PDA

View Full Version : a block of sorts

surreal
09-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Hi All~

I have been extremely creative lately - drawing constantly!

But, I have a block against painting with acrylic on canvas.

I am thinking that I should force myself to work in my studio at an acrylic painting in progress, for about 15 minutes per day.

I have hypothesized for the reasons for this block and have come up with some very personal ones.

Do you think that perhaps I should just wait it out and continue drawing - maybe do gouaches on paper, now and then?

Or should I discipline myself (by conditioning, sort of) by spending at least 15 minutes per day in my studio working at the acrylic painting???

Thanks, if you care to comment.

arriviste
09-13-2003, 02:18 PM
I get hung up this way, too. Here are a few things that I do that have kick-started me.
I try to make sure that I have more than one prepared surface at a time. Scarcity makes me stingy with my gear, even though I can replace it all. The act of preparation itself stirs me.
Condition myself, like you mentioned. Discipline. :)
Gouache sounds good, too. I'll sketch with pastel, w/c or ink & brush when I need to loosen up. Waste a bunch of cheap chalks on some newprint! Draw B I G.
For all I know, you could already be doing these things. I like your inks and hope you can get around this block.

surreal
09-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Thanks very much for your feedback, Beatrice!!!

It is very helpful.

It's a type of postive reinforcement for me.
:)

erik_satie_rolls
09-13-2003, 04:40 PM
Nina,

How is the drawing? Are you satisfied with the way it's progressing? That may help you make your decision.

Sometimes adding tension, as in forcing yourself through a block, is needed.

Sometimes less tension is needed.

hope this helps

Dan

surreal
09-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Hi Dan,
I usually thoroughly enjoy whatever I am drawing!!!

I just spent 45 minutes embroiled in working on my acrylic painting.

Perhaps I have broken thru a barrier this afternoon.

I hope so!

Thank you very much.

Keith Russell
09-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Nina, glad to hear that you're going for it!

Was there any particular reason you were resisting acrylic painting, or this particular painting...?

(Don't feel that you have to answer...just curious. Personally, I'd almost always rather paint than draw, but drawing is essential to good painting, at least for me...so I do it, but I don't usually enjoy it.)

K

DanaT
09-13-2003, 07:01 PM
Looks like you were successful. Good for you!

surreal
09-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Keith Russell
Nina, glad to hear that you're going for it!

Was there any particular reason you were resisting acrylic painting, or this particular painting...
K
Hi Keith,
There may be a very personal reason for my resisting acrylic painting (if I know myself as well as I think ;)).

I think I was resisting this particular painting lest I fail to achieve the desired result.

Hi Dana,
Thank you!!!

Stoy Jones
09-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by surreal

I think I was resisting this particular painting lest I fail to achieve the desired result.

I run into that as well. Its like juggling, but I try to keep a few projects running at once to bounce around should "resistance" set in on one. I keep a list of projects and let that intuition or inspiration choose. This also can be bad, since I have a couple that needs completion and so far they are gathering dust...maybe someday.

Stoy

surreal
09-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Stoy Jones

I run into that as well. Its like juggling, but I try to keep a few projects running at once to bounce around should "resistance" set in on one.
Stoy

Thanks, Stoy!
I try to do the same.
I think it is a good strategy!
:D

Keith Russell
09-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Working on several things at once can be a great way to stay 'fresh', but it can also be a curse, when it seems like everything keeps moving forward, but nothing ever is completed...

...lol.

K