PDA

View Full Version : ***Daily Wash Friday 21st June 2013 **

Allan Jameson
06-20-2013, 09:58 PM
G'day g'day to all
A wet and cold day here about 16oc well it is winter.
Kev... I would love to see you when you are here in Brisbane next month, I shall get in touch with JJ and see what her plans are.
Everything is quite good in my life at the moment just taking each day as it comes.
cheers Allan

shipbroker
06-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Morning Allan. and all following.

Nice that you will be able to see Kev And Chris.

Caravan hitch is going to be tried later as going to a small rally in Bedale just till Sunday afternoon......hurrah!

Not raining yet but still dark.

geoff

Lulu
06-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Hi Allan, so pleased that you are feeling better, and very pleased that you should get to see Kev and Chris too.

Good that you'll be able to get away soon Geoff.

Freezing cold here, the winds are making it feel a lot less than the current 12C. There's a storm raging further south, worse than the Wahine storm (Allan & JJ will know what I mean). Flights and sailings from Wellington have been cancelled.

Doug, please tell Ruth that we have been wearing our aran sweaters today, and will be again tomorrow as we travel south to snow country. Feeling toasty warm in them too :thumbsup:
The thought did pass through my mind though, wondering what the temperature would need to get down to for Ellen to need to wear a thick aran sweater.......:)

Yorky
06-21-2013, 01:19 AM
Good morning all.

Good to see you Allan, glad you are feeling better.

Hi Geoff, hope the hitch is Ok and you can resume your travels with the caravan.

Hi Lulu, glad to hear you are using your Aran sweaters. Hope the weather doesn't interfere with your travel plans.

Dull here, totally overcast.

PS nearly 8 am now and we have tinges of blue in the cloud cover, 16C.

Doug

Roun2it
06-21-2013, 02:54 AM
Mornin' each ....... :wave:

Nice to see you Allan and great to hear that you are up for a visit. Even if you can't make the day we meet JJ and Annie we are in Brisbane for 2 weeks so I'm sure we can fit something in.

Geoff glad to hear that you and the 'van are mobile again. Have a great time.

Lulu I'm looking through the drawers for Aaron sweaters, I remember that Chris knitted a nice thick sweater before we got married, it grew and grew and by the time she finished it we could have made a tent out of it.. :lol:

Weather here for next few days is dull and then getting into rain, pretty heavy at that too. Then they wonder why Brits travel during the summer.

doppler
06-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Good evening all.

It would be good to have the mini meet Alan.

Lulu,of nutty but successful emails :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kev, looking forward to a time..

BTW, the BOM forecaster this morning (Bureau of Meteorology) said today would be downright miserable weather wise He was right? A lad from the North country. Rain, not heavy but constant, mist or fog or cloud whatever. positive pea souper on the way to Samford from the great provisioning.

Bo has found the love of his life. :heart: The fire. Loki has curled up in the up draught and my awful aqua thick cheap jumper I bought in a moment of madness is cuddling her nicely. It is a cats garment now.

BBL maybe

ScarletLake
06-21-2013, 04:22 AM
:wave: :wave: Hi Everyone:wave: :wave:

Well it's Friday again ---seems like the weeks are just flying by!!!

Took my Dad out to Red Lobster for his 81st birthday yesterday before my shift at the art museum. He told everyone that he was 18. LOL

Evening shift at the museum went well last night. SHE was not there. :lol: :lol:

We have a new exhibit of Andy Warhol silkscreens (have not seen it yet) but lots of books on Warhol in the museum store. I looked through one last night - more of the history of Andy Warhol. It was GREAT. I may pick that one up.

Just read that the town next to me is opening a new coffee shop. I will certainly check it out. It is on my way to the nursing home. :cat: :cat:

I hear that we are in for a treat with the Large Moon this weekend. Should be really pretty.

Oh I just shudder at the thought of winter weather. I'm so much more a summer person.

We are starting our inside house painting this weekend:eek: :eek: but for today I shall enjoy Friday with coffee shop, visiting art friends etc. :cat: :cat:

Henry --glad that is over for Leslie. Will be keeping you both in my thoughts

Kev --what a great trip ahead for you both.

Darla--hope your knee gets to feeling better. A Happy Birthday to your daughter. I know I can't believe that my boys are 28 and 24 yo. Worse I can't believe that I'm 54 yo:eek: :eek:

Carly -- pics were great. I love the little post office.

Well it is 4:30 AM and I think I'll try going back to bed so everyone have a great day

Anita

laudesan
06-21-2013, 04:39 AM
Allan is right... it is nippy here.. 13 degrees according to my phone, for Seven Hills.

I had a delightful lunch with the girls today, and on impulse called into Zellow's luggage store on the way out of the shopping centre, and found the perfect leather satchel. I can carry my Ultrabook, and my plein aire kit in it, and it is not at all big nor intrusive. Yay!!!

On the way home I stopped in some street, that had interesting houses and tried to sketch one. Man I suck at architectural stuff. I need to do a proper workshop and find out the tips and tricks.... I really want to get into drawing buildings too.

I have chicken marylands baking int he oven and the buzzer just went off for half time check.

Later...................... :wave:

Lulu
06-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Lulu,of nutty but successful emails :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know, Annie, isn't it crazy! but I thought I'd just ask.......:lol: Oh what fun!
You won't need any aran sweater there Kev! :D

JJ, when I first started drawing I used to do houses/barns all the time. In fact I was so long on the side of the road (in the car sketching), that someone stopped and asked if I was okay! Sold a lot of sketches at the time, (one was even printed in a book!), now I don't think I'd know how, my brain is so full of portraiture.

I'm a summer person too Anita! but I have to say that I do like changing seasons, there's something about hunkering down in the winter.
Where the family live the temperatures are up in the high 40's now, not sure I could cope with that.:eek: They're off to Europe for their summer holidays.

Doug, we've decided to wait until the storm has passed, and are now driving south on Sunday. Sounds as if it's going to be fine so hoping for some good photos.

Better go and clean up the kitchen. Skyped the family for quite a while, then have been speaking to another sister on the phone for about an hour, and it won't be long till it's bedtime.

Have a good weekend everyone:wave:

painterbear
06-21-2013, 06:36 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just 6:30 a.m. on a nice, cool morning here in Oakwood. Windows open catching the morning air. :D

Had a nice garden salad for dinner last night topped with a pear, grapes, walnuts, and Gorgonzola cheese. Chunk of Italian bread on the side...who needs meat???? :D

Big plan for today is probably to drive up to the library. Woopppeee!

Lulu, I'm like you...I like the changes of seasons. The hot and cold ones make you look forward to the temperate ones all the more. :D

Kev, What wonderful friends you are meeting up with on your and Chris's vacation journey! Sounds fantastic.

Geoff, At Last! Glad you will be able to join your caravaning friends again.

Hi Alan, Long time no see. :wave:

Anita, Glad your shift at the Museum shop was more pleasant this time. :D

Annie, You paint such a mental picture of the kitties enjoying the fire and the soft sweater/jumper, it is delightful. :D

JJ, Nice to have a satchel that holds your gear so neatly in one place. :D

:wave: to all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Ellen in Ont
06-21-2013, 06:53 AM
:wave: everyone,
Happy first day of summer to those in the northern hemisphere! It is clouding over and it is supposed to rain for the foreseeable future. :( I don't think summer is going to actually appear this year. I enjoy the long hours of daylight in the summer and wish it would stay like that. It was still light enough outside to read at 10:00 pm last night.

After lunch Brian is driving me to my sister's for the weekend to teach and take part in art workshops. I can't wait to learn painting on silk with dyes. :D I have everything I need to make an oven fried rice for the potluck as well. Between all the supplies, food, and my clothes, you would think I was going on a month long holiday. :D

Lulu- I knit myself a beautiful Aran sweater once. I couldn't wear it. I was too hot. :rolleyes: I gave it to my sister who also couldn't wear it indoors. She used it as her winter coat for years in all but the coldest weather. :D It is 10 C right now and I've already been outside for awhile hanging clothes and filling a couple of fountains in bare feet and a T shirt thinking how warm it was.

My coffee is getting cold as I type so I'll wish everyone a great start to the weekend and start my day.

WthrLady
06-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Morning all.

Heading for a hazy and humid 96 (36) today. The locals are so happy I brought Alabama with me, NOT!

The new weather station is up and running.

All those annoying phone calls from yesterday have been completed.

I need to crawl down into the studio, but can't seem to find my 'sit still' button.

Interesting bit on plein air blog last night on paintings of Jacob Kessermaker. Panoramic watercolours of huge length. Hmmmm. I'll check the spelling of his name. He has many YouTube vids.

Jacob Kerssemaker. Forgot an r

Have a great day all!

CharM
06-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Good morning. It's official. The first day of Summer has arrived and the weather gods are smiling on us with warm sunshine. It's only 11C just now, but should warm up quickly. I have all the windows thrown open to welcome in the fresh air.

My thoughts are with the people of Southern Alberta (http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/20/pictures-and-videos-of-massive-flooding-in-canmore-and-southern-alberta/)who're being flooded out today. It's massively horrific. :(

Yesterday's Class was excellent. They'll likely finish their work next week. My friend and I dropped off our paintings at the Museum, so now we just wait to see if we're accepted or rejected. This show is a long one, and the paintings will be hung until late August.

Today, Ted and I plan to do nothing. Nada. But then... strawberries are at their peak and I could make up a batch of jam, or two... :angel: And, I'm doing a few step-by-step demo photos for those Students who missed our last day of the Workshop... I'll get those emailed out to them.

Allan, it's good to see you and I'm glad you're doing well!

:clap: for getting hitched, Geoff...

Lulu and Kev... how NEAT is this???!!!! I love WC for this very reason. And I can admit that I'm more than a little :envy:!

AND, a mini meet with JJ and Annie and Allan... WowieZowie...

Annie, I smiled at your repurposed sweater... our Tux has taken ownership of one of our afghans.

JJ, your new leather satchel sounds perfect for your needs. What a find!

Hi Anita... painting walls is NOT my favourite activity! I wish you well.

Sylvia, I love fresh greens from the garden. Your salad sounds delicious. And yes, who needs meat? :)

Ellen, probably the most difficult part of your weekend will be all the preparation and packing... I'd love your recipe for oven fried rice.

Caryl, I loved your photos that you posted the other day. The cloud shelf was gorgeous and it felt like we could climb aboard and float away.

Hi Doug and all yet to come! ((Lesley and Henry)) are forever on my mind... I hope that everyone has the very best possible day... :heart:

olliewood0702
06-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Hello Everyone,

Happy FRIDAY!:clap:

Thanks goodness it's finally Friday; boy this full workweek seemed extremely LONG.:rolleyes:

Char, those pics of Alberta are indeed horrific. How scary for those poor people. Those homes along that fill are just going to crash down the side that's being eroded away from all the rain. Scary stuff; those poor people.:confused: You and Ted have fun doing absolutely nothing.:lol:

LuLu, it sounds like you are cozy warm inside your home against the chill of the winter weather.

Annie, you too, along with your kitties, keep warm!

Anita, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to your Dad; have a great day today!

Caryl, you'd better find your "sit still" button soon.:D

Allan, hello there, it's so nice to see you join in the wash. What a delight to have a mini meet with friends from WC. I'm glad you are doing well.

JJ, your leather bag sounds like it's really nice; what a find hey?

Sylvia, your dinner last night sounds good; I love salads and can make a meal out of them; now Larry...not so much.:rolleyes:

Geoff and Doug, I feel so very lucky to have experienced two whole weeks of gorgeous weather while we were in Europe. Blessed indeed.

My knee is doing okay, still hurting without the ibuprofen and stiff as can be. I'm sure some PT will be in the books for me in the near future. I go to the doctor on Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to the weekend, Jen's birthday is Monday, My MOms is next Friday, Larrys and mine is the following Tuesday and Kaitlyns the Monday after that, then Josh's two days after Kaitlyns! We are bombarded with birthdays this time of year.:eek: It means lots of $$$

Larry sure is looking forward to his weekend off and I'm looking forward to him having off. We have lots planned for outside work AND inside work.

Tonight we are going to meet up with my brother and SIL who are downstate for the next few days while their eldest daughter, Amanda visits Michigan State University. She's enrolled in the veterinary program and they are giving tours of the campus. We offered our home for them to stay but they insisted on getting a hotel. We will go there to visit; which will be better since our house is in chaos.

It was a bit dull this morning with some gray skies and sprinkles, but the sun is peeking out at the moment. We are expecting scattered showers today and hot humid temps. More of the same for the weekend....welcome summer!:cool:

Enjoy your day everyone!:wave: :heart:

Uschi
06-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Good Morning!!

Another GORGEOUS day!! Getting very hot and humid after today.

Will say what Darla said so nicely:thumbsup: :)

Yesterday's scrabble was fun, 2 1/2 hour of scrabbling and 2 1/2 hours of chatting and laughing.

I'll go for another bike ride after getting dressed while it is still cool enough and playing table tennis in the afternoon. Will probably spend two hours watering the garden in the evening.

I did the chipmunk an injustice, saw a baby bunny in my garden yesterday so I think it is the culprit who ate my freshly planted flowers and guess what I saw in the front garden - a groundhog:eek: :eek: :eek:

:wave: Uschi

olliewood0702
06-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Uschi...we have chipmunks AND bunnies...both eating our plants.....but another GROUDHOG???:eek: :confused: ((())) We also have squirrels at our bird feeders, sheesh.)
I'm glad you had fun yesterday and have a great day today!

We have a SUPER MOON on Sunday; they say we won't even notice the difference as it's minimal to the naked eye.

LynnM
06-21-2013, 11:23 AM
:wave: Lovely breezy sunny day, I'm late getting started, too wired to go to bed on time after my evening out! My group danced in the park and I took photos and painted, and dinner was delish, lovely pot luck. Here they are winding the Maypole

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2013/97813-Dance_winding_the_may_pole.jpg

Our band

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2013/97813-Dance_band_2.jpg

After the dance on grass they went to the band shell/ice rink pad and the band competed with the skate borders banging away in the background.....a mostly amicable sharing of space!

And this is the sketch I did, didn't get the lovely light on the trunks as the setting sun caught them, but hope to do a painting from this.....I love the twisty end branches, only just suggested here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2013/97813-Driving_park_trees016_Large_Web_view.jpg

The park is very old, the first park in the area, and still called the Driving park, as it was where the fashionable drove around in their carriages to socialize. The whole town still comes here for baseball, or bowls, or waterplay, or tennis, or skating in winter, or band concerts in summer. The trees are very large, make me think of some of the Constable paintings of the huge sheltering trees.

Must get going, will say, 'what Darla said' so well! Hope everyone has a good day....BBL

Yorky
06-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Happy memories of our visit to Westfield Lynn. Lovely sketch.

Doug

LynnM
06-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Doug! I see now what I need to do to it to get the sun back. This was in downtown Dundas, and the group was my English Country Dance group. So nice to see them all as I'm not able to dance right now. This was a special event to honour the Solstice, feeling at one with all the groups over the world who were dancing. Of course, the Maypole dance would have been done earlier in the year, but it seemed appropriate somehow.

When I was in England in June 2005 I was privileged to take a guided tour on Dartmoor on Midsummer eve. There were groups all over using the several stone rings, some dancing and some picnicking out of baskets and complete with wine in elegant glasses, quite wonderful! Our guide was pointing out where the sun was going down through the notches in the surrounding hills....now displaced from the line of sight that existed so long ago when the stones were erected.

Uschi
06-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Wonderful photos Lynn!!! Looks like so much fun!! Your sketch is quite wonderful!!

I'm off - Uschi

shipbroker
06-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Caravanning again hurray ....

Using Kindleas no wifi.

geoff

JudyL
06-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi, a quick post as I have to go to rescue DGD who is not well and requires applesauce and Ramen noodles. :rolleyes:

I will be willing to go been fighting with my phone and some apps, for some reason my phone has dumped my WW app and since I don't remember how I got it, :o turned the job over to Jack, big mistake, he is detail orientated.

Saw those awful photos of the flood, but I must say that cat was not amused at all :lol:

TTFN

janinco
06-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Dropping in to say hi from smokey Colorado. We just got done with one wildfire (Black Forest - a beautiful area thick with pines reminiscent of Black Forest, Germany). 500 homes were lost and over 14,000 acres burned. We were 20 miles south, but got plenty of smoke.

Now we have a new fire in a gorgeous mountain area in Southern Colorado. It burned a Boy Scout camp - they only had time to grab their packs and jump into the cars to evacuate. It's going to take the town of South Fork, a fly fishing paradise east of Pagosa Springs. We have some friends who just bought a little mom and pop grocery in the town of La Veda which is a quaint tourist town and they are in pre-evacuation. It's so sad to see such devastation.

Loved your pictures, Lynn. I enjoy reading about everyone's travels and outings. My travel is limited to a few hours from home because of health issues, so I get to live vicariously :-)

Jan

WthrLady
06-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Jan, WHICH boy scout camp?!

Mine are supposed to head off to camp in three weeks down there. YIKES!

DH had one of his students evacuate his family. He was stationed here, while they stayed behind in the house while he was here for school. THe evac. zone was the block behind theirs, but they decided NOT to hang around and wait for the official order. They didn't loose the house, but it was only a mile away.

Got it...Spanish peak ranch

ScarletLake
06-21-2013, 04:51 PM
:wave: :wave: Checking IN :wave: :wave:

I made it to the POOL this afternoon --It was HEAVEN being outside.

We may go back when DH gets home from work. I know that with what we have planned tomorrow we won't make it again till Sunday.

Saw some old Air Force planes flying in for the Air Show this weekend. Weather will be great but no Thunderbirds or Blue Angels due to the budget cuts.

well off to put something in the oven

Anita

WthrLady
06-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Summer is officially here. We hit 100 with the humidity, 96 without. Locals are hunkering down in the AC. I went to the local farm market :lol: Feels like home. Warm and toasty. Ahhhhhh.

Cottonwood flying about like a summer blizzard, clogging all it touches including my sinus'.

Homemade rolls in the oven for supper. Cinnamon rolls made with half the dough in the fridge for morning breakies.

Still didn't make it into the studio today, WHICH by the way needs a NEW name. SeaGrass watercolour studio doesn't cut it when you are 1000 miles from the closest sea water! LOL.

janinco
06-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Carole, it was Spanish Fork. The group was from Tyler, Texas. One of the boys spotted the smoke during a flag ceremony. They sent a leader up one of the trails and he radioed back that he could see flames. They were out of there in twenty minutes. Got to love their preparedness!

I was trying to remember some meteorology terms and Gradient Studio might be nice, but Dew Point Watercolor Studio would definitely fit with the daily farm forecast :)

Jan

janinco
06-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Oops, meant to say Caryl!

Jan

CharM
06-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi Everyone... We enjoyed a perfect summer's day. I took my pedal boat out for the first time this season and loved every minute of it. The water isn't warm enough for me to swim in just yet, but it's surprisingly pleasant.

We gathered up the garbage and took it to the transfer station. It's a big deal simply because of all the recycling containers we deal with. Then, we went for lunch together. Ted dropped me off to get a colour and cut and ran a couple of his own errands.

This afternoon, he power washed the trailer and it really looks nice. I worked up some demo cards for those Students who missed the last session of my workshop. I emailed those out this evening. Here's the balance of the Class who did finish in the Studio:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2013/20514-IMG_6572a.jpg

Loved your photos, Lynn! It looks like fun. And your sketch is wonderful.

Uschi, summer has arrived with a bang... the next several days will be well above 30C!!!!

:wave: All... I'm going to close out our daylight hours out on the porch with my book. :wave:

LynnM
06-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks, Jan and Char, it was a fun evening!

Must be terrifying being so close to the wild fires......

Wonderful class paintings Char, that's not an easy still life either....well done all of them!

JudyL
06-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Mission of mercy done, happily Dad came home to tend to her, she did look sorry for herself.
I took the chance to go to Wallyworld and get a few things, and cushions for the chairs in the nook, much better.

I HAVE to add, I do feel sorry for Paula Deen, oh yes she did cross the line, but I found out the person who is suing her, had been fired for, uh taking things that "do not belong to her" and the news said is Caucasian, there is more to this to come.

Uschi
06-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Char, FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy oh Boy, you are indeed a FANTASTIC teacher!!!!
Uschi

Yorky
06-22-2013, 02:28 AM
What a wonderful class you have Char - congratulations to them for some fantastic paintings.

Horrendous disasters around the world. not least in Calgary and Colorado.

Doug