PDA

View Full Version : Frantic Cop/Tourists

lobsterpot
07-02-2013, 05:22 AM
Another scene from the Marathon bombing. C^C invited.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/1144347-copwithtourist.jpg

lobsterpot
07-04-2013, 06:25 AM
I saw that pic too and decided not to use it since it was so bloody. You've added a lot of stuff but side by side with the original photo which one would be more moving?

nszczesniak
07-04-2013, 06:52 AM
I'm never sure what is legitimately moving. I'm more interested in the man with the New Balance shoes.

A supernova seems infinitely more significant than a terrorist bombing, but the bombing will always be more immediate to us. In the moment, the man wearing the New Balance shoes was looking out into the most destructive thing he'd probably ever seen (I'm assuming). There are similarly destructive human events, like when an American drone bombs a wedding party in Afghanistan and kills a few kids, but they always have a moral value. I wanted the man in the New Balance shoes to look out onto something that was unimaginably destructive, but unintentional and therefore amoral and politically neutral.

I like your piece. How did you get that effect in Photoshop? It looks like it's made of sugar icing or something. Things going well?

lobsterpot
07-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately I don't keep a record of PS manipulations so I can't help you there.

The top piece--the "tourists"--are included as examples of what I can explain best as a Brechtian demonstration of his "dialectical theater".