PDA

View Full Version : Soft Pastel: "His Eyes"

aidaebr
06-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Hello friends!

I hope all of you are doing great! I wasn't around for nearly two months, and I missed here so badly :)

After returning home, this is my first work and is 24"x18". And as usual, I appreciate all your C&C :thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2013/1104562-IMG_1093_2.jpg

PushingPixels
06-29-2013, 12:18 AM
I love this one very well done with lots of interesting things to ponder

aidaebr
06-29-2013, 12:34 AM
I love this one very well done with lots of interesting things to ponder

I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for your comment :)

birdhs
06-29-2013, 12:58 AM
the colors work together, the entire painting seems cohesive, well thought out.

but it seems a bit overworked, perhaps less detail and more active and loose mark-making. But that is just the way I envision I might have done it.

the more I study it, the more I like it..

I am just unsure how much I like this, either it is a very good painting or a really good painting.

and thanx 4 sharing this with us

greggo

aidaebr
06-29-2013, 01:04 AM
the colors work together, the entire painting seems cohesive, well thought out.

but it seems a bit overworked, perhaps less detail and more active and loose mark-making. But that is just the way I envision I might have done it.

the more I study it, the more I like it..

I am just unsure how much I like this, either it is a very good painting or a really good painting.

and thanx 4 sharing this with us

greggo

Thanks for your time and all the comments you made :)

Jody Schmidt
06-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Love pastels but those who can't work them end up with crayon drawings...but, of course, you got pastel skill! It's really intellectual meets whimsical, like some of the cubism offshoots, but in spirit, not in style. This is not a cheap stylistic copy by any means. The focal point organism is stitched together nicely. And, I am picturing the upper left as a porthole shaped window leading to a view of the skyline, but the shapes suggestive of a skyline connect with a brown pillar that leads right behind the organism, so I am not sure if that observation is correct, but it adds to the effect either way. Not bad! :)

alangraham
06-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Great job here. Totally agree with everyone else. Is it hard to use the pastels with such a large piece?

aidaebr
06-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Love pastels but those who can't work them end up with crayon drawings...but, of course, you got pastel skill! It's really intellectual meets whimsical, like some of the cubism offshoots, but in spirit, not in style. This is not a cheap stylistic copy by any means. The focal point organism is stitched together nicely. And, I am picturing the upper left as a porthole shaped window leading to a view of the skyline, but the shapes suggestive of a skyline connect with a brown pillar that leads right behind the organism, so I am not sure if that observation is correct, but it adds to the effect either way. Not bad! :)

I liked your observation :) Thanks for your comments and sharing your thoughts.

aidaebr
06-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Great job here. Totally agree with everyone else. Is it hard to use the pastels with such a large piece?

Yes, It's not easy ;) I appreciate you for looking and am glad you like it.

Katie Black
06-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Aida...this is wonderful..easily my favourite of yours to date...you've got it all going on in this piece! Love it.

aidaebr
06-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Aida...this is wonderful..easily my favourite of yours to date...you've got it all going on in this piece! Love it.

REALLY?! You made my day Katie :) Many thanks :thumbsup:

davefriend
06-29-2013, 09:01 PM
This is so very easy to appreciate. Nice pastel work, good lines, colors and shapes. Overall it has lots to interest me. I think you could enhance your next one by adding more contrast ~ if you want to ~ It seems you started to but eased off and kept it a softer impact.

Every piece it a little bit of it's creator and so create on... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

aidaebr
06-29-2013, 10:38 PM
This is so very easy to appreciate. Nice pastel work, good lines, colors and shapes. Overall it has lots to interest me. I think you could enhance your next one by adding more contrast ~ if you want to ~ It seems you started to but eased off and kept it a softer impact.

Every piece it a little bit of it's creator and so create on... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for your instructive comment and suggestion. I'll for sure consider them :) Feels good that you like it Dave :thumbsup: