PDA

View Full Version : Pastel mix with other mediums? Help please?

SunFace
06-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I was wondering if there is any medium that can be use over pastels.

I have seen acrylics, drawings and even oils that have pastels on top, but never the other way around.

Anyone has any ideas, knowledge, or insight on this?

Thanks.

Avena Cash
06-30-2013, 10:45 PM
A dusty medium could keep a paint from sticking well. However, pastels can be wetted. I often blend them with a solvent under oil paint. You can use them sketchily as a drawing medium and then paint with a waterbased paint such as watercolor as well, but I would not try to wash pastels with a solvent or water if they were painted on thickly already.

Usually when pastels are used under oils you would not end up seeing them "as themselves"--like a preliminary drawing they would be painted over and only an occasional drawing mark would be seen.

I think usually pastels are on top because due to their delicacy they easily lose their characteristics if you do anything on top, but if it works for you then you could. I think it would just depend on how thick the pastels are and how much you want them showing.

SunFace
07-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Thank you so much! I have never wet my pastels .... I have to try that one day!

Ruthie57
07-01-2013, 04:17 AM
I can't answer your question as I have no experience with using pastel underneath other media. I just want to say that you mustn't wet your pastel sticks! They will never be the same if you do. You can lay down pastel and then wet it with a brush/sprayer etc. You can use water or certain alcohol based products. Keep the liquid away from the pastel sticks themselves though!

jackiesimmonds
07-01-2013, 04:17 AM
The beauty of pastels is that their particles pick up and reflect light,( when they are not blended to death, that is) That is why Degas painted very thickly with them...his paintings are wondrous, full of texture which reflects light.

If you put anything over the top of your pastels, you will ruin this beautiful effect...or perhaps not ruin, but certainly PREVENT it from happening.

I am not sure why you would want to paint anything over your pastels.

Tressa
07-01-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm curious to know why you would want to?
I've used alcohol to "wet" pastel for underpainting only, but dry pigment light fracture is the appeal ....add medium and it becomes just "paint". :confused:

aolaranora
07-03-2013, 12:20 AM
If You interested to learn about multi-media using of pastels, get a book of Bill Creevy. Pretty interesting reading material. He will mix just about anything with everything, but just like Jackie mentioned above - effect will be different.

SunFace
07-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Thanks! I will check it out!

DAK723
07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Pastels work well on top because if you put dry pastel over any wet medium (that has dried), it still retains the look and vibrancy of pastel. However, if you put a wet medium over dry (pastel), then you change and cover the pastel. Since you usually want a solid, unbreakable, unmovable foundation for a painting, pastels would not be my choice, since they are not solid or unmovable. That, in my opinion, anyway, is why you normally don't put other mediums over pastel, but pastel works well over other mediums.

Don

SunFace
07-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Thanks. I was looking at my piece from far away and it looks better!

I will try at some point pastels over dry oils. Sounds really interesting to me.!!!

opainter
07-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Application of paint as a glaze over pastel might produce a really interesting effect.