PDA

View Full Version : Two Girls

Thumper
06-25-2001, 12:01 AM
This soft pastel is a little over 18 x 20. I love everybody's works here, and I thought that I might add my own, of what I like to think characterizes a significant aspect of elementary school life :)
I realize that the size of the heads may look off, but although they are both in 5th grade, the girl on the left is 'bigger' than the girl on the left who is just very petite. Enjoy :)
Jocelyn
http://www.bocchino.org/user/jbocchino/Art/Finished%20Pieces/Corinne%20and%20Maddie%20Final.jpg

JeanineJ
06-26-2001, 07:45 AM
Wonderful composition! I especially love the delight you captured in the larger gal's expression... Great paintings go beyond rendering to tell a story... This is great!

sandge
06-27-2001, 09:15 PM
Great job! I love that there is a depth to the subject - it seems to have a story, something is going on.

Although you have said the scale of some things is a bit off, this doesn't bother me. The intensity with which it is rendered gives it a sort of fantastical feeling which lets you get away with this, I think.

The only thing that really bothers me is the mauve, purple of the blonde girl's clothing. You have done such a great job with the hand (a thing most find difficult) but seem not to have given this area the same care.

Otherwise a terrific job! :D

Thumper
06-29-2001, 12:37 AM
You bring up a very good point. . .it's just kind of, there. A large purple blob, I had asked my art teacher whether or not I should define it or just leave it alone and he had replied that I should go ahead and leave it alone, but now that I have it back. . . I think I'll take out that trusty pastel box, and refine it more.
The thumb gave me a lot of trouble when I was doing this. . . and I'm glad that it turned out well. Thanks,
Jocelyn

mclaughlin
07-03-2001, 04:27 AM
to me it is fresh and full of expression. You really put life into your picture. My taste always looks for that in a picture.
In a Museumsroom full of Portraits there is sometimes one which seems to follow you with its eyes...I love it.

Thumper
07-03-2001, 03:04 PM
Thank you, This was my first attempt to do pastel, along with my first attempt at capturing the spirit of a person. I am glad I was able to do so successfully :)
Jocelyn

wendee
07-03-2001, 10:58 PM
this is really lovely..:D :D :D