PDA

View Full Version : Wooo! Good things happen, too!

Undergoose
06-21-2013, 06:42 PM
So, with all the wonky stuff I've been posting about re: customer service/quality control lately, I figure I better throw in the occasional good thing, too. ;)

This morning at A.C. Moore, I went in for a watersol graphite pencil and came out with the pencil and 35 Cotman brushes.

They stopped selling Cotman a month or two ago (not enough sales at list price, go figure...) and they marked the entire display at 1/2 price, then dumped it into the scratch and dent box, which is where I've been watching them get slowly destroyed by the flower-pot painting pre teens who come in and mishandle them for the past 6 weeks.

Well, they weren't selling (1/2 price on Cotmans is still pretty high), so they finally went through and marked a ton of them down to $2.50 on the stickers, and on all of them in the actual system.

This weekend they've also got some sort of sidewalk thing that's 1/2 off of any yellow and red clearance items, so I very quietly scooped up 35 brushes at $1.25 each. I think I'll probably go back and get the rest of them, now that I've used a couple of them.

The only Cotmans I had prior were the two big flat wash brushes. I'm very impressed with their rounds, and they come as close to Kolinsky as any synthetic I've tried thus far (which is still miles away from a good natural bristle). At any rate, they're really nice brushes, and I'll probably grab some more to chop the tails off of and put in my travel kits.

Here's my loot, it was nice to discover a little treasure chest this morning!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2013/1234321-cotman.jpg

janinco
06-21-2013, 07:10 PM
How fun! I love the oval wash/cat tongue brushes.

Jan

Saint Ragdoll
06-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Thats amazing!! Good for you!
You know, I ought a unch of travel brushes, synthetics, cotmans too and Now I found out why I quitusing any synthetic....on the rounds, on that fine needle point looking very close at the ends of the hairs, the very very ends turn over forming a hook shape. Of course, this makes using that brush's fine point useless.
Have you had this happen to your synthetic rounds?

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Undergoose
06-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Yup, I get the same thing with most of mine. I've noticed that with some papers, painting with the tip over washes and wet areas, the little hooks will gather up a little ball of fibers that really messes things up until you pick it off the brush. When they get to that point, they become utility brushes in the drawer for me.

I actually have one hooky-point brush that I use only for surgically removing the stray, really fine and 'floaty' dog hairx that Bones deposits on my working paper sometimes. It's helped me save some washes, definitely a unique little 'tool' that snags 'em right out like it's made of velcro. :P

Thats amazing!! Good for you!
You know, I ought a unch of travel brushes, synthetics, cotmans too and Now I found out why I quitusing any synthetic....on the rounds, on that fine needle point looking very close at the ends of the hairs, the very very ends turn over forming a hook shape. Of course, this makes using that brush's fine point useless.
Have you had this happen to your synthetic rounds?

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Yorky
06-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Lucky blighter! I have several Cotman brushes and they are great for detail work.

PS You are going to have a job removing all the stickers. I got some "Goo-Gone" recently, I hope that will remove the adhesive.

Doug

pjartwc
06-22-2013, 03:33 AM
Sounds like a good buy!

virgil carter
06-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Karl, you are hooked--an equipment junky! Get thee to a nunnery, while you may still do so.

Sling rehab,
Virgil

Undergoose
06-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Karl, you are hooked--an equipment junky! Get thee to a nunnery, while you may still do so.

Sling rehab,
Virgil

They threw me out of the last nunnery for complaining about quality control, snacking on communion wafers and trying to pick up too many habits. ;)

If it's any consolation, I had to spend the better portion of a couple hours picking off the UPC stickers and cleaning the gooeys off. Hooray for cheap stickers!

CharM
06-22-2013, 09:45 AM
I like those clear handled flats...

You have way too much *stuff*!!! :lol: Good buy, though... What a stroke of good luck.

Now... sling paint ala Virgil!

StewGold
06-23-2013, 05:49 AM
Well done, I got a lot of Cotmans in packs from a local discount chain at $1.60, 1, for 10 mixed brushes. I might have bought 50 packs over six weeks There was anything and everything up to No.20's plus some Dick Blick Sables ( Horrible ones ) Stratford and Yorks and SAA silvers.And enough Testors 4/0 and 5/0's to last a lifetime. Plus a mugfull of strange haired floppy moppy brushes.

However "Get thee to a nunnery" is a horrible Shakespearian insult. It's not suggesting you go to a Convent, but that you are so bad, you're the lowest of all whores and would be chained to the illegal brothel, till you died.

Oh and that's where "Sold/Sent south of the river" comes from as well. In London at the time all the brothels and prisons ( Including the "Clink" ) were South of the Thames. The king ran the prisons, but the church ran the brothels. The "Ladies" had fixed hours, health care, the right to refuse clients, Sundays off to go to church, paid when ill so they didn't pass on anything, and made the church a fortune.

Getting the goo off, I find an olde fashioned ink rubber/eraser works surprisingly well.

Have Fun, Leslie

olliewood0702
06-23-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm with Char, I too love those clear chisel handled flats. They are super brushes! Congratulations on your loot.

Undergoose
06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
... However "Get thee to a nunnery" is a horrible Shakespearian insult. It's not suggesting you go to a Convent, but that you are so bad, you're the lowest of all whores and would be chained to the illegal brothel, till you died.

Yeah, I'm familiar the interpretation, and it's actually become a pretty nasty modern-day dig, but I chose to go the other direction and find the humor, which is what I'm assuming Virgil's original intent was. ;)

I've actually used it a couple of times without the humorous intent. Most of the time, the Philistines laugh...anyone that I say that sort of thing to isn't well-read enough to get it. Chaucer was another master of the hidden barb; I like him even more than old Billy. :p

I finally got all the stickers off and the goo cleaned off with some OMS. Hoorah!

doug105
06-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Great Score!!!!!

Now tell us........how many brushes do you have!

DougN

virgil carter
06-23-2013, 06:19 PM
My apologies--only humor intended. No offense meant.

Sling it,
Virgil

JudyL
06-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Oh can't resist a good sale and art supplies :clap: even better.

StewGold, I LOVE trivia, we want more!