PDA

View Full Version : The Boreal Chorus Sketchbook

ElleZee
06-24-2013, 12:08 AM
This is my first art journaling effort. I've always wanted to keep a journal, but thought of it more as a writing format, not as a daily sketch format. I'm not a writer and therefore after the first couple entries I usually lost momentum. I'm hoping this method will make things different.

This art journal will contain only things that happen in my own yard. We live on 5 acres of property and have all kinds of wildlife, plants, insects, people, pets and seasonal events that should be fun to record this way.

This is a 9"x12" Strathmore Bristol 100lb, sprial bound sketchbook.

And here is my first page

D'Lady
06-24-2013, 01:28 AM
You're off to an awesome start. :)

vhere
06-24-2013, 03:07 AM
A lovely idea

Finvarra
06-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Lovely first page - look forward to seeing more.

Cheers
Lesley

ElleZee
06-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Thank you D'Lady and vhere!

Lesley - Thank you and me too!! LOL! I just pray not to loose steam, but I'm hoping the way I've approached it even if I do a page a week (work maybe 10 or 15 minutes a night) I will see results for a year's worth of events around my studio...which I think would be an enjoyable peak into my art and life.

I don't know if this book will stand up to acrylic paint.....I guess we'll see! :)

Green Explorer
06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Beautiful work - so interesting to see the words alongside the pictures.

DrDebby
06-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Beautiful start. Welcome to Art Journal forum. Looking forward to seeing more.

Paulafv
06-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Great beginning. Lovely flowers and the sun, clouds and falling rain drops is a very nice touch:) Good luck.

Joan T
06-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Wonderful start! I like the way you composed the page with the two bordered areas, the writing and the weather up top. Way to go!!!

eyepaint
06-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Great start!

Marmsk
07-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Love this and look forward to more.

pezk
07-06-2013, 07:52 AM
I like the way you've included all the weather info etc. it makes it so personal to know what was happening at that moment. Your sketches are good, the drawings too.
Do you like that paper for the kind of sketching you're doing? Any drawbacks?
What about the response of the paper to the watercolor?
Very nice.

ElleZee
07-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Thank you for all the lovely compliments and comments Tom, Debby, Paulafv, Joan T, EP, Eileen and Pat K!

Pat - The paper is very nice for pencil and colour pencil, uni-ball and micron type pens. Water-colour did cause a bit of paper buckling and my sharpie markers have penetrated through a bit. I will do more water-colour, but I'll be careful with the sharpies. :)

Here's my next instalment....I never claimed to be a speedy journaler!! LOL. I started this page on the 26th of June and only just finished it this morning. Water-colour is NOT my medium, but in the spirit of exploration and play I've decided to give it try. I'm usually an oil pastel, colour pencils or acrylic gal.

Thanks for stopping by!

DrDebby
07-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Wonderful page. Yup, journals are definitely for play time. :)

robertsloan2
07-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Wow! You made a great start with the first two pages. Don't worry about speed, you've obviously got beauty and elegant page layout going for you. Maybe put the dates on last when you finish a page so that you know when you ended it.

Watercolors came out great. Watercolor pencil was one of the ways I eased myself from colored pencils into doing watercolor, it's still easier sometimes. I love the gorgeous greens you mixed, the sheer variety of good greens in that joyous summer scene. Well done!

ElleZee
07-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks Debby! Yes, I'm feeling like I have more permission to experiment, wreck, ruin or flub in the journal. If I don't like a page I could always gesso over it and begin again....but it's fun to see the mistakes too.

Great idea Robert with the end date....I will incorporate that for future. I draw and doodle for a number of days on the page...perhaps I'll try and include all of that, not just the start date. Honestly, I'd be happy with a page a week. That's my goal anyway. With the size of the journal it should take me approx. a year.

onehanded
07-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Hello Lori Z I am just trying to start an art journal. I only have the use of one hand so that is sometimes a handicap. I have been gessoing the pages and find that sharpies don't bleed thru. My funds are limited so I'm always looking for a thrifty way to do something. Your work is beautiful. My best.
Onehanded

RainySea
07-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Hello and welcome. . .

I love how you combined elements of zentangle with your artwork in the first page. The text and borders are beautiful as are the scenes. LOVE the weather info and tie in borders designs. The whole page has a lovely coherence. Is that ink with colored pencil?

I've used the Strathmore Visual journals often and if you are going to use a variety of media, including wet media, the multimedia version is awesome.

Like you, I found watercolor a bit daunting at first but kept at it and now have a pretty good hang of it although far from a master!! Its fun though, so hope you will continue to play with it. I like your landscape scene.

Like you I live in a rural area on acres with lots of animals around.

Look forward to me. Have a good day.

ElleZee
07-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi Onehanded!! Great to meet up with you! Good idea with applying gesso to the pages first! I will definitely give that a try!! I'm not that big a gesso fan in my acrylic work (find it too gritty) but I'm beginning develop more and more uses for it...so it's worth having on hand. :)

Hi RainySea!! Thanks for all the kind words! I'll keep my eye open for the multimedia version, then...sounds like it'd be exactly what I'm after.

Yep, that's ink with coloured pencil (actually watercolour pencil, but I never added the water....decided I liked it as it was). I seem to be a supply hoarder and have decided once and for all to use some of them!!! So this journal will be a mish-mash of techniques and mediums. LOL!

BTW, love your BT's!!! They are gorgeous!! <3

Joan T
07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Nice mixed media approach on this last one. Like Robert said, don't worry about speed. The goal is to create. Good job!

retiretopaint
07-20-2013, 10:42 AM
WOW! I wish I allowed myself the time to 'art' journal! Like you I am an supply and book hoarder - guess I think if I have the tools I'll be an artist!LOL!

mhimeswc
07-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Nice start to your journal. I love the way you designed that first spread.