PDA

View Full Version : HEUNG IL aluminum watercolor palette - any good?

MarekB
06-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had experience/opinions on the aluminum Heung IL palettes that come from an eh-Bay seller in Korea... looks like a rather inexpensive knock-off of the original Holbein palette, probably lighter (and flimsier?), certainly cheaper... I think I may need a larger palette for half-sheets, stand-up plein air, and this one looks promising... here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/978906-HEUNG_IL.jpg

TIA,

alexs
06-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Marek
I have one. You get what you pay for. Yes its light and on the flimsy side but it will do the job. Had no problems ordering it from Korea. Arrived in 3 weeks from Korea to Montreal.

virgil carter
06-25-2013, 08:44 AM
M. two issues to consider with these types of palettes:

--Paint wells on both lids, mean the paint from the "top" lid will frequently drop into and contaminate the paint in the "bottom" lid when the palette is closed for travel and/or storage. A long clean-up and paint replacement process follows;
--The lids of flimsy metal palettes tend to get out of alignment with use, meaning the palette will not close completely. Paint leakage often follows.

If it were me, I'd look back in the thread for other palette recommendations for palettes that will serve satisfactorily for a long time.

Sling paint,
Virgil

MarekB
06-25-2013, 09:01 AM
thank you for your honest opinions!

indraneel
06-27-2013, 12:53 PM
The smallest one is the least flimsy. The price has increased considerably since the first one was listed (which I had bought). At the current price, I would not recommend it anymore. Better to buy a holbien.

Marcio C
06-27-2013, 02:23 PM
If you like this layout, go with the true Holbein palette, not the flimsy imitation. The Holbein's lightness and mixing space are hard to beat. As for paint on the lid wells--it is simple, just save those wells for paints that dry up fast and well, such as cerulean, viridian, the earths, etc. and you should not have a problem. (When I had a problem with leaks with my Holbein palette it was from the bottom wells, not the lid--so basically I would have had the same problem with any palette.)
Lots of plein air painters use the Holbein without a problem: Joseph Zbukvic, Thomas Schaller, Eugen Chisnicean, etc.

If price is a concern, you have many good options in plastic; the Mijelo folding palette can be found for as little as $9. There are some Frank Herring palettes that are special plastic and are very affordable.

As Virgil said, check the other threads and see what fits your needs and budget.

alexs
06-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Marek
If you continue to browse this forum, see Palette Addicts thread, then go to Posting No. 57, you will see another palette that is in the same price range as the Heung.
You can purchase this at Jacksons Art Supplies, UK, for 19 pounds, minus the VAT of 20%. You will have to pay shipping of $10.00.
I have one of these palettes and it is better than the one you are looking at now. You will also need empty plastic pans, available from Jacksons or Kremers.
The shipping is faster from Jacksons than Heung.

Alex

artdragon86
06-28-2013, 01:10 AM
I've got one of these Heung Il palettes. Bought it a few months ago, not long after they were first listed. IMHO it doesn't feel 'flimsy' exactly (but I don't have a genuine Holbein palette to compare it to) but it doesn't feel as sturdy as my half-pan metal boxes I've bought from Jacksons. The paint behaves oddly on the surface (I believe someone in another thread mentioned that if you gently rub it all over with some water and baking soda, this fixes the problem) but the main issue with mine is that when it arrived, it had been squashed and was very difficult to open (it was jammed shut). As a result it doesn't quite close smoothly, and also the enamel is cracking and flaking along the edges in a lot of places.

Since it was cheap when I bought it and I will get some use out of it I'm not fussed, but I agree that it's not worth what they're charging now. There are plenty of good quality plastic OR metal palettes out there for competitive prices. I also have one of those plastic folding Blick palettes and to be honest, I use it more than the metal one.

alansam
06-30-2013, 04:49 PM
I agree with Virgil.. why on earth do they make palettes with pans in the lid
I had to cut a layer out of mine .I was sick of paint running out . the one with the wells in the lid shown is to small.