seen. I never understood why my trees looked so bad. The Sharpie exercise, your explanations and your wonderful rules have changed all that.
Voila!!! I can paint trees. THANK YOU.
I can't wait until your next class. I hope it's soon. How often do you give your
webinar courses.
Thank you also for making these so affordable. I'm a senior on a very tight budget. It's obvious from your classes that you teach because you love bringing joy to others and you have certainly brightened my life and my joy in painting. (pastelist)
Lakery

Johannes Instructor
08-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Hi Jo:
I am a newbie and I just wanted to tell you your classes are the best I have ever seen. I never understood why my trees looked so bad. The Sharpie exercise, your explanations and your wonderful rules have changed all that.
Voila!!! I can paint trees. THANK YOU.
I can't wait until your next class. I hope it's soon. How often do you give your
webinar courses.
Thank you also for making these so affordable. I'm a senior on a very tight budget. It's obvious from your classes that you teach because you love bringing joy to others and you have certainly brightened my life and my joy in painting. (pastelist)
Lakery
We realize most of you are seniors so that's why we make these classes affordable. It helps that we have hundreds of participants to allow these lower costs. I will post the next course dates here in a day or so. Just keep checking back. Thanks for your nice comments.