PDA

View Full Version : Good Pastel Pencil Set for Portraits

ArtsyM
06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi all! I am new to the WetCanvas community. I mostly do graphite/charcoal portraits but have decided to branch out from my comfort zone into the world of color. I am debating between using Prismacolor pencils or working with pastel pencils. I am leaning towards pastel pencils because when I do graphite portraits, I tend to smudge a lot and pastels are good for smudging.

Which brand of pastel pencils set would be the best to get for portraits and that has the best range of skintones? I would like a set that is preferably not dusty/messy as I know many pastels can be.

Thanks!

JPQ
06-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Hi all! I am new to the WetCanvas community. I mostly do graphite/charcoal portraits but have decided to branch out from my comfort zone into the world of color. I am debating between using Prismacolor pencils or working with pastel pencils. I am leaning towards pastel pencils because when I do graphite portraits, I tend to smudge a lot and pastels are good for smudging.

Which brand of pastel pencils set would be the best to get for portraits and that has the best range of skintones? I would like a set that is preferably not dusty/messy as I know many pastels can be.

Thanks!

I dont own this but this is only pastel pencil set for potraits what i know. make maybe better links later:
http://www.pencils.co.uk/newsitem.aspx?nid=187

robertsloan2
06-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Cretacolor pastel pencils have a very good range of skin tones in the big 72 color set. I had that set and it's currently back in Arkansas. If you don't want to buy the big set, you can pick out the earth tones and some useful colors out of open stock, or just get a small set and supplement it by choosing good useful earth tones as extras. The big set, half of them are muted colors or earth tones or grays, one entire tray. I found its range good for all subjects.

I have the Stabilo 60 color set here because of how I packed my stuff, but the Cretacolor ones were very good.