PDA

View Full Version : Untitled... Simple Colorfield

alangraham
06-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Very basic piece at 30in x 40in. Maybe call it 'Gold & Copper Over Bronze.'

Should go well with the steampunk colors I've been fooling around with of late.

The one thing I do like about this one is how you can view it with red or yellow on top. IMHO, I feel each color gives off a different feel/mood when on top. Kinda cool. Anyone else agree?

abstractca
06-28-2013, 10:49 AM
I noticed the corners are different then what you usually do, but it works very nicely!
love that color combo, really stands out nicely.
I like it with the gold on top the best.
it doesn't even need a frame the picture carries itself

alangraham
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Abstractca :). What do you mean by 'the corners' being different? I was confused by that.

I go back and forth in regards to what I like better-- Right now I too like the gold. Yes, I would love to frame it in a floater frame, but just do not have money for that. I painted the sides black so it looks rather well as is.

Jody Schmidt
06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Gold on top is more satisfying, but copper on top is more imbalanced, top-heavy, which can often be a powerful compositional strength when intentional (even accidental). Gold and copper are used well here. Nice!

birdhs
06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
The shading of the panels gives this a depth and modeling that gives this one a definitely different feel.

a very good sensation

thanx for sharing this one with us

greggo

alangraham
06-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks Jody and for taking the time to comment. I'll probably attach wires on the back at both ends so folks can turn it around and view however :).

Thanks Greggo. This one took about 10 days on and off as I added too many layers to count :). I'm excited about varnishing it since I have a feeling the colors will really pop out then even more. RIght now it needs to be in the right location to really see everything.

Katie Black
06-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Nicely done, I like it both ways, the colours are just glorious (my favourite word today):)

alangraham
06-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks, Katie :). Glorious is a great word!

Ol' Don
07-03-2013, 12:07 PM
I simply love the subtle changes you are making within the same basic color. Delicious.

I don't know if you are trying for a "Rothko" effect, but this is a splendid color field painting. I vote for gold at the top!

mynameiszero
07-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm feeling the copper on top version! Works well both ways.

Lostgirl
08-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Mark Rothko inspired, just google his name (-:

trufflecat
08-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Works for me both ways, and I'm not even a Rothko fan.

CarlyHardy
08-29-2013, 06:18 PM
I like it either way. Might hang it with the gold on the bottom however, because I like to surprise the viewer.