PDA

View Full Version : Did 2 pieces today.

thevaliantx
06-22-2013, 07:56 PM
I intended to lay down and take a nap before going to work, but the darn OP's followed me. One is of a balloon (it's deflated IRL) and the ceiling fan lamp string hanging behind it. The other piece is of the dresser on the other side of the room.

Same old crappy canvas boards. I say that because the surface on these things that I bought last year at wholesaleframes.com or something like that have really uneven surfaces. I'm dragging the Holbein across the surface with equal pressure, and well ... you can see where the bumps are. I blended with a washcloth.

I forgot to put in the knot where the string is attached.

"Step right up, kids, and watch the clown tie the knot-less balloon!".

Lostjedi
06-22-2013, 09:23 PM
The ballons are a neat subject choice. I like it. The canvas gives it an impressionist look.

Mikenoss
06-23-2013, 12:38 AM
FWIW I think you are on the right track. Keep sketching until you get the feel of the OPs properly and YOU can decide when to move forwards to the layering and blending stages. The balloon is coming along with the shading and don't forget that you can use oil based pencils when touching up small areas like knots. (Would be a good clown to have a knotless blown up balloon :D ).

Flycatcher10
06-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi TVX, I like your sketches.

The balloon piece especially has an almost impressionist feel about it. Nice work on the balloon shadow, it also shows good round form - so your use of colors to achieve that worked very well in this case. I also like the ceiling lamp string and shadows. In this case the white blotches from the paper works to advance the interest in this piece. Nice work :clap: !!

The chest of drawers work for a real nice sketch - nice work on the handles and scope of the subject. The back of the drawer is slightly tilted upward - consider putting a lighter colors as it progresses toward the back so the back doesn't tilt up. If you know understand what I mean, the side lines going to the back won't be the same darkness as those in front (the values will be different). It's all in how to paint perspective from the viewers position.

I agree with Graham, go with the sketches to get a feel for how the oil pastels feel and perform. I like seeing your sketches.

Our objective is to help you. Your questions foster answers, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need to tackle every single nuance of painting with oil pastels in your first 90 days. You're making progress and that's what counts. :thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
06-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Yes, Tom, definitely making progress. I really like the balloon and it's shadow. The colors work well and I like the texture. It seems as if you have more OP on this piece than on the bureau. I agree, keep at it as you are doing great.

Pat

RainySea
06-23-2013, 05:32 PM
I like the hanging balloon. . . its has nice form and I like the glow and shadows/depth behind the objects.

thevaliantx
06-23-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm definitely going to gesso the things (Wilson Bickford's black gesso, maybe?). If I use watercolor or acrylic to fill in the background I'll just end up painting with those. :lol:

lorigina
06-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Hi TVX. Your balloon painting looks good. Composition is good, shadows and color work well too.