PDA

View Full Version : Blue Majestic

davefriend
06-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Just finished this today, it is a 20"x16" acrylic on stretched canvas titled "Blue Majestic". I suspect different people may prefer to rotate it to a different orientation but I happened to like it this way so that's how I am presenting it. IRL there is more purple visible especially out to the edges.

Comments and criticisms are welcome. Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2013/538491-blue_majestic_20x16_800x639.jpg

birdhs
06-25-2013, 12:42 AM
I kept looking at it and finding all sorts of interesting imagees.

but rather than do a public display of my Rorschach Test results
I'll just let on that this really appeals to me.
No need to hear about what I saw......

The colors are balanced well, active strong mark-making, no one area is dull or garish, and I'm NOT going to rotate this.

I enjoy as it is displayed by the artist

Great piece

thanx 4 sharing this with us

greggo

davefriend
06-25-2013, 12:48 AM
I kept looking at it and finding all sorts of interesting imagees.

but rather than do a public display of my Rorschach Test results
I'll just let on that this really appeals to me.
No need to hear about what I saw......

The colors are balanced well, active strong mark-making, no one area is dull or garish, and I'm NOT going to rotate this.

I enjoy as it is displayed by the artist

Great piece

thanx 4 sharing this with us

greggoThanks greggo for the generous and positive comments. I hope later on you will share what you see in the painting! :thumbsup:

fatbrush
06-25-2013, 01:41 AM
I also see many images in this.. and my wife sees different ones too!! Ady

abstractca
06-25-2013, 09:16 AM
wow! I instantly liked this...it really draws me in, beautiful!
the colors and the lines and swirls dance so well together, great job

davefriend
06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
I also see many images in this.. and my wife sees different ones too!! AdyThanks Ady, this makes me feel good to know you are able to see into the painting in different ways!

wow! I instantly liked this...it really draws me in, beautiful!
the colors and the lines and swirls dance so well together, great job Wow, thanks abstractca! I like the dance description you used. Good the painting can connect with you :)

Jon
06-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Odd man out on this one, I see vibrant swirls of color, but no hidden images. I did search for hints of red, though. :)

davefriend
06-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Odd man out on this one, I see vibrant swirls of color, but no hidden images. I did search for hints of red, though. :)Images appear or don't ...maybe It is getting toward a purer abstraction? The red is hidden deep within some of the purple/maroons which do not come out with much strength in this photo - and subtle but more obvious IRL. Thanks JON! :D

AprilJoy
06-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Sooo many images in this! I could spend a nice chunk of time letting my eye & mind battle it out :)
Great palette, too

Katie Black
06-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Dave...Nice to be back online...(phew)

This works for me!.. colour,comp, its all there, and with great movement too!:)

davefriend
06-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Sooo many images in this! I could spend a nice chunk of time letting my eye & mind battle it out :)
Great palette, too Thanks April!

Hi Dave...Nice to be back online...(phew)

This works for me!.. colour,comp, its all there, and with great movement too!:)Welcome back Katie! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the comments too :D

harrymspitz
06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure why but when I look at this painting I see Kokoschka's The Tempest.
Not a bad tradition to evoke.

AddiesArt
06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
I see lots of profiles all looking to the left! What would rorschach say about me? :cat: Love the colors!

davefriend
06-25-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure why but when I look at this painting I see Kokoschka's The Tempest.
Not a bad tradition to evoke.So cool! - Kokoschka's created a powerful image and I'm glad mine could bring it to mind ...even though his is much better! Thanks Harry :)

I see lots of profiles all looking to the left! What would rorschach say about me? :cat: Love the colors!Yes we all run that risk sometimes LOL :D Happy you enjoy it Addie :wave:

Vasili
06-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Very interesting. Can look at this for a good, long time and see all sorts of neat things.

Well done!

davefriend
06-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Very interesting. Can look at this for a good, long time and see all sorts of neat things.

Well done!Thank you vasili! I think that is what I like about art and the human mind, different images for different people from the same source as the human brain filters the shapes and colors through its input senses, memory and individual experiences. Awesome :)

gingery
06-26-2013, 05:47 AM
It has really great energy! Makes me want to get up & dance!
Bravo!
Happy creating,
ginger

bluhunter
06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
I like the colors and the energy and the fact that it has no image.

Katie Black
06-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks April!

Welcome back Katie! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the comments too :D

Thank you for your help...I meant to say yesterday! :D

Singblue
06-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Dave this is my favorite one of your works! I love the blues and the play of warm and cool, the movement and the fresh strokes....nothing muddy. And I like it vertical just as you have it. It has a nice glow to it and yes, many things can be seen in it. Excellent.

onestrokeartist
06-27-2013, 01:31 AM
Usually, I don't quite get abstracts (sorry maybe it's the wrong term for your painting). But wow, I can also see many different images. However, the strongest one for me is smack in the middle of the painting I see a man stepping high or jogging or running, so freaking cool!

Chris

ArtyRolina
06-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Excellent, it draws you in and keeps you there, I enjoy looking at it. This orientation works for me too!

alangraham
06-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Very nice Dave. I'm finding a ton of shapes in this one. I also like how it can be rotated and viewed differently than what you intended! :)

davefriend
06-27-2013, 05:45 PM
It has really great energy! Makes me want to get up & dance!
Bravo!
Happy creating,
ginger Thanks Ginger! I was just reading the book "Inside the Painters Studio" again and read about Amy Sillman who will turn up dance music and dance when she does something good in the studio! Turning my music up now! :music::D:music: Thanks again!
I like the colors and the energy and the fact that it has no image. Cool bluhunter! :thumbsup:
Thank you for your help...I meant to say yesterday! Solutions, hard to come by but so totally necessary in the world of the internet :lol:
Dave this is my favorite one of your works! I love the blues and the play of warm and cool, the movement and the fresh strokes....nothing muddy. And I like it vertical just as you have it. It has a nice glow to it and yes, many things can be seen in it. Excellent. Singblue, that makes me happy and thanks for your generous comments. :D
Usually, I don't quite get abstracts (sorry maybe it's the wrong term for your painting). But wow, I can also see many different images. However, the strongest one for me is smack in the middle of the painting I see a man stepping high or jogging or running, so freaking cool!

Chris Thank you Chris! Love the 'freaking cool' comment. :wave:
Excellent, it draws you in and keeps you there, I enjoy looking at it. This orientation works for me too! Very glad you are liking it Rolina :)
Very nice Dave. I'm finding a ton of shapes in this one. I also like how it can be rotated and viewed differently than what you intended! Thanks Cory! :thumbsup: