PDA

View Full Version : "The last sunset ever"

illastrat
06-29-2013, 12:28 PM
tell me what you think. This is a rendition of a photograph. I stylized but the color scheme was inspired by the photo.

birdhs
06-29-2013, 02:50 PM
I love the active mark-making, loose yet deliberate.

The harsh geometric edges of the mountains contrast well with the organic lines

your choices of colors, as always, are vibrant and engaging.

the waterfall / river is a bit 'off' in terms of realism, but works for me

thanx 4 sharing this with us

greggo

davefriend
06-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Certainly easy to recognize your style to which you have added a Van Gogh-ish style to your sunset sky. What size is the actual canvas?

On the negative side the radiating yellow brush strokes which are one of the highlights are lined up too evenly IMHO rather than intertwining or alternating. On the colors I am liking most of them but the lighter blue stream/waterfalls seem out of place or like afterthoughts. Maybe it is that the lighter colors in the mountain highlights and the stream with the white cloud like puffs are standing out and are drawing the viewers attention away from your real COI - The Last Sunset.

I have shown this in the grayscale image of your painting below.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2013/538491-illustrat_landscape.jpg

Nice to see you branching out and trying new things. It is good to move out of our comfort zone. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ShaunGa
07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I think this is wonderful. :) I enjoy your landscapes. They are beautiful and my buttons don't get pushed so much :)

trufflecat
07-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Dave has taken my comment - reminds me of Van Gogh! Bold and original, you are going some place, just keep going.