PDA

View Full Version : Paper Stretcher from Bromley

cestjeffici
06-24-2013, 10:09 PM
I just got a Perfect Paper stretcher from Ken Bromley. It is easy to stretch the paper but almost impossible to get it back off the board. I've tried several different papers (140lb). The paper won't pull out of the slots, it is almaost as if it is glued in there. Any experience with this device? Any advice?

Yorky
06-25-2013, 02:06 AM
I haven't heard of that problem. I gave my board away. I don't bother stretching.

Welcome to the forum.

Doug

virgil carter
06-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Perhaps the stretcher is designed for lighter, 90 pound, paper?

Hope you can get some help from Bromley.

Sling paint,
Virgil

Roun2it
06-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Try cutting down the groove with a sharp blade/knife this should free the painting.

Saint Ragdoll
06-25-2013, 08:30 PM
No, the paper was designed to take 140lb paper as well as 90lb ..
.If you look on the Bromley site he says that sometimes the varnish used to finish the boards can cause the slots to hold ln to the paper. I think the solution is to lightly sand inside the slots so as to get rid of the excess varnish...
But, you could always check the comments about the paper stretcher on the Bromley site and email Bromley directly. They are very responsive and belpful in my experience...
I do hope hou get this resloved. I have several of Bromleys stretchers and love them!!! I rarely use any other method of stretching paper.
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

watercolourfanatic
06-26-2013, 05:14 AM
I bought one a while ago. It now gathers dust - no actually I got rid of it - and I don't bother to stretch, which I haven't for some time. Neither does Robert Wade and he paints on 140lb half sheets! Nevertheless each to his own.:cool:

Peter:)

Caroleanne
06-26-2013, 11:29 AM
I assume mine is the same as yours and has an indent on each side. I put the wrong end of a teaspoon in each indent and work the paper out on the 4 sides, then I gently pull and coax it out with a little persuasion and sweet-talking! It always surprises me how strong the paper feels but I find it works really well, and my paper doesn't buckle at all. Hope that helps...this is on 140lb paper.

Caroleanne

Flattwo
06-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi

I am using half sheets of Bockingford 140 lbs, I have never stretched watercolour paper, no need in my opinion if the paper is securely taped to a board. I use 3M all weather adhesive tape...never fails to stick!

Henry

Green Explorer
06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
I usually use making tape on a board. I got one of those stretchers for Christmas and I love painting on paper mounted on it - it's tight like a drum. But I have the same problem you have in removing the paper. I usually end up ripping it or then trimming with a knife.

Has if said all that, I still favour gummed pad of heavy paper.

cestjeffici
06-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Thank you for all the responses. I'm trying several of the proposed solutions.