PDA

View Full Version : Red WIP..

alangraham
07-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I painted over an old painting sized 30x48 (I think).

After getting an initial layer--heavily applied-- of purples and magenta's, I've started going over it with a crimson red.

In real life the color is just so rich and astounding and only getting better with each layer. My question is what do you think about me adding a black line (see photoshop image)?

alangraham
07-01-2013, 11:56 AM
One more pic...

Jody Schmidt
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Nice! Mystical. Glimpse into your studio space also very cool. I will call this Chameleon Man With Hunchback Twin and Frightened Crone Via 360 Degree Rotational Symmetry. What were you planning to add to this? It has good tone and value, composition and abstract suggestion, as is. Hmmm...maybe no touch-ah this one for a while, then look back and see if you still want to add. :) Kidding, your piece, no meddling from others. Peace.

alangraham
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks Paul. The last few photos were done in photoshop with the black line. It was something of a 'draft' to aim for. Once I get the red looking the way I want, I plan to add the black line. However, the more I add the red the more I'm liking it as is. Suppose I was just questioning whether or not adding the black line as I had intended would work or not.

Thanks for the comment!

ShaunGa
07-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I would want to get lost in something like this.

Shaun

birdhs
07-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Cory>> one of the goals I have is to not be influenced by the opinions of others, just go with what I feel is 'right' for me at the time.

To comment on whether stripe <yes or no> would be contrary to that goal.

follow your instincts

and I luuuuv red paintings

greggo

Katie Black
07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Red is such a powerful colour that you could easily leave it as it is...I actually like the horizontal line in this piece as well.

Jon
07-01-2013, 08:08 PM
You need do what you feel is correct for you, but since you ask, I rather like the one with the horizontal line.

mynameiszero
07-01-2013, 09:07 PM
The line gives it a nice focal point - I like it.

abstractca
07-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Horizontal would look perfect....beautiful vivid red

alangraham
07-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Shaun-- Thanks. Yes, it's rather engaging. I really wish I could show you guys in person :).

Greggo-- Thanks, however, I'm really torn between the two! That said, I'm about 60% sure I want to add the stripe so if that's my instinct, I'll follow it :).

Katie-- Thanks. Plus if I do add the line, folks can switch the painting around to view how they please-- horizontal or vertical.

Jon-- Thanks. OK, I'm now about 65% sure I'll add the line :).

Mynameiszero-- Thanks! Agree the line is a focal point. Thanks for commenting and welcome to the forum!

Abstractca-- Thanks. Glad you like the red. Yes, I'm feeling pretty good about the line now.

alangraham
07-02-2013, 09:36 AM
I was rather torn between adding the line as I began the process, and even though the red is beautiful and becoming more so with each coat/layer/glaze, the piece is calling that their needs to be more.

Unless something changes, I'll hopefully add the line today or tomorrow. Right now I need to do about 5 more coats or so.

Vasili
07-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Vertical black line works better than the horizontal one for me.

Definitely put the line in...

Ol' Don
07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
I think something like the line is needed. But perhaps the line could be more subtle than you example.

Just thinking out loud. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.