PDA

View Full Version : On the Rocks II

harryfisherman
06-29-2013, 04:21 AM
16 x 20 oil on canvas.

Horizontal wave movement might be too strong...too frequent.

I tried to lead the eye into the painting with wave movement.

All comments welcome.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2013/113016-rsz_1000_0669.jpg

bocote
06-29-2013, 07:15 AM
You have a lot of nice brush work and detail in the waves and water forms and I'm happy with frequency and wave placements.

There are a couple things I see. This composition feels a little open and lacking in subject; I'm okay with that if this is a particular scene. The entire painting feels somewhat flat for a couple reasons - Some of that nice detail in the waves is on the horizon and background land; the horizon line on the right is hard; the rocks in the foreground have soft edges.

dgford
06-29-2013, 08:51 AM
I like this a lot. My only suggestions are that you have a slight glaze of yellow light (making a light green) showing through the thinner walls of the waves just above centre with the left one having more transparency. There would be your centre of focus.

Then repeat just a hint of the same in the foreground water.

But, as I am strictly a watercolour painter, I can't offer hints on how to do it !
Geoff

harryfisherman
06-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for commenting. bocote and dgford.

Harry

harryfisherman
06-29-2013, 05:58 PM
You have a lot of nice brush work and detail in the waves and water forms and I'm happy with frequency and wave placements.

There are a couple things I see. This composition feels a little open and lacking in subject; I'm okay with that if this is a particular scene. The entire painting feels somewhat flat for a couple reasons - Some of that nice detail in the waves is on the horizon and background land; the horizon line on the right is hard; the rocks in the foreground have soft edges.

Bryan, if you were going to improve this what would you do?.
Thanks

Harry

eyecandy2
06-30-2013, 12:52 PM
I think you have done a wonderful job of capturing the sea. Even though it lacks a real center of interest, it still works. I would like to know the size and media of the painting.

tstellma
06-30-2013, 05:02 PM
I think the main problem might be a certain repetition of wave, splash and rock (in this succession) in foreground as well in midground, not exactly, but approximately. I also donīt see whatīs your focus.

harryfisherman
06-30-2013, 06:15 PM
16 x 20 oil on canvas.

Thanks everyone for commenting.

Harry

bocote
06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
I'll photoshop up a solution Monday for you. I was out of town over the weekend.

harryfisherman
07-01-2013, 12:19 AM
I'll photoshop up a solution Monday for you. I was out of town over the weekend.

Thank you Bryan very much.

Harry

AlainJ
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
My impression is that the two rocks are competing for attention. The foreground one has a touch of warm yellow while the back one has the strongest contrasts (black and white). The back one either should be dimmed/softened or the front one muted. The second suggestion seems weaker.

shoshona
07-02-2013, 04:10 AM
Hi love the passion of the picture. Perhaps the front wave will need to split far left to break up the repeat feel. Eg the left part of split to go different direction perhaps via a small rock. For focal point a small yacht could be added left of far rock with sails that show up with sea background. You could stick a bit of paper cut to shape and laid on image to se how it works. The same technique can be used to see if wave change works.
Regards Shoshona
http://www.rock-your-soul.co.uk

harryfisherman
07-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks Shoshona for commenting.

Harry

gebhm
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't change a thing. I like it just the way it is. I have seen a place like this when I went to Ireland. If you feel you must do something a little green to lighten the breaking wave closest to you otherwise frame and hang. I think you have captured the scene as it is.

harryfisherman
07-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Bryan

Did you have a chance to Photoshop my painting.?.

Thanks

Harry

mv-Frank
07-06-2013, 03:08 PM
harryfisherman-
I like this painting. My suggestions are-
1) the mountain in the distance: I think it should be more blue+white, and as it rises, a touch more white. The edge should be less defined as it meets the sky. I also think there's to much red in that mountain.
2) the crashing wave in the lower R needs more definition and contrast, since it's close to the viewer. It's as if it's in a fog...
It's a very nice piece, and I think it's going to be a great one!
mv-Frank

madtripper
07-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Waves are well done. someone mentioned adding a bit more highlights in the front crash - I would agree.

The waves are coming from the left and seem to stop at the two rocks. The water between the two rocks is still, and even past the two main waves the water is quite still. With waves this size I would expect a lot more activity out in the water past the rocks.

I am not sure if the hill in the distance is helping. It may be balancing things? Waves like this remind me of bad weather, and the current weather is calm and sunny. You do get this after a storm - waves last a long time. But maybe the sky needs to have some dark clouds, maybe with some sun peaking through. If the dark clouds are position to the left, then they could replace the hill for a balancing effect.