PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors Shed

rgrandy
06-25-2013, 03:59 PM
<!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]-->Looking for any/all C&C... I am amateur collector and painter. I realize I am Much better and buying painting them doing them myself . That said, I am looking to learn and grow in this craft and realize that there is an immense amount of talent on this site and welcome the input. I paint for the enjoyment and relaxation and appreciate all feedback relative to composition, color etc (all areas I can improve on)..

Thx
Rgrandy<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

GardenMaven
06-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Looks like a great beginning, a beam of light through the clouds striking the shed, ground and tree. It could be improved if the tree were less symetrical, perhaps a branch reaching toward, even touching, the shed. This would help pull if off dead center of the canvas, though the center of interest, the shed, is well placed. Some of the sky was peaking through the branches would make the tree look more natural. Keep it up and enjoy! Sandi

AllisonR
06-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Outside - All light comes from the sky. Sky is lightest. Even dark storm cloud is lighter than grass because the storm (sky) is reflecting light off the land (and everything else.) Your shed is crooked. Draw it out on canvas, use perspective horizon line and vanishing points. One tree, circular, dead center is not going to make an interesting composition. Just keep painting. YOu will get better.

dgford
06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
You have started and that is the most important step.

Composition --- all the parts should help to give maximum value to all the other parts. In your painting you have a lot of sky and uninteresting land to the left which do not help us to zero in on your centre of interest. Crop just to the left of the tree to focus attention to the tree and house.

Much of the foreground also holds our eye away from house and tree. Crop straight across about halfway from the bottom edge to the base of the house. If you mask these crops either on the screen or on the original painting you will see what a difference it makes.

Plus attention to the other suggestions and you have a picture worth framing.

Congratulations on your start.

Geoff

rgrandy
06-26-2013, 01:56 PM
thanks much for the various input... I am gonna use this SHED view to redo this painting a few different times including the Input from the people that have commented.. Its very helpful.. I am learning this from home, so each piece of feedback has a few words that I'll research to understand what is meant by it.. I will try and incorporate comments on the "perspective lines", "cropping/recentering" and the amateurish tree in the next try. I have already done this subject twice but willing to do it many more times as a learning experience.. THANKS Millions for the input..

Rgrandy

rgrandy
06-26-2013, 03:14 PM
update... I sketched this out before painting.. using the perspective line.. (If this is what was meant), also, cutting out a lot of the landscape, centering the Shed and tree. Is this a more appropriate view? I will work on the various comments on color when I get to that stage, for this stage I wanted to straighten up the barn, work on a better tree, cut out (crop) the areas that didn't lend to the painting etc...

Again, Thanks Millions for the feedback!
Rgrandy

dgford
06-27-2013, 03:32 AM
Now you are cooking !
Another couple of thoughts for you --- look at these distances: Mid-trunk of left hand tree to house, width of left face of house, width of doorway, edge of doorway to first of the pair of right-hand trees, width between the pair of trees. Notice anything?
Remember, variety is the spice of life --- so what do you think could be done about some of these?
I like the way you are tackling this and that makes helping you so much easier. At least, I hope we are helping you!
Geoff

rgrandy
06-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Now you are cooking !
Another couple of thoughts for you --- look at these distances: Mid-trunk of left hand tree to house, width of left face of house, width of doorway, edge of doorway to first of the pair of right-hand trees, width between the pair of trees. Notice anything?
Remember, variety is the spice of life --- so what do you think could be done about some of these?
I like the way you are tackling this and that makes helping you so much easier. At least, I hope we are helping you!
Geoff

Ah.. I see your points. Looks like the Left face of Shed is to WIDE, and give the impression that I am looking a box from a 45 degree angle throwing off the image relative to the roof and trees......, the Trees to the Right need to be set back a bit and and size increased on the left tree vs the right tree. The door of the Shed is about that wide in real life, not sure if u mean to narrow it up for artistic impression? I think the mid trunk of left tree seems a bit close to shed, probably needs pushed to the Left and maybe set back a tad as well.. That is what I came up with when I considered your C&C... am I on the right track? In the REDUX image, I changed trees, door, left side of Shed, spacial relations of trees.etc.. U are definitely helping me.. at this point I am like a sponge, sucking up knowledge.. The process of reading comments, learning the vocabulary etc is invigorating and fun... The one thing I found most challenging is not drawing, I have always been able to do that pretty well, but actually Painting those images. I realize that I have so much to learn about brush strokes and the various tricks of putting an image on canvas, layering colors, etc..etc..

Thx Millions
Rgrandy

dgford
06-28-2013, 09:48 AM
I would move the outer conifer just a tad to the right to give variety in the spacing. The changes in height is a good idea.
Now pick up your paintbrush and GO !
Geoff

rgrandy
06-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Thx millions for all the input. So helpful in helping me think thru this critically.. I can't wait to paint it and see the outcome. Thanks so much for taking the time to help... Really appreciated.

Thx.
Rgrandy

eyecandy2
06-28-2013, 03:47 PM
I presume that you are a beginner so I won't be harsh. I would pay attention to the above comments and begin to observe real life as an adult instead of through a child's mind. Don't give up. Painting is fun and there is much to learn. Look at photos of paintings done by the masters and see what they have done.

rgrandy
06-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Ok.. did this today...... HMM.. please suggest any and all improvements. (maybe put it in the circular file :) Seems like I had the drawing down fine but then immediately shrank the Shed when put on canvas.. Also seems like just one big Blob of Green taking over the painting.. ARGH...:confused:

That door is quite crooked ( I am in need of liner brush skills)... I have wild flowers dotted in mid left and mid right (don't show up well on camera), but still seems like painting is like a rice cake (dry and tasteless and in need of flavor).. Should I add color to different parts of the grass and or add more shrubbery somewhere.. Definitely better that the first by cropping a lot of the dead space out from the first one. Seems a bit more straight (shed).. and made sure the sky was lighter than the rest of the painting..

As Always, Thx Millions to all willing to give their Input. And please don't hold back.. I can take it.

Rgrandy

bocote
06-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Rgrandy, I didn't read other comments, but there are a couple things I saw initially that might help with your work as you progress.

Firstly your greens look out of tube. Try combinations of yellow + black and limit adding white.

Your trees and buildings are all symbollic and lacking in real form. Practice with composition, study other paintings you like, and try to avoid placing your subjects all on a hill in a row.

For your next painting I would try adding something to the background that will add a layer for the viewer (e.g. from back to front -> sky, mountains, distant trees, subject, foreground bushes).

have fun,

rgrandy
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Hey everyone
thanks much for all the input.. I have put many of the these comments on a little note pad to keep near me as I move on to tackle other subject matter (other Painting subject). This was the first time that I solicited "REAL" input on my paintings. Thanks much to everyone, ya'll have been really really helpful. I am also hoping that this learning will help in the future as I continue build a collection of paintings (Purchased from Galleries and Auctions of course)..

Special thanks to DGFORD for taking the time to walk me thru a few things and making me think. I have always liked that style.

As Always, Thanks Millions
Rgrandy