PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor Masters - Self Guided Art History

Darcicat
06-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Just looking for a place to begin -

Who are the great watercolorists? Historical and contemporary? Are there any books you would recommend on the history of watercolor? Any sites you feel are particularly useful?

Darci:cat:

*Experienced oil painter, watercolor newb. Finding watercolors are 5x more difficult to learn, but way easier to take to Yosemite. I WILL learn this.*

Mayberry
06-24-2013, 06:46 PM
One resource I've found fun, casual, and very informative is on Facebook. A page called WaterMedia. It posts watercolor and gouache paintings by excellent artists throughout history, usually several paintings per day. If I notice a painting I really like, I can then look up more information on the artist.

Yorky
06-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the tip Cathy.

Doug

DaveCrow
06-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Many famous artists have painted watercolours as well as oils. Winslow Homer, Cezane, VanGogh, John Singer Sergeant all come to mind.

Darcicat
06-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Cathy - I "liked" the page! That was a great resource. Thanks :)

Dave - I ordered a few books from my library on Durer, Turner, and Sargent that were specific to their watercolors. Cezanne has always been a favorite of mine when I was studying oils, but I couldn't find a book on his watercolors.

It's funny, I've taken plenty of art history classes, but I really only remember water media being covered as part of the prepatory process. Perhaps the classes were just too long ago... But I also got a book called Watercolors from Durer to Balthus which seems like an overview of sorts. I love the library.

diamondsutra
06-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Winslow Homer .. Anders Zorn had some great watercolors ..

JudyL
06-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Turner is was and always will be my favorite.