PDA

View Full Version : Fabriano, Lanqurelle, Arches

LunarMoth
07-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Fabriano, Lanquarelle, Arches

Hi everyone, so I've been thinking about buying a block of 7x10 paper cause I want to work on a smaller scale which I feel more comfortable with. All three of the above paper mills makes a block of 140 lb cp paper in this size. My problem is that while I've used Arches and I love it, I haven't used the other two and I was wondering what your opinions are of these two papers? Are they anywhere near as good as Arches? Or should I just go on and pay a little extra and buy the Arches block?

diamondsutra
07-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Fabriano Artistico 100% cotton CP handles a bit like Arches but I feel like the "pores" are a bit bigger in it. Hey, try em all! You'll use up your blocks and decide which is best for you :)

LunarMoth
07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
I made an error, Fabriano doesn't come in 7x10 but it does come in a 5x7 size I was considering.
Thanks Josh for the advice, I would love to try them all, but I can only afford one at the moment. Thanks though.
I have used Kilimanjaro though, I like it but they don't make it in 7x10:confused: why I don't know?

diamondsutra
07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Go for the Fabriano Artistico - you won't be disappointed. Here in Turkey Arches is 20 lira a sheet, Fabriano Aristico is 10 - half the price. It handles paint really nicely - go for it!!

LunarMoth
07-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks Josh, I just might buy that 5x7 block of Fabriano to try, since it's such an old paper and not as pricey as some of the other brands. How does Fabriano handle corrections and scrubbing, can it take a lot of abuse before wearing through the paper?
Kilimanjaro handles scrubbing and corrections pretty good, while I almost once went through a sheet of Arches before I noticed it! But don't get me wrong, I still like this brand of paper.
I will probaly just chalk up something else and buy a 7x10 in another brand since Fabriano doesn't make that size.
Um, does anyone know anything about the Acquerello Italia blocks of paper for sale at Blick? They make a 7x10 in cp 140lb.

painterbear
07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Brigette,
Fabriano ARTISTICO (100% cotton) is a lovely paper, but it is a bit softer than Arches so doesn't like to be scrubbed too much. That doesn't mean you can't make corrections, you just have to be gentle about it.

Why do you want a block of paper? A full sheet costs less and you can fold and tear it into a variety of sizes. You just need a board (plexiglas will do) and a roll of masking tape to tape them on with and you are set to go. You can do several paintings at once, not one at a time as with a block. :confused:

Have you checked the Watercolor Handbook section on Paper? Look at these threads and all the info you'll find in them:

*Paper Tests*

Paper Tests—Different Kinds and Weights: by artinwc
• 140lb and 200 lb Cold Pressed
• 300 lb Cold Pressed
• Rough Surfaced 1 and 2
• Hot Pressed and Soft Pressed

Cold Press vs Rough Paper

Hot Press Paper Questions

Hot Press Paper Techniques by Susan Tustain

Testing 9 Different Kinds of Paper by Ellen in Ont

Paper Experiments Summary by Janine (janinep7)

Paper Experiments Round 1 Summary by Janine (janinep7)

Watercolor Paper Preferences Poll

Link in my signature line or at the top of the Learning Zone.

Sylvia

LunarMoth
07-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi Sylvia, thanks for the sugestions and all the helpful advice. I have before done that with a sheet of Arches paper, I cut it down to the portrait sizes I needed. But I still like blocks, the reason I like them so much is because it's less hassel for me to tote around, you know in the car or out and about. But the main reason I am hooked on a block is because I can just sit in my reclining chair and prop it up against my knees and just paint in my lap; I know a lot of people say that that is the worst way one can paint, but I like to paint that way - relaxed and comfortable.
Fabriano doesn't sound like the paper I am looking for then, if I have to be gentle with it. I'm still learning and I need a paper that can take abuse and afford for me to make a mistake.
Thanks again, Sylvia

LunarMoth
07-01-2013, 06:29 PM
I checked out those links, Sylvia and I loved them, they really helped me a lot. I definately don't think I will be going with Lanaquarelle or Saunders Waterford anytime soon. By the sound of it they just wouldn't work out for me. Thanks again!

FLNH
07-01-2013, 07:06 PM
I have used all three and like them. If your primary criterion is "toughness" then IMO Arches is the winner.

painterbear
07-01-2013, 09:05 PM
:D Brigette!

Our Watercolor Handbook has soooooooooo much useful information in it, that is why I like to point people in its direction whenever they have a question pertaining to watercolors and materials, etc. ;)

Sylvia

janinco
07-02-2013, 08:19 AM
I really like Fabriano and am able to make corrections with no problem. I use a sea sponge or q-tip. I don't soak my paper first so the sizing helps the color lift easier. Arches does take a little more abuse but I like the feel of the Fabriano better.

My favorite way to buy the Fabriano Artistico is in a pack of ten 11" x 14". You could cut or tear that in half and you'd have 7" x 11". The only place I've seen the package is Jerry's:
11x14 140 lb ten-pack (http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/paper/watercolor-paper-and-boards/fabriano-artistico-sheets-rolls-and-blocks/fabriano-artistico-watercolor-small-sheet-packs.htm)

They also have a four-pack of 300 lb for the same price. It's cheaper to buy a large sheet and divide it up, but right now I"m mostly working on this size and it's convenient to have it ready to go.

Jan

Superturtle
07-02-2013, 11:22 AM
I've only used Fabriano and Arches blocks. I like Fabriano paper, but don't care for their blocks, as I've had the binding come undone on them. I've never had this happen with Arches. I would say that the biggest difference between the two are that the Arches surface feels "hard" while the Fabriano surface feels "soft". Arches will stand up to more wear-and-tear, but the softer feel of Fabriano is pleasant to paint with. Fabriano's extra white paper is also super white and comes in block form, which really makes for lovely, brilliant colors. I say if you can, buy both!