PDA

View Full Version : Got Willies?

Undergoose
06-22-2013, 09:35 AM
I might have a small problem...I pulled out my soft pastels the other day and played with them a little bit.

Not sure when it developed, but I'm getting this almost debilitating case of the heebie jeebies when I rub the pastels on the paper.

I think it's the noise; for some people it's fingernails on a chalkboard, or the squeak of a fork slid just right on a china plate. For my mom, it's two pieces of stryrofoam being rubbed together. Most people have something that will set them off.

When I hear and feel the dry pastel kind of scrape-screeching across a dry piece of paper, I get a nasty shudder, a wave of goose bumps and a feeling in my mouth like my teeth are trying to grow fur. Even just talking or thinking about it makes it happen.

What is that phenomenon? Is it something mental that I can overcome or is it some kind of physical reaction to the sound?

CharM
06-22-2013, 09:44 AM
:lol: You're asking the wrong people here in this Forum, Karl. My advice? Paint in watercolour! :lol:

Undergoose
06-22-2013, 10:06 AM
:lol: You're asking the wrong people here in this Forum, Karl. My advice? Paint in watercolour! :lol:

LOL! Good point, although the pastels are just highlights over the top of watercolor underpainting. I should probably try over in mixed media or pastels, though.

Maybe I had some ancestors involved in some sort of mortal feud with the neighboring Pastels. I can see my noble yet barbaric pastfathers brandishing Braveheart-scale blenders, laying waste to all around them, covered in the sepia and sanguine dusts of their enemies before finally being overrun by the innumerable hordes led by the dread Lord of Castle Chalkenstein.

You can take our lives, but you'll NOT take our PAPERS!! :rolleyes:

painterbear
06-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Karl,
I understand that feeling completely....that's why I never was interested in painting with pastels, although I love seeing beautiful works others do with them.

Even as a teacher, I didn't enjoy using chalk to write on the blackboard, but at least it had a smooth finish which pastels don't (I know some have paper around them, but I don't like the sound (like you) or the dust from them which you wind up breathing.

So, I think it is a textual thing...some people can stand the feel of dry stuff on their fingers, others can't. ;)

Sylvia

Mayberry
06-22-2013, 01:02 PM
I get the same thing with pastels and charcoal, even conte crayon. I get the heebie-jeebies. It's the sound, it's the scraping feeling, it's the powdery feel. Whenever I use it (very limited use) I have to wash my hands every couple minutes to be able to stand it.

Undergoose
06-22-2013, 01:52 PM
I just tried blaring the music in my headphones while working with it. It helps some. Using a stump to blend still makes my skin crawl, though, just the feeling, even not being able to hear it. Blech.

I'm going to try to ignore it and sally forth. Maybe I'll desensitize...

FLNH
06-22-2013, 02:46 PM
When the Universe speaks,ignore it at your peril.

painterbear
06-22-2013, 03:02 PM
When the Universe speaks,ignore it at your peril.

Ohhhh, I like that, Karl! :angel:

Sylvia

WthrLady
06-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Dust, dirty fingers....twitch twitch twitch

Saint Ragdoll
06-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Caryln,
Exactly!!!!! Twitch, twitch.....running off to wash my hands just thinking about it!!!!!!!

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

artdragon86
06-23-2013, 05:05 AM
I had a similar problem with some of the Derwent pencils, particularly Coloursoft and Inktense. For some reason the scratchy noise of those reminded me of that nails on chalkboard sound. I haven't had that issue with pastels, though. Then again I mainly prefer watercolours and acrylics anyway.

olliewood0702
06-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Yup, pastels make me shudder when I glide them across paper too. With my asthma I don't use them often because of the dust but I do like how they look and work; just NOT the feeling of using them.:rolleyes: :confused: I don't think I'll ever get over it though.

Starsprite
06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
I would just get rid of the suckers and not use them if it were me! I get the shivers and heebie jeebies from thinking about biting on the sharpened wood part of a pencil. Oh the chills that run down my spine.... I don't like chalky stuff so couldn't handle the chalky pastels, maybe the oils would be okay, if they didn't squeak much.

Undergoose
06-23-2013, 07:52 PM
I would just get rid of the suckers and not use them if it were me! I get the shivers and heebie jeebies from thinking about biting on the sharpened wood part of a pencil. Oh the chills that run down my spine.... I don't like chalky stuff so couldn't handle the chalky pastels, maybe the oils would be okay, if they didn't squeak much.

lol...I get the same thing thinking about chewing on polyester yarn. Something about that squeaky between the teeth...Gah!

Nice to know I'm not the only weirdo around here. :p

villagernb
06-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Karl, try wearing earplugs when you use your pastels.

Cheers, Anne

JudyL
06-29-2013, 09:11 PM
I agree with y'all, pastels give me the willies, and messy. Earplugs I guess, and gloves?

Superturtle
06-30-2013, 12:57 PM
I get the same feeling when I use conte on newsprint. Argh, I can even hear the sound in my head now!