PDA

View Full Version : Tempestuous

davefriend
06-27-2013, 11:55 PM
I took a que from Harry Spitz's comment on my previous painting when he mentioned Kokoschka's The Tempest. I am calling this "Tempestuous" but could also be considering 'Turbulence' too. It is a 16"x20" acrylic painting on stretched canvas. With a similar palette to the last painting without the green tones.

Very active and full of images - more than the last and this one offers other views if you rotate it. Quite fun in my opinion. Does the edge treatment bother you?

Hope you like it too. Any comments and criticisms are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2013/538491-tempestuous_16x20_643x800.jpg

Thanks for looking!

birdhs
06-28-2013, 12:32 AM
to quote:

"I kept looking at it and finding all sorts of interesting images.

but rather than do a public display of my Rorschach Test results
I'll just let on that this really appeals to me.
No need to hear about what I saw......

The colors are balanced well, active strong mark-making, no one area is dull or garish, and I'm NOT going to rotate this.

I enjoy as it is displayed by the artist

Great piece"

and I love these colors, and the edge treatment, self-framing

I was reading recently that one of Pollock's trademarks was that he painted beyond the edge, while most everyone else painted to the edge...looking at this, it has boundaries. I am undecided which concept I like better:confused:

thanx 4 sharing this with us

greggo"

ArtyRolina
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
I think it is great and has a lot of movement. I would prefer it without the darker edges.

It certainly captures my interest and I find my eyes flitting around trying to settle. Reminds me a bit of tiny life-forms under a microscope.

bluhunter
06-28-2013, 09:48 AM
My favorite color. Nice blended edge.

alangraham
06-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Dave, I love the edge. I'm a fan of borders/edges like this as they draw one in. Awesome!

abstractca
06-28-2013, 10:31 AM
it's very soothing to look at, I also like the darkness around the edges it draws you in and gives you a feeling of mysterious.
the colors work very well together and gives off a nice balance.
I really like the movement!

Jody Schmidt
06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
This does have great energy. And, the mass of turbulence seems to lift up out of the void and surge toward the viewer. The yellow elements seem to tell the story in the backdrop of a tempest of unearthly proportions! Pretty cool.

davefriend
06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
to quote:
"I kept looking at it and finding all sorts of interesting images.

but rather than do a public display of my Rorschach Test results
I'll just let on that this really appeals to me.
No need to hear about what I saw......

The colors are balanced well, active strong mark-making, no one area is dull or garish, and I'm NOT going to rotate this.

I enjoy as it is displayed by the artist

Great piece"

and I love these colors, and the edge treatment, self-framing

I was reading recently that one of Pollock's trademarks was that he painted beyond the edge, while most everyone else painted to the edge...looking at this, it has boundaries. I am undecided which concept I like better

thanx 4 sharing this with us

greggo" Thanks greggo, always some substance from you. Very much welcome. :wave:
I think it is great and has a lot of movement. I would prefer it without the darker edges.

It certainly captures my interest and I find my eyes flitting around trying to settle. Reminds me a bit of tiny life-forms under a microscope.Appreciate your comments Rolina, I may try without the border on another one later in this style exploration.
My favorite color. Nice blended edge.bluhunter thanks, I love those colors too. :)
Dave, I love the edge. I'm a fan of borders/edges like this as they draw one in. Awesome!Thanks Cory! Awesome is good. :thumbsup:
it's very soothing to look at, I also like the darkness around the edges it draws you in and gives you a feeling of mysterious.
the colors work very well together and gives off a nice balance.
I really like the movement! Thanks for your thoughts abstractca, especially about the dark boundary surrounding the subjects.
This does have great energy. And, the mass of turbulence seems to lift up out of the void and surge toward the viewer. The yellow elements seem to tell the story in the backdrop of a tempest of unearthly proportions! Pretty cool. This kept being built over itself in more and more visible shapes and patterns until it was difficult to call an end to the mark making. A lot of stuff happening inside the frame and I'm glad you felt it was pretty cool! Thanks Paul :D

sarouth864
06-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Feel like im in the water with full of drama going on. Nice work!!!

Katie Black
06-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Dave, I love the painting, even more than the last one, which I liked, I am unsure about the border though...

davefriend
06-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Feel like im in the water with full of drama going on. Nice work!!! Thanks sarouth, there could be an aquatic attitude to it!
Dave, I love the painting, even more than the last one, which I liked, I am unsure about the border though...I am more attached to this last one also will be interested to see where the third one goes! Thanks Katie :)

El Elegante
06-30-2013, 02:21 AM
Very fluid.

Steeldolphin
06-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Very active and lively piece. The edge treatment (almost like a vignette) tends to reign in this flamboyance and make the activity appear captured, so in some respects it works on various levels, though I am sitting the fence on how I feel about it.

Overall I really like this piece Dave, great work as usual

harrymspitz
06-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Maybe about a million years after the big bang. The galaxies are starting to coalesce. I like the way this looks like dozens of vignettes like a work by Pieter Bruegel the Elder. I don't mind the dark border, like I said only a million years after the big bang so there is still room to expand.

davefriend
06-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Very fluid. :)
Very active and lively piece. The edge treatment (almost like a vignette) tends to reign in this flamboyance and make the activity appear captured, so in some respects it works on various levels, though I am sitting the fence on how I feel about it.

Overall I really like this piece Dave, great work as usualOn the border issue I have noted that one side is a little different - on one hand I like that and the other hand wonder if it was more uniform how that would affect it overall. Thanks for the thoughts Chris!
Maybe about a million years after the big bang. The galaxies are starting to coalesce. I like the way this looks like dozens of vignettes like a work by Pieter Bruegel the Elder. I don't mind the dark border, like I said only a million years after the big bang so there is still room to expand.Amazing that you use the word 'Coalesce' as this was almost my title when I finished ...my thoughts were that 'Tempest' (another Harry Spitz contribution) would be more interesting and less intellectually distracting than 'Coalesce' and easier to relate to for buyers on eBay :lol: Thanks for your interesting comments :thumbsup: