PDA

View Full Version : what's your longest WIP?

kenhuskey
06-22-2013, 09:30 PM
I started this watercolor in Frankfurt Germany 1987. It's traveled with me to Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Florida twice. Trying to get up the courage to finish it. It is on Arches 190 lb cold press with Winsor Newton paint. Amazingly the colors are still vibrant after all this time. It's lastedhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2013/1241055-001.jpg better than the Zippclamp that still holds it. I found all my old brushes still in good shape, and surprisingly, the package of 25 year old paper is still bright white.

Cyntada
06-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Welcome, kenhuskey! I used to have a painting sitting unfinished from my teen years, although I haven't seen it in a long time and may have lost it along the road somewhere. My Dad took me to see a space shuttle landing late in 1985 and took some great pictures. I was painting one of them when the shuttle Challenger exploded on takeoff in Jan 1986. I was a big fan of the shuttle program and just didn't have the heart to finish the painting after that. Made me too sad. I'd finish it now if I could find it though. (How I could lose track of a full sheet of watercolor paper is beyond me... too much stuff! :D)

You've got a fabulous start to this painting, and obviously purchased good materials back in the day, since they're still looking good after all this time. (That doesn't surprise me, since Arches is 100% cotton rag paper.) If you now have dried-up tubes of paint, cut the tubes open, add water and use them. They've just turned into pans for you, the paint itself will be perfectly fine.

I wish you some courage to finish this!

kenhuskey
06-22-2013, 10:52 PM
I purchased everything through Dick Blick back then.. They were the only company that shipped to APO's at the time. The only thing that didn't survive was my drafting table. I wish I could remember the place in the picture, it was a boathouse on the Konigsee I think. A beautiful little church only accessible by boat was on the backside of the lake.

Yorky
06-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Hi Ken, a wanderful paing well worth completing. Welcome to the forum. Have lots of unfinished paintings but none that old.

Doug

pjartwc
06-23-2013, 04:41 AM
Hi Ken - Welcome to the forum. Oh, you have to finish this one. It is so well done. Usually if I put something aside, it means I'm not happy with it, and it stays that way until I throw it out.

painterbear
06-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Hi Ken,
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum!

Wow, I think you may win this little "contest" for longest WIP easily. :D

I agree with the others that it needs to be finished. You are almost there and it is lovely, much nicer colors than in the reference photo. :D

I too carted watercolor paints and paper around for many, many years before starting to paint again once my DH retired from the AF. I was pleasantly surprised to find they were still usable and didn't suffer from their years in storage.

Now it is time for you to get those paints wet again and finish your WIP so you can show it off in the Gallery. ;)

Sylvia

LynnM
06-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Beautiful start, Ken, and welcome! I'll look forward to seeing the finish.

birdhs
06-23-2013, 03:11 PM
I have a few oils approaching the 5 year mark, but that seems to be nothing in this crowd!

Your painting looks well worth finishing, thanx for sharing with us

greggo

scribblet
06-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Looks good to me, you should finish it. Question, I see Arches 140# and 300# but have never seen 190 # paper. Is it only available in Europe ?

kenhuskey
06-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Looks good to me, you should finish it. Question, I see Arches 140# and 300# but have never seen 190 # paper. Is it only available in Europe ?

Sorry, I didn't realize the typo. It should read 140#.

scribblet
06-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Okay, thanks, I was a bit excited there for a minute <grin>