PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Sunday 30th June 2013 ***

Yorky
06-30-2013, 02:53 AM
Good morning all :clear:

Coast is clear :)

Well, it's a fine morning here, a typical English summer, so changeable.

Tour de France started with a bang yesterday. We lovevto watch it and I try to follow it on Street View. Anyhow despite the debacle at the finish everyone ended up with the same time.

Doug

doppler
06-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Golly Doug, and there I was grooming my ears.:lol:

Busy day here. We actually did housework TOGETHER . :eek: It was fun :thumbsup: Once Mr Dyson started Roger raced around the outside of the house to see Bo trying to break glass and Loki egging him on in a sly fashion. Our previous adored cat Doppler knew about sliding doors and how to work them. AND cupboards.

It was raining outside but Roger thought the sprint in the showers was worth it to see feline science in practice :lol:

Apart from the housework, so so exciting, nuffink.It was a truly moist and cold and miserable day here. Now darkening before time.

Bo is now where he should be and expected to be before the advent of Dyson. Three feet long and red hot in front of the fire. Loki is on step Seven directly above the fire. Smaller but hot.

Roast chook on tonight. remnant will go to the cauliflower cheesy thing
tomorrow. Our cauliflowers, though shaded, need to be scoffed soon.

Time go. Roger is cooking, not him but dinner. Cats are recreating the moment with mudder, not terror, in their eyes. They want dinner.

BBl

laudesan
06-30-2013, 04:03 AM
Cool here.....

Wild Alaskan Salmon for dinner for me tonight..

:wave:

Lulu
06-30-2013, 05:03 AM
Evening everyone:wave:

Nice enough day here but have been inside mostly, getting things ready to go away.

I see Brisbane is only going to be 17C tomorrow, hope Kev and Chris have taken layers! They'll need to add another layer or two for Auckland on Tuesday, then shed them for the next journey! Exciting!:clap:

Fish for dinner here too JJ, but snapper. Our neighbour brought some up, he'd just come back from fishing. Was beautiful too.

ScarletLake
06-30-2013, 05:40 AM
:wave: Good Morning/Evening:wave:

It is 5:30AM here in OHIO. Yesterday was a nice day but we did get quite a bit of rain in the late afternoon thru evening. I believe our forecast for the week shows rainstorms thru Wed but our July 4th fireworks should be a good night.

Not much on the agenda this week but more inside house work.

Lulu - What a great trip ahead. Enjoy.

Geoff - hope you are Rv'ing.

Doug - Ruth's sweater was awesome. I can't believe how fast she knits.

Pat - That portrait you did was wonderful. I'm sure it got an emotional homecoming.

Darla - I'll throw in my 2 cents on the knee situation ---GET IT DONE NOW - one thing that people don't consider is that their health situation could change and they may not be able to have an operation if it is put off. I saw this a lot when nursing. So while you still can go ahead and save yourself a lot of grief later on.

I hope you are not suffering to bad at present. Also been meaning to ask you how your son that graduated from SAE is doing?? Does he like his new job in the music industry??? We're still trying to convince Josh to do something for education.

Well think I will go back to bed and get a few more winks before breakfast.

Anita

Yorky
06-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Lulu - 17C is a nice warm summer day :)

Just been invited out to lunch with friends, BBL.

Doug

Lulu
06-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Hi Anita:wave:

Pat, meant to say that I too loved your portrait!

Really Doug??? Well, it's going to be 15C here tomorrow, so I'll try to think nearly summer........lol

Ellen in Ont
06-30-2013, 07:36 AM
:wave: everyone,
I've been up since 4:00 so I'll need a nap later. :rolleyes: It will be another perfect summer day... Sunny and a high of about 23 I think (forecast as of last night). The nice thing about summers up here is that no matter how hot it is during the day it almost always cools off during the night so leaving windows open overnight will give you a nice cool house to start the day. However, we only left one window open slightly last night because right now it is only about 6 out there.

I actually started working on my painting again yesterday but it almost went in the bin. I was shocked when I tried to take off the masking fluid. It had changed form from something you could rub or lift off to a semi fluid gummy mess! :eek: I was able to get it off after more than four hours of working on it but what a time! Then I looked back and realized that I had put it on in January. :eek: Where did the time go? It just seemed like a couple of months. From now on, if I have to use it, if there is a delay taking it off I will remove it and reapply it when needed. Lesson learned.;)

I have been watching the Swallow birdhouse in our yard thinking the poor birds were not going to have any babies this year. The spring was so cold, and some years like that the eggs don't survive. Yesterday the parents were swooping around the yard excitedly so I went out to look and I saw them flying into the birdhouse and heard the peeping of babies. :D However, they are about a month behind. This is usually the weekend when the babies fledge. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any other baby birds around. Either they didn't make it or everyone is late. Not even baby Robins have been hopping around the yard as usual.

Lulu - I agree with Doug about the temps. Sounds great to me. If I ever visit your way I'll have to go in the winter.:D

Good morning Doug, Annie, JJ, Anita and all who follow. I need a bite to eat and then decide where to start on my list of things to do.

CharM
06-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Good morning! It's 19C and cloudy here in SW Ontario... We'll like warm into the 20's, but it isn't going to get much hotter than that. Too bad, because some of our Canada Day celebrations are happening today.

Our visit with Ted's Sister was just lovely... we met our new Grand Niece who slept on my lap during most of our visit. We ordered dinner in so that Cathy wouldn't have to cook and it was pretty good too... we took that out to the patio and enjoyed it in the clean, fresh air. I gave her a jar of my jam and she gave me cuttings from her giant prickly pear cactus.

Since it rained most of yesterday, I'll have to bail the pedal boat today before taking it out. :( I want to get it ready for the "Regatta" on the lake, though. All the little sailboats, sail boards and pedal boats get dressed up to celebrate the Day... then the sail boats race around the lake. It's fun.

There'll be fireworks tonight if it doesn't rain again. Magoo and his girl are coming out for a barbeque supper... chickens on the rotisserie, cold salads and a plum tart.

Kev's flight should be just about ready to land...

Darla, you need to do what's necessary to relieve your knee pain. Surgery isn't always the best solution, but a last resort. If you're at that place now, then get it done. ((()))

Pat, I can't remember if I told you that your portrait finished beautifully!

Judy, sometimes if you hit the back arrow you can recover your typed text. But if you typed in the quick reply box, it'll be gone forever.

Hiya Doug... wow, another sweater... Ruth is amazing.

Annie, do you freeze up some of your garden harvest? Cauliflower is one of my favourite vegetables... it seems to retain it's flavour and texture. Of course, we can't grow things year round, but you may not even have to consider it.

Hi Lulu... it's exciting! Saw your photos on FB... :) Layers at 17C???? Not.

JJ, I think that Alaskan salmon is the ONLY wild salmon we can get now... even the Atlantic and Pacific salmons are now virtually farmed fish...

Hi Anita... hope you managed a little more sleep!

Ellen, I'm glad you were able to remove the foul stuff... Did it leave a residue? :crossfingers: that it didn't... What paper are you using? And what masking fluid? I need to buy a new bottle of Pebeo drawing gum. I heard the first purple martin just a couple days ago... the scouts are more than a month late. And we seem to have NO humming birds.

Ted wants to know how Brian is repairing the trailer floor... we had a similar problem and now he's curious about your approach on how to fix it.

So... Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian Friends, even though it's tomorrow. Our transfer station put out a sign that said it would be closed on Dominion Day! Wow, eh? Been a long time since I've seen that. Anyway, I hope that everyone has the best possible day... Be creative, healthy and happy... :heart:

Uschi
06-30-2013, 09:02 AM
First of all, DOUG, I am having a terrible time posting.

I go to the WC website and it remembers me and I am logged in. I carry on to Watercolors - still good, I carry on to Palette Talk - still good.

Then I click on The Wash, it opens nicely but suddenly I am no longer logged in.

I log on, the message comes up "Thank you for logging in Uschi", the Wash is gone and it takes me to a new sign in page. I log on, same message - over and over. It will NOT log me in.

Still not logged in I try different things like "posting", sign in sheet comes up again, Thanks for logging in Uschi comes up again and then promptly takes me right back.

Still not logged in I try the "Quote" and once in a while, miraculously I am suddenly "signed in" and can post.

Right now I was "quoting" Ellen and then erased her message.

I am getting tired of this messing around so I can post, is there anything that can be done. I wonder how many other people are hving this problem and can read but never post and don't mess around as much as I do.

It is a beautifully sunny day, and a high of 23C expected.

I am going for a BBQ lunch at Jodi's in Kitchener and when I come home I MUST cut the grass.

On Tuesday morning I am heading to DIL's parents' cottage with the whole family. Will be there until the weekend.

Judy, would LOVE to take a dip in your wonderfully warm pool.

:wave: to all here and all yet to come and :grouphug: and best wishes to all our friends who are not well.

Uschi

LynnM
06-30-2013, 09:05 AM
:wave: Sun is in and out here, but it is warm (18C!) and I am looking forward to my trip down to the harbour today, blast off time in about 15 min. It will be cooler down there, so have to take layers, my handy backpack will serve. There is a summer shuttle bus from downtown, and a trolley that runs all along the waterfront, I will be able to get around even if I can't walk too far. This is an adventure for me!

Ellen, that's a shame about the masking, I have had the same experience, just leaving it too long. I hope the paper is not too affected. Interesting about the birds, I have been hearing little voices for the last two days, but can't see the nest, they are very insistent!

Hope you got some more sleep, Anita!

Hi Lulu, JJ, Doug, Annie (:lol: you do tell a good story! ) and all to come, have a rewarding day!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

edit: I'm slow posting again! Hi Char and Uschi, I'll read when I get home.

Scene Chaser
06-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Good Day All,

Uschi, I don't have the posting problem you have. Maybe it's your computer.

The fish poi the other night was great. Next time I'll cook the potatoes a litter more, though. I use cheddar for a topping. We'll definitely have it again.

My garden vandal is back. I've set up a trail camera in the corner of the garden in a blackberry patch in the hopes of snapping a photo that will give him to me. Hope he doesn't find it and steal it. The camera works on motion detection up to sixty feet.

Have a great Sunday.
Bill

Yorky
06-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Back from a lovely lunch. It is a lovely day with sunshine and clouds,

Uschi try clearing your cookies (temporary internet files) sounds as if the site is not reliably finding your cookie.

Doug

Uschi
06-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Seems to have worked Doug which is funny because I think the whole thing started some time ago when I cleared my cookies. Thank you!!

O.K. Last night's dishes are done, all is clean again and I am off right now to Kitchener.

Uschi

villagernb
06-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Happy Pre-Canada Day!

Skies are trying to clear up here, but windy, humid and lots of grey clouds moving past; it frequently looks like it could rain, but there is none in the forecast until tonight. I'll try for a walk, but I'll have to carry my "rain repellant" (rain jacket).:rolleyes:

Doug, the organizers are constantly trying to make the Tour de France more exciting for viewers, but I don't think yesterday's events were what they had in mind!

Annie, we had a dear-departed Siamese cat who could open the refrigerator door. She also liked to sit on top of the refrigerator; she could jump from the floor to the top in a single graceful bound, much to the delight of our son, who was a preschooler at the time. Nice memories!:heart:

Lulu, I judge temperatures by whether or not my Mum would have worn a cardigan. 15 to 20--definitely cardigan temps. 20 to 25, maybe, depending on whether or not there was a breeze blowing. 25+ cardigan off!:lol:

Char, we have several hummingbirds this year, but they won't all sit together long enough for me to count them. I cleaned and refilled my three feeders this morning. The heavy rain and humidity of the past few days diluted the food and made the feeding ports dirty.:p

Uschi, enjoy your cottage holiday! My family never owned a cottage, but many of our friends have. I have several great cottage stories! Another time!:evil:

Bill, does your garden vandal have two legs, or four?

Guess I'll put on sunblock and hit the road in half an hour. Merry Sunday afternoon, everyone!:wave:

shipbroker
06-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Afternoon all.....

No I am not lost in Wensleydale....Kindle low on power so couldn't post from caravan....

Nice day here albeit windy....

geoff

Roun2it
06-30-2013, 12:07 PM
It's defo two cardigan weather here in Oz. we landed and it was pouring down then it was really chilly leaving the airport.

Just done the hugs and kisses thing, had a cup of tea and now off to bed ..... Chris is already fast asleep.

Will talk more tomorrow ....:thumbsup: :wave:

olliewood0702
06-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Greetings all,

It's partly sunny here and breezy, mild though at 70F. Larry likes this weather; he says it's perfect.

It sounds like Kev made it safe and sound and must be snoring by now.:clap:

Anita, when Justin was done with school he got a job working for a studio; not a well known one. He worked there several months and thought that strange things were happening within the studio. The owner was shady and come to find out was operating a drug ring!:eek: He quit so fast and wanted no part of it. He was unable to find another job; how hard he looked I don't know. :rolleyes: He's not even using his education; just writing music on the side for pleasure and is working at a liquor distributor; loading trucks on afternoon shift. It pays well and has benefits. Believe it or not he is about to start an apprenticeship for a tattoo artist. NOT at Josh's shop. His brother says he has to prove himself before he'll hire him. Justin is the baby and took quite a while to "grow up." He seems to be on the right track now though.:crossfingers:

We have Klaira today, Jen is working and I guess Matt has stuff to get ready for their camping trip next week. Kelsea is here to help out but it's funny when we were that age we had THREE little kids and NEVER had anyone look after them when we had things to do.:rolleyes: :confused: Sometimes I wonder about this generation. Nuff said.

Nothing much planned for today, a bit of weeding and perhaps grill a burger for dinner later. I only work three days this next week for our Independence Day Celebration. Larry has to work Friday and maybe the weekend; the company never tells them in advance...heaven knows they might want to make plans.:rolleyes: He won't know until Wednesday. Anyway it'll be quiet with the rest of the family up north camping.:thumbsup:

About my knee surgery. I think the reason I'm a bit nervous about surgery is that I'm one of those people who has a hard time coming out of anesthetic; they have a hard time waking me up and I ALWAYS wake up throwing up. It makes me so sick; so that part I HATE. But I do know that the best thing is to have it repaired. I'm just worried too that it could happen again; but one never knows about things like that.

I am thinking about ((LESLEY & HENRY)) and any others in need.:heart:

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

I might BBL if I have time.

Strawberry Wine
06-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Good Afternoon Washers !

Coolish and slightly overcast today but makes working in the garden easier. We have a little pond maintainence to do this afternoon but will only take 15 minutes or so says I with :crossfingers:

Kev and Chris, glad you have landed safely Brrr on the 2 cardigan weather. When do you leave for the warmer Cooks Islands?

Ellen, our Robins have just recently fledged. I saw a a very young female cardinal the other day. It was quite brownish and still had a short tail.
When we were in Huntsville camping the other week we heard lots of different Warblers and Wood Thrushes which we have never heard there before. I think they stayed a little bit south of their more northern nesting grounds this year.

Char, you don't have your perennial gardens any more. Perhaps that is why you aren't seeing the hummers. Glad you had a good time visiting with the new baby yesterday.

Darla, tell the anesthetist about the vomiting from the anesthetic. He or she will give you something that should prevent that before they wake you up. It is important for him to also know that you have difficulty waking up . Do you go to a pre surgical acessment prior to surgery in the US? If so, mention it to the pre op nurse or anethetist at that visit as well.

Time to get back outside

cheers,

Gail

Bill, hope you catch your garden vandal on camera !

WthrLady
06-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Darla, I'm right there with ya ! I shake VIOLENTLY, and they have a really hard time getting me going.

That said. The last time I asked for a spinal and I was good. They drug you, but it's not the full knock out.

========
Something knocked over the swallow's shoebox last night and it squished and killed one: three left, two can fly- one we found hiding on a lawn chair.

So now the fledglings are sitting on a towel nest, on top of a dry iron bird bath, on top of a side table.

They can hurry up and leave ANYTIME! LOL.
========
Family traveling across country for a visit. Should be fun, we haven't seen them for two years, except via facetime.
=======
Darla, nothing wrong with a village helping watch the children, until the parents start to abuse the villagers.
=======
Got some great country shots yesterday, will try to get them on RIL later today.
=======
Time to get off the phone and into the washing. Blech.

Have a great day all.

WthrLady
06-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Adding in
we NEVER had our hummingbirds show up in Alabama either. They come across the Gulf Of Mexico starving and stay for about two weeks doing nothing but eating before they head north. That's in April. They didn't show.

Scene Chaser
06-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Anne, definitely two legs. He/she cuts off the plant and then leaves it lay. It's a nice clean cut, just like a razor. Setting up a second camera today. I'll go to a hiding spot I made tomorrow morning and take my kindle and a handheld camera. I'm going sleuthing. :)

I think the cold days in late spring killed a lot of young, and most birds had to start over.
Bill

Ellen in Ont
06-30-2013, 03:53 PM
A perfect summer day here. I sat outside for my lunch listening to all the birds.

Char - To fix the camper floor Brian took off the plywood flooring, took out the wet insulation, cut out rotten soft supporting beams, replaced the beams, insulation and play wood and now is putting down floating wood flooring. Sorry there isn't an easier way to do it. :rolleyes:
For my painting, I used my usual Fabriano 300 lb paper and my usual masking fluid. I think it's called Demco? It's blue. I have never had a problem with it before but it's my fault leaving it on so long. It all finally came off with just a few little areas in the hair that won't be noticeable (thank goodness). It's full sheet and I didn't want to start over.

I better start thinking about what to make for supper. Last night we ate at 9:00 when Brian got back from working on the camper. I just realized that the grocery store will be closed tomorrow so a quick trip out there might be next on my list. Have a great weekend everyone.

olliewood0702
06-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Gail, we do have pre-op testing, heart, etc. I do tell them about the vomiting and they say they give me something but it depends how long you are "under." Last knee surgery I was under 3 1/2 hrs because he forgot to do something and had to go back in. Sheesh.:confused:

Aww Caryl, those poor little birdies, if the remaining survive it'll be a miracle.

Ellen, My Dad had to do the same thing to replace rotted flooring in their travel trailer. It's a HUGE job. I'm glad you were able to salvage your full sheet portrait.:thumbsup:

A bunny has eaten some petunias, some beans and was munching on some of my perennials.:eek: Larry has set out a live trap and hopefully we'll catch him. Larry did put up fencing around the veggie garden now. He caught a young one a while ago and it must have gotten so frightened that he was dead when he checked the trap. Jen said that it died of fright. We felt bad but what can you do? Larry will try to catch this one and re-locate him...if he survives in the live trap. They sure can do some damage in a short amount of time.

It looked like we were going to get a shower but it didn't happen; now the sun is back out. The forecast is calling for rain for the next four days! I'm hoping not on Thursday and Friday.:(

It will be a nice long weekend for our Canadian Friends too right?:clap:

Lulu
06-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Kev and Chris, glad you have landed safely Brrr on the 2 cardigan weather. When do you leave for the warmer Cooks Islands?

Tuesday, which is one more sleep for us!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Roun2it
06-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Arrrrrrrggghhhhhh only one more sleep then back on a plane ....... I need butt recovery .... :lol:

Up now had disturbed sleep but feeling ok.

All three flights were so bumpy so spent most time locked in seats. A marathon 30 hours travel ........

Yorky
06-30-2013, 05:25 PM
I know you are going to have a great time with Lulu and John Kev.

Doug

NancyR
06-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Good afternoon, a cold front moved through and dropped the temperature by 10 degrees. Ironed clothes, bought groceries, and visited Mom. She was doing much better today. I go in tomorrow for my 3rd shot, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it works.

Kev and Lulu: Have fun on your adventure to the Cook Islands.:wave:

Hello to everyone else. Hugs to everyone in need.

laudesan
06-30-2013, 07:16 PM
It's defo two cardigan weather here in Oz. we landed and it was pouring down then it was really chilly leaving the airport.

Just done the hugs and kisses thing, had a cup of tea and now off to bed ..... Chris is already fast asleep.

Will talk more tomorrow ....:thumbsup: :wave:Welcome back Kev and Chris.............

villagernb
06-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Good evening, one and all.

Tomorrow is Canada Day, so this is our long weekend. Cross Country Checkup on CBC Radio had "Who is your favourite Canadian?" as their phone-in topic this afternoon. I think they do the same show every year.:rolleyes:

Bill, what a dirty, rotten so-and-so! I hope you catch him/her!:mad:

Caryl, sorry about your poor baby birds; they are so fragile.
Have fun with your visitors.

I feel responsible for everyone's missing Hummers! They seem to all be here! We have at least three males (who fight constantly) and at least six females, who have recently become invisible so I think they are sitting on nests.

Wishing the travellers safe and exciting adventures.:wave:

Good night

Anne