PDA

View Full Version : Turn for Home

gebhm
06-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Water based Oil 20 X 24 from a picture on the internet. Six 4 hour sessions and this is where I am at. The little ponds in this picture look like they are hovering over the land but in the painting do not look that way. The small clouds in front of the main line look better in the painting then this picture shows.

Any and all comments and sugestions would be very helpful!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2013/899862-Turn_for_home.jpg

Trumper
06-22-2013, 06:47 AM
:) Aircraft are lovely but the ground looks a bit regimented and flat ,not sure what could be done to give the ground a more 3d effect.
Maybe the ground is too well defined and sharp.
Hopefully someone else can add to these thoughts and advise.

Wassie
06-22-2013, 12:03 PM
The planes are great. I've seen the land laid out like that from an airplane. Maye the rectangles should be less sharp. They compete with the planes. I barely saw the lower plane.
Did you mean for the clouds to form a sharp corner under the big plane? It doesn't look right.
Do you have a ref photo we could see?

Dana Design
06-23-2013, 10:02 AM
It's the squared off cloud at the bottom of the green plane that seems 'off', as Wassie has said. Were that to be softened and repainted, I think you'd have a very successful piece.

I take it you like those old planes!

gebhm
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
The clouds definately will be rounded off. I am not sure of the final shape I want them but the point is the farthest they wil come down. The lowest aircraft should blend into the landscape since they are painted in a maner that is to make them hard to spot from above. While the Germans got flamboyant with the paint later in the war initialy they were not. I like planes in general my whole life has been aviation. That is not all I want to paint or will paint, but I figured it was easier to start with what I know.

Jon
07-02-2013, 05:14 PM
You have a good eye for aircraft, have you visited the Aviation Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=602)?

gebhm
07-02-2013, 05:26 PM
No I guess I should though. My Father is a retired Air Force Pilot and test pilot for Teledyne Continental Aircraft Engines. So I have been around aviation my entire life. I am still involved in it professionaly.

InTheWoods
07-05-2013, 12:43 AM
The planes are so excellent - the perspective, shadows, propellar, colors, are just so great. I really like the background earth. But there is something about the sky (color?) and the curvature of the clouds in it, are the planes that high up? perhaps tone the sky color down. I liked how you wrote how much time it took you so far.

gebhm
07-07-2013, 10:17 PM
The sky is actually bluer in real life. The camera flash whited it out. Good catch on the cureved cloud tops! it does make them look like they are at flight level 510 versus 6 to 10 thousand. Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate them.