PDA

View Full Version : 2 acrylics

Katie Black
06-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Hi Folks, a couple of small acrylics, 16 x 20"..both on canvas paper. C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2013/620452-Wedpics_104.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2013/620452-Different_Path.jpg

davefriend
06-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Love the super vibrancy in these! I don't think the full impact of the first one happens until you put it against a dark background ~ on the WC page the white gets swallowed up. Fabulous against black background :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

idylbrush
06-27-2013, 05:59 PM
The vibrancy and spontaneous feel make these very special in my book.

humanguy
06-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Yeah, Katie! These are a bit different, no?

Really terrific work, Katie.

jimwhalen
06-27-2013, 06:59 PM
These really are special, Katie! Nice work.

abstractca
06-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Love the colors So bright anf bold

Katie Black
06-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Dave...Thanks, and yes your right, the first needs a black background, which is why I changed my background to black on FAA for this very reason, it really stands out on there.

idlybrush...thanks a lot, I sold these pretty quickly, I'm starting to think the less time I spend on a painting, the looser, better they are...I used to think the opposite.

humanguy...Yep I think so...but I have my own style now I think...I can actually see its my work, whereas a couple of years ago I was all over the place I think.

Jim......thank you my friend!

abstracta...glad you like them!

ArtyRolina
06-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Oooh,lovely! The first one especially!

bluhunter
06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Great, very loose and modern. Mounted on board, I suppose.

lobsterpot
06-28-2013, 09:58 AM
There are marks that a painter can make that mean something and there are marks that don't. In these 2 pieces you don't distinguish either so that each piece is diminished by extraneous material.

Eg: in the top piece all the black lines, oval shapes and your approach to 2D geometry, though tentative, simply detracts.

The bottom piece: the black X's, the swirly add-ons, (not to mention the garish purples) are simply embarrassing.

However there are good paintings hiding here if you only have enough courage to let go of the gimmicks and try to paint from the top level of your talent.

alangraham
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Love the first one. The 'x' marks in the second bother me, or at least take my attention away from everything else.

Always a pleasure to view your work, Ms. Black :)

sarouth864
06-28-2013, 06:32 PM
WOAHHH!!! always love your style. Keep going and its amazing. It feel like your just hyper throwing crazy stuff on your canvas and just dancing your brush like crazy. "Berserk Painter." !!!!

Katie Black
06-28-2013, 07:52 PM
ArtyRolina......Hey thanks!
bluhunter.......Thanks, they are on canvas paper.
Anthony......Thanks, I will definitely think about what you have said (really)..the thing is, that as long as I continue to sell my work, which I do, I am more than happy....that's all the validation I need. I paint lively pieces of artwork, which people will either like or not...and I enjoy doing it!, so I'm pretty content with where I'm at right now.:)
Cory..........Gracious
sarouth......LOL! Thanks for your encouragement!..:)

Ol' Don
06-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Can't decide which one I like the most. I think it's the second. So much going on and arranged so well on the page.

I always look forward to seeing your paintings. You are a very accomplished abstract painter.

humanguy
06-28-2013, 11:53 PM
There are marks that a painter can make that mean something and there are marks that don't. In these 2 pieces you don't distinguish either so that each piece is diminished by extraneous material.

Eg: in the top piece all the black lines, oval shapes and your approach to 2D geometry, though tentative, simply detracts.

The bottom piece: the black X's, the swirly add-ons, (not to mention the garish purples) are simply embarrassing.

However there are good paintings hiding here if you only have enough courage to let go of the gimmicks and try to paint from the top level of your talent.

Why do you know anything? I've seen your stuff. I don't think you know what a good painting looks like.

"Let go of the gimmicks!" Everything you put up here is a gimmick.

You don't know what you're talking about, whatever your name is. You're a buff, a pretender. Katie's the real thing. She can paint. You can't.

Now go make circles on a cheap piece of plywood. I'm certain that some stooge will come along and hail it as a great work of art.

aidaebr
06-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Hi Katie! I love the colors in both of them. Great composition and energy!

raeburn10025
06-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Wonderful paintings!

Katie Black
06-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Ol Don...thank you..I needed that!
humanguy...Thanks for your support :)
aidaebr.......Glad you like them
raeburn.......Gracious

Anthony...The comment "the garish purples are simply embarrassing" spoilt my evening! your going to have to calm down a bit, this is too intense for me, (and I know for other people on here too) remember this is supposed to be FUN!! I am always happy to hear your view, but your overstepping the line too often at the moment...:)

Steeldolphin
06-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Don't let Antony get you down Katie, you are loaded with talent, I think these are strong pieces, and enjoy them both. There is something about the second piece that really speaks to me, I love the marks.

lobsterpot
06-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Katie--you get 50 or so people practically tripping over themselves to give you wonderful accolades and one person (your truly) who isn't--but who doesn't go off blindly criticizing your work instead offering explanations and suggestions how it can be improved.

Of course you can ignore my comments since, as you say, you sold the pieces and that's all that matters to you--OK, but that doesn't change my critique one iota. It's not personal--you're one of my favorite people here--but it's my opinion based on experience and as I said to cory, who complained that I was too critical of his piece--if you don't want me to critique your work--just say so and I'll add you to the no-crit list.

Otherwise, relax!

alangraham
06-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, since my name was dropped here, I feel I need to comment.

Anthony-- criticizing our work is fine, man, it's how you word it. You say relax, and I get that, but you need to relax as well. This is an art forum where we share our work and ask for comments and critiques-- however, the critiques need to be worded in the right way. If this forum were like a prestigious gallery or a New York Times article judging fine art, then go for it! However, it's not.

Even how you worded this comment just now to Katie could have been done in a better way. It comes off as arrogant and passive-aggressive-- how can we take you seriously when you talk about a no-crit list as if you are suggesting we are too sensitive to receive critical comments?

When you act like the ultimate voice on what makes good art, it makes the other 50 people who commented seem ignorant and amateurish because their views on good art are different from yours.

Katie Black
06-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Cory...Very well said..your right.:D

Chris...I'm fine, thank you very much.:)

Anthony..Just temper your comments a bit and we will all get along fine..that's all we are saying, I really don't like unpleasantness..it gives me heartburn.

Exciting news!!!..I am going to be in a magazine tommorow...

aidaebr
06-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Cory...Very well said..your right.:D

Chris...I'm fine, thank you very much.:)

Anthony..Just temper your comments a bit and we will all get along fine..that's all we are saying, I really don't like unpleasantness..it gives me heartburn.

Exciting news!!!..I am going to be in a magazine tommorow...

That's great Katie! I'm so happy for you :) which magazine BTW?

davefriend
06-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Exciting news!!!..I am going to be in a magazine tommorow...Super!!:music::music::clap::clap::music::music:

humanguy
06-30-2013, 07:26 PM
--if you don't want me to critique your work--just say so and I'll add you to the no-crit list.

You can add me to that list. Nothing personal, I just don't think you know much about art.

Katie Black
06-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Hi Aida and Dave, thanks, its www.splitlipmagazine.com an online mag, for literature/music/fine art and film...so I'm July/August's featured artist..the artist they are featuring at the moment is a guy called Jason and his work is really very interesting.

fiddleplayer
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
And you're live right now, Katie--the front page of Split Lip Magazine is all about Katie Black!

alangraham
07-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Wow, AmAZING, Katie!!! So happy for you, and your story about art is wonderful. Wow. :)

Katie Black
07-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks Fiddleplayer and Cory, I've just seen it myself! :)

humanguy
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
That's a great break, Katie, one that you most definitely deserve.

birdhs
07-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Katie- I see you list Costa Rica as your location.
Do the bright tropical colors all around you influence your paintings?
I have viewed photos of that area
and I remember the houses and clothing are so colorful.

These seem like upbeat paintings, judging from the colors chosen.

thanx 4 sharing them with us.

greggo

raeburn10025
07-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Wonderful profile in the magazine. It was great to see your other paintings too. Congrats and keep up the great work!

Jon
07-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Good profile article, congratulations, Katie!

Katie Black
07-02-2013, 12:06 PM
J....Thank you my friend.
Greggo...Yes the colours here are a strong influence, the light is incredible too!
raeburn10025..Thank you so much!
Jon....Thank you Jon for taking the time to comment..much appreciated.:)

Sixoclock
07-02-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm late to this rodeo, sorry. :) I haven't been around much but that's neither here nor there. I LOVE your work Katie. I love it because you are expressive and you are you. You continue to grow as an artist despite the nonsense people try to feed you and that's the important thing. Some people surround themselves with art and drown themselves in a million ideas, flailing wildly, hoping that something will stick to them that they can call uniquely inspired "creativity" -- but you just simply... are. You let "yourself" paint. Instead of trying to teach yourself how to paint. That's the difference and that's what others see in your work.

I like your work very much.

Love, Me.

Katie Black
07-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Pawn...Thank you so much!..that means a lot....and I will not forget your words..:heart:

Sixoclock
07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
You are always welcome. :)

Pawn...Thank you so much!..that means a lot....and I will not forget your words..:heart:

trufflecat
07-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Katie, I am belatedly catching up on all this news. Just saw your Split Lip Magazine piece. Congratulations! Your writeup on your history in Dubai was fascinating, and I love all of the images of your work shown there too. "Vista" reminds me of Brian Rutenberg! Keep up the good work; it is all terrific.

Katie Black
07-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Thank you Trufflecat...Yes "Vista" was inspired by the work of Brian Rutenberg :)

Katie Black
07-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Anthony....On balance, I don't feel like anything all that positive is ever going to come my way from your critiques, and so with that in mind, I would prefer you to add me to your list of people that you don't provide critique for..thank you.

brighteye76
07-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I love these, the second is my favorite. I love your bright colors! And you are right, if the are selling, you must be doing something right!! Don't fix what's not broken.

brighteye76
07-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm late to this rodeo, sorry. :) I haven't been around much but that's neither here nor there. I LOVE your work Katie. I love it because you are expressive and you are you. You continue to grow as an artist despite the nonsense people try to feed you and that's the important thing. Some people surround themselves with art and drown themselves in a million ideas, flailing wildly, hoping that something will stick to them that they can call uniquely inspired "creativity" -- but you just simply... are. You let "yourself" paint. Instead of trying to teach yourself how to paint. That's the difference and that's what others see in your work.

I like your work very much.

Love, Me.

I think this pretty much sums it up!

AddiesArt
07-10-2013, 11:15 AM
:clap:
Fabulous!

Katie Black
07-11-2013, 12:54 PM
brighteye...thank you, I agree!
AddiesArt...I appreciate your clap!

jimwhalen
07-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Somehow, I overlooked this post!! Anyway I want to weigh in and offer my congrats on the article. I haven't read it yet. but I will before the end of the day.

brighteye76
07-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Yay!! Katie!! That is so exciting!! Congrats!!

Katie Black
07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Jim....Thank you, I hope you enjoyed the article.

brighteye...Thank you very much!

Sonata_In_Pink
07-18-2013, 09:26 AM
These are extremely fun to look at.
... and are inspiring me to try my hand at painting :|
Thank you for sharing!

laf.art
07-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi Katie, great news you deserve it I love your work and really enjoyed reading your piece.

Katie Black
07-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Sonata_In_Pink...Thank you, I had fun painting these.
laf.art....thanks, I appreciate that.

andrewss
07-20-2013, 03:50 AM
definitely like the first one better, good stuff katie ;)