PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Field Abstract

alangraham
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
I live in the lush Willamette Valley of Oregon. That said, farm fields are everywhere. I'm not quite sure what some of them are, perhaps wheat? Anyhow, I was driving the other day and was in awe of how red the fields were turning, especially against a cloudy sky.

Feel free to view this however you want. I like it as a landscape, but viewed in the other way is nice, too. The black line just happened and was not an intention.

Thanks for looking!

alangraham
06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
One more...

birdhs
06-27-2013, 12:27 PM
The mark-making is superb, it works in this painting.
I could sit and look at this easily for hours while listening to Vivaldi...
definitely among the best you've done
draws the viewer in and holds them there

thanx 4 sharing with us

greggo

jimwhalen
06-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Yes, Cory! This is one of my favorites of yours. As Greggo pointed out, superb mark making. I like it best as a landscape.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fiddleplayer
06-27-2013, 12:31 PM
How big is this? Love the color, the texture, the mark-making. Very cool. I like it particularly as a landscape.

davefriend
06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
I like it Cory. There is a moodyness to it and I think the colors go well to set a mood. Nice work on the straight line too. :thumbsup:

Spottters
06-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Nice job Cory. I like it, although I wish it had just a bit more misty light IMHO :)
Over all really nice though.

Katie Black
06-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi Cory, I tend to agree, and think it's one of your best, great colour and light in this piece!

Jon
06-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Nice work, Cory. Wheat fields can have a red tinge to them as they mature.

abstractca
06-27-2013, 10:04 PM
It lookd great!!

lobsterpot
06-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Not good. The "sky" is very muddy, the "field" also especially in the corners, and the dark line looks like a poorly sutured flesh wound. You're certainly not out-Rothkoing Rothko with this one.

Remember the mantra: Keep your color clean. Suggest you paint this one out once you've learned from it.

ArtyRolina
06-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I love the way you have applied the paint and the composition. It would work as a landscape to me if the dark line wasn't present, but that doesn't mean the dark line is wrong, I think it adds a certain oomph to the painting. the combination of the reds with the blue/greys is really good, too.

alangraham
06-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Wow, big thanks to everyone! I'm glad I got-- for the most part-- such great comments as I was unsure about this one.

Greggo-- Thanks. Yes, it's for sure a painting that can gaze at for some time. A lot going on.

Jim-- Thanks. I'm happy with the knife making as well.

Fiddleplayer-- Thanks. It's 24in x 36in. Slim and long :).

Dave-- Thanks. Glad you sense the moodiness as I do too. The straight line was just be fooling around with a palette knife.

Spotters-- Thanks for the comment. It's rather more colorful in person. The photo isn't that great.

Katie-- Glad you like it! :). Not sure if it's one of my best, but it's up
there!

Jon-- Thanks for commenting. I always feel honored when you do as I understand how busy you are :).

Abstracta-- Thanks :)

Rolina-- Thanks. The dark line was an afterthought and an accident. I'm glad it's there, but while painting I had not thoughts of doing that. I think it was born out of frustration?

alangraham
06-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Anthony-- Thanks for taking the time to comment. However, since 99% of the group has enjoyed it, are you just being the 1%? Perhaps if you you had commented first you'd have liked it better?

Yes, there is some mudding but I feel there's good emotion and energy here so I shall leave it but do plan to add another thin layer.

lobsterpot
06-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Not at all--I'm 100% honest with you in my crits because I believe you're enough of an artist to take in what I write, and employ what you find useful in the crit and discard the remainder.

But, as it stands now, there are 2 listees who will go unnamed who have asked me not to crit their pics so if you want to make it 3 be my guest--not a problem!

alangraham
06-28-2013, 10:38 AM
No, I appreciate your honesty, Anthony. For the most part, I have grown good at receiving crits on my work. Perhaps I awoke on the wrong side of the bed today and feeling over sensitive?

Then again, you seem to dislike my color fields and then when I attempt something different you dislike that as well. Honestly, what do you like? Sometimes you remind me of this guy from the 90s http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108734/ as his catchphrase is, 'it stinks.'

But since we are being honest, don't get me wrong-- please keep posting/commenting. Even if I disagree with you, I appreciate the time taken to view and comment on my work :).