PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michaelangelo-July 2013

trafford
07-01-2013, 11:21 AM
HAPPY JULY!

Here is my summer herb garden by my front door. Not much, but the herbs will make the food taste good.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2013/42757-herbs_on_porch.jpg

Has everybody had a nice spring or fall, as the case may be? We actually had a few New England spring days, before the heat set in.

Brian did a nice self portrait in the June cafe. Take a look. If you want to put one up here of yourself please do. Any style, cartoon or classic or whatever you like.

We are going to have a few new threads in a couple of days, and we are extending Robin's depth thread. Hard to do art in the summer, but maybe we can all manage a few sketches.

Happy days! :heart:

brianvds
07-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Thus far we have had pretty much standard winter weather here: frosty mornings and mellow, rainless days. This month we'll probably have a crisp cold front or two.

Nice herb garden. At the school where I work I have a vegetable garden. Most city kids have no idea where food comes from, so it's educational. At the end of the summer, we harvested quite a good load of popcorn, to their great excitement. :-)

brianvds
07-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Right, here's my latest self-portrait, more conventional in style than the previous attempt, and more accurate. As always, the unfriendly expression is just an artifact of staring intently into a mirror.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/142294-2013_self-portrait.JPG

azulparsnip
07-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Brian - wonderful work. the shading strokes variations and the little lines on the collar are delightful. I thought you just look like that to get the kids to behave!

Janet - lovely collection of herbs - all the different containers is fun!

It is rain, rain, rain, here - temperatures in the low 70's. Too wet to weed the garden so I'll do some art and sewing! Yeah!!

brianvds
07-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Brian - wonderful work. the shading strokes variations and the little lines on the collar are delightful. I thought you just look like that to get the kids to behave!

My eyes are a bit light sensitive (or perhaps it is just South Africa's bright sunshine in general) which is why I have developed a permanent frown. The result is that I do look a bit menacing, and the new kids spend at least a week or so scared of me, before they realize I'm just a big teddy bear, and then start exploiting it mercilessly. :-)

artbyjune
07-02-2013, 12:29 PM
A wonderful self portrait, Brian.

I like the herbs in pots Janet.

I got my medium and some water soluble oils but haven't started using them yet.

I finally got the 4 texture ATCs finished and sent off to USA...so my work bench is clear.

I think will try and do some more in my fantasy figures with animals series. But I sense a 'slowing down'...maybe because its 'summer'. But of course its grey here as usual!!!

trafford
07-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Yes Brian you do look a little scary...maybe you are mad at a landscape that won't translate to your canvas. Then suddenly it does and you're all smiles.(here I am making up stories again) Anyway it's a very nice portrait, loser than the first one.

Let us know June how you like the water oils. I found when I washed the brushes in soapy water my hands felt like sticky oil...even though †he brushes came out clean.

trafford
07-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Sorry, I meant looser, not loser Brian.

trafford
07-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Here is an old self portrait that I may have posted before. My sweet cat, Zero, died some years ago.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2013/42757-JANETANDZERO12.JPG

azulparsnip
07-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Lovely self portrait Janet...the colors of the robe on the one shoulder and the cat on the other side are you in your element. Lovely

June - it's always nice when you finish something, isn't it.

I will try and do a selfportrait soon.

Here an egg tempera of from our beach trip last week. I put on the ipod headphones and had a glass of wine and had the best time!

I love egg tempera - thanks soooo much for introducing us, June!

Brian, - stay warm, and enjoy the season.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2013/88676-topsail.gif

azulparsnip
07-10-2013, 12:26 PM
I got a cool Zentangle book and am having fun with that. Plus my pregnant daughter's tummy henna impressed the Dr. favorable! It feels so good when your art is appreciated.

artbyjune
07-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Janet that is a lovely self portrait. Beautiful skin tones.

Snap!! Robin. I just got into zentangles too. I am doing some zentangle cats for a swap. Not sure if I am doing them 'right' but I haven't a book just looked at a few youtube videos.

artbyjune
07-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Forgot to say:- all ATCs.

We are having summer sun at last. Now I am complaining because its too hot!! Never satisfied.

I went to see about a new laptop...my usual computer store had gone. So now I will have to make a trip to the big pc store or order online. When I get around to it.

Hope everyone is well.

tyree
07-31-2013, 06:33 AM
please tell me what zentangles are...im really digging those kitkats, especially that last one......wonderful portraits...and a fun time at the beach with a glass of sandy wine:D ......im working on horses, something ive been wanting to study.......august is right on us...hot and buggy and rainy here in the subtropics....looking forward to my trip in October to Equador with my big brother!!!!! tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
08-01-2013, 02:04 AM
Hi Tyree - on the beach with a glass of wine sounds lovely.
And going to Equador with your Bro sounds reeeeaallly great!.

Here is a link to a great Zentangle webpage

http://tanglepatterns.com/welcome-tanglepatterns-fan

It is all the rage it seems. I've been copying patterns mostly. In a bit I'll unleash the beast and go improv......that is the real fun.

June, your tangled cats is fun. Gives them a stuffed animal look.

We watched the movie Seraphine last night. Kinda sad. She was a wonderful artist though. Google Seraphine de Senlis

Senlishttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/88676-th.jpeg

well July is officially over here.

on to August

artbyjune
08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Robin, I saw part of the movie on Seraphine a while ago. I enjoyed it for as much as I saw. I missed the end part.

I think my take on zen kitties makes them look a bit like patchwork toys.

Maybe we could do a zentangle project this month, i.e. August?? Any interest?

trafford
08-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Took a quick peek at Zentangle...Might make a good project. Will read more on it later today.

Art, beach and wine. Sounds good to me. What do you carry with you Robin to do art, and in tempera?

I love your cats June and the textured papers. You have their spirit.

Hi Tyree, keep cool. I have to use the A/C but I hate it.

Sand and Sun and Brian on the other side of the coin. You'll get your shot Brian when we are all shivering and plodding through the snow, except for Tyree who may get some dreary rainy days (I lived in Florida for a couple of years) Well, the art goes on whatever the climate. :cool: