PDA

View Full Version : Art History Puzzle

lobsterpot
06-23-2013, 05:55 AM
This is digital puzzle for art history buffs on the list. What is the "historical" connection between the objects in this piece? Try it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2013/1144347-baldymaggred.jpg

Eraethil
06-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Rene Magritte - The Banquet, Son of Man, himself, and I'm not sure which other images related to him. Or is there more to it?

lobsterpot
06-23-2013, 01:49 PM
You got half of the puzzle but must relate it to the other half--think hard!

It seems we're getting no help from other listees--something I feared.

ArtyRolina
06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Baldessari was influenced by Magritte?

lobsterpot
06-24-2013, 05:55 AM
Rolina--yes, but there's more to it. I'll post "answer" tomorrow. (Having trouble posting this note).

Jody Schmidt
06-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Oooh! Fun!

Overall composition: Mondrian
Upper left: Magritte (with double apple)
Upper right: ??? Photo of Magritte?
Lower right: Klein (or one of those who did solid color canvas with a single dot or mark on it)

Connection? No clue at the moment. Will get back on this.

harrymspitz
06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Margritte covered faces with apples while Baldessari covers faces with colored circles.

lobsterpot
06-24-2013, 02:14 PM
BOING! Come on down Harry--you got it!

Everyone--that's it, I became curious as to where Baldessari got the idea for his circles, went to the local college and got his Catalogue Raissonne and found the reference to Margritte's green apples. (And other pieces from the Frenchman that B. used) Baldessari began using supermarket price stickers to cover faces in his prints then went digital with the idea. Proving, at least to my mind, art is just one long, long line of artists merrily stealing from one another!

FYI-- Mr. Baldessari is still working at 82 y.o. but is nearly impossible to reach though I tried to get in touch with him to get something for Harry.

I'll get a harder one for you next time Harry! ;-)