PDA

View Full Version : I have a Fear!

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Please help anyone?

I've just moved into a new house (most know this) and I will have a studio (once the boxes have vanished) for the first time in 5 years.
My problem is that I have no ideas floating around and I don't know if I will be able to use my oils. Oil paints are my passion but seeing as I haven't used them in 5 years I fear that I may have forgotten how.
Maybe I should have posted this closer when to the studio is operational but I've been thinking of it all the time.

I hope I make sense here.

SanDL
09-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Teanne, it's like riding a bicycle.
Seems to me that feeling afraid is the proper emotion but I think you could reframe it a bit and call it a "concern" instead.

My remedy: open the tubes and make an ugly picture first.
I always say you gotta paint the s*** out first to clear the way for the good stuff.

Life is tooooooooo short to be afraid of painting. Get messy, baby.

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Gettin' messy sounds good to me :) Tnx SanDL. Hey, long time no see. I hope things are great with you.

SanDL
09-13-2003, 08:33 PM
They are. Just busy.

I can in some way relate to this fear of yours.

I have been asked to illustrate a children's book. When I impulsively accepted I had NO IDEA how difficult that would turn out to be for me. After weeks of noodling around I have come up with a "style" that is agreeable to the writer. But it is not easy and I face every new drawing with great trepidation and feelings of frustration because I feel like I'm in a foreign country. The anxiety is a burden.

I'm using Prismacolor pencils....any tips on erasing unwanted stuff?

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by SanDL

I'm using Prismacolor pencils....any tips on erasing unwanted stuff? WOW, congratulations :clap:

You could try 'sticky tape' I think you call it cello tape or durex tape. Or their might be more advice in the Sticky at the top of the CP forum. :) There is a mountain of advice in there. Good lucky SanDL :)

blkros
09-13-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm with Sandl
You just have to get the stuff out and paint.
The first couple may stink (or they may be great). You can always paint over them.

Go get 'em girl! :D

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by blkros
I'm with Sandl
You just have to get the stuff out and paint.
The first couple may stink (or they may be great). You can always paint over them.

Go get 'em girl! :D

Thanks Keith. :) Gee, I havn't seen you in ages either. How be U?

blkros
09-13-2003, 09:12 PM
I'm terribly fine. :D How 'bout you? I see you've moved alright.

Keith Russell
09-13-2003, 09:29 PM
TeAnne, congrats on the move, and the new house, but most of all the studio!

The best thing for me, when I'm 'stuck', is to look at other artists' work. Visit a gallery or four, a museum (be sure to stop by the museum bookstore), a poster gallery at the mall, other artists' studios, etc.

As far as using the oils goes, you learned how to use them once, you can learn how to use them again.

And, the second time ought to be far, far easier.

Again, congrats!

K

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by blkros
I'm terribly fine. :D How 'bout you? I see you've moved alright.

:) It's wonderful, peaceful at night. Still a lot of building going on in the area. Earth movers and Pounders but I feel very content here.

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Keith Russell
TeAnne, congrats on the move, and the new house, but most of all the studio!

The best thing for me, when I'm 'stuck', is to look at other artists' work. Visit a gallery or four, a museum (be sure to stop by the museum bookstore), a poster gallery at the mall, other artists' studios, etc.

As far as using the oils goes, you learned how to use them once, you can learn how to use them again.

And, the second time ought to be far, far easier.

Again, congrats!

K

Thank you Keith on the congrats. (See comment to Keith) :D lolol
I will go to the city when the weather warms up. (Catch bus) and I have many art books and WC :D always looking in WC and drooling. Thanks again. :)

CarlyHardy
09-13-2003, 10:59 PM
I know you've been doing a lot of abstract watercolor....so why not collage your rice papers over your canvas....and paint in thin layers with the oils creating some abstract pieces! I did a couple of these...was a lot of fun!
carly

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
I know you've been doing a lot of abstract watercolor....so why not collage your rice papers over your canvas....and paint in thin layers with the oils creating some abstract pieces! I did a couple of these...was a lot of fun!
carly

Sounds like fun but I thinks you might have me mixed up with someone else Carly :D:confused:

DanaT
09-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Hiya Teanne!

Congrats on the move! Transitions are so, uh well, anxiety provoking, even if they're good.

I would agree with everything everybody else said. But why don't you make the first piece fun? For me that's always starting with a rag, some paint, lots of turps, and a canvas board. Its like finger painting only artistic-er. :cat:

Or whatever works for you to say, "Hey, I'm having fun!" rather than "Hey, I suck at this."

belladonna
09-14-2003, 01:33 PM
TeAnne, you'll probably just pick up where you left off. Remember that painting is challenging and fun and good for you and that you are master of that paint and those brushes. They are yours, so do whatever you like with them. No pressure.
I know what you mean about boxes.... I too am just moving in and there is still more stuff coming! I have no idea of where I will put it all. Something has to go, (but not the studio stuff)!
:evil:

TeAnne
09-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks Dana & Bella

The key word is fun not fear. :) I think I will be okay with it now. Thanks everyone. :)

Good luck Bella. I'm with you, studio stuff stays. :clap:

TeAnne
09-23-2003, 07:50 AM
I just want to share this with my friends who don't go to the cafe.

Finally I feel I belong
Today, I found an Art Group who meet of a Tuesday just 5 Mins walk from my home. I went and checked them out just now and WOW, they are so friendly. I joined them
I will start next Tue. The 7.30pm session. Then the week after it will be the 3pm session and so on. All this will cost $3 each session. Also workshops and outings. They also have a photography group that meets once a month too. I'll join that also..................... I can't believe how wonderful this is. They are also going to build studios that will be open everyday for artists to use too.
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWeeeeeeeeeee