PDA

View Full Version : Fishing boat

nes_matt
06-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Here is tonight's adventure. This reference photo was taken in Cotuit bay on Cape Cod. I had saved it as a b&w and I can't locate the original. A least I didn't feel compelled to match the colors.

A little poor planning laying this out. I placed several details right near the line of the far shoreline. Not such a good idea. I tried to recover with use of titanium white to pull out some detail, but it wasn't too successful imo.

I need to find a tutorial on water because I dont really have a clue how to approach it.

WN half pans, Arches cold press 9x12

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6068/6023359357_9469622fbc_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6023359357/)
_MG_5289.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6023359357/) by MCG Photo (http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/), on Flickr

Yorky
06-26-2013, 03:26 AM
I think your water is fine Matt, the main thing with water is to keep it level and apply perspective - waves get larger and more spaced out in the foreground.

I think this reference is a candidate for s simple monochrome in neutral tint or Payne's Grey.

Doug

pjartwc
06-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Hi Matt - I agree - water is hard to do. In the case of your painting, just look closely at your reference - see how straight the lines are in the water. For the reflections of the boat you might want to dry brush small zig-zags over the wet lines .

painterbear
06-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Hi Matt,
I also agree that realistic looking water isn't easy to paint. You've done a nice job stylizing the waves in your painting though. :D

Check out the Learning Demos (link in my and Doug's signature line or at the top of The Learning Zone) and scroll down. There is a section on Boats which will show water and a bit farther down a larger section on Water and Waves. Enjoy and learn. :D

Sylvia

reikiart
06-26-2013, 08:34 AM
You sure do take some fantastic photos!

olliewood0702
06-26-2013, 09:45 AM
I think your waterlines just need to be completely straight from edge to edge. I'd wash out the ones there and using the same dark blue just brush some long straight lines to define the still water; going right through the reflection of your boat. Your picture is really amazing and it's strange how the water behind the boat is so flat and without any lines. That alone makes it hard to render. Your boat is well done. Please post any changes you make so that we can see. ;)

nes_matt
06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
I think your water is fine Matt, the main thing with water is to keep it level and apply perspective - waves get larger and more spaced out in the foreground.

This is obvious when you think about it, but somehow I missed that... I'll fix the level in the next photo, that's just because I took the pic with my tablet and couldn't do the 3-4degree rotation on there.

I think this reference is a candidate for s simple monochrome in neutral tint or Payne's Grey.

Doug
That would be an interesting exercise picking on color and executing this as a monochrome. It sure would make me think more about value and let me ignore tone for a moment.

nes_matt
06-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I'll work on fixing the waves - attempting the rework will be educational in itself.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate the help. I'm only 3 paintings in but I could find this kind of addicting... One upside is I'm not sitting in the living room with the TV, and my wife gets lonely in there and has been coming to sit with me, and we're actually talking! Imagine that! LOL!

olliewood0702
06-26-2013, 11:08 AM
:lol: :lol: At least your wife gets to watch what SHE wants to watch; while you're painting.:D

You are doing an amazing job so far for only your 3rd painting. I also meant to tell you that the photo reference is STUNNING; so you must be a great photographer too.:thumbsup:

nes_matt
06-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks Darla!

Photography is my primary artistic pursuit. Really the only before this. I wanted to start painting primarily because I thought it would help my photography, but I'm really enjoying painting for paintings sake.

Ps, you can check out my photography in the Flickr link below

olliewood0702
06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
:clap: :clap: WONDERFUL photos on your Flickr site! WOW....you take stunning pics. Isn't watercolor painting fun? IT's convenient, portable, challenging, and safe. THe challenge is the best part. Well that and with my asthma it's pretty much odor free and non-toxic.:thumbsup:

bigskycountry
06-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Your painting is really good for only your 3rd one! I think the float in front of the boat is too large and a hint of a few little close together lines for water behind it and boat would help. Checked out your photos -- Superb!

Just a side note: What I found happened with photography after I started doing water colors is that I now go ahead and release that shutter on those scenes I used to bypass because they'd make a wonderful photo "except for x y or z or if only x y or z were different" -- They often make great reference photos. And sometimes I even go on treasure hunts with my camera with finding something to paint as the only goal. :D