PDA

View Full Version : Turning your paintings into Cards

Arrow D.
06-20-2013, 09:47 PM
I didn't know where to put this topic so here it is.
I have a couple of paintings in jpg format that Im thinking of turning into 5x7 greeting cards. Can anyone recommend a company that can do this? My jpgs are over 20MB so a couple of companies I went to couldnt do it at that size. Any ideas?

*Deirdre*
06-21-2013, 07:32 AM
I've moved your thread into the correct forum. You may have missed our Welcome thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814221), which tells you about such things....:) Hope that helps!

DAK723
06-21-2013, 09:50 AM
I didn't know where to put this topic so here it is.
I have a couple of paintings in jpg format that Im thinking of turning into 5x7 greeting cards. Can anyone recommend a company that can do this? My jpgs are over 20MB so a couple of companies I went to couldnt do it at that size. Any ideas?
For a JPG to be 20MB, it must be a file with a huge number of pixels or saved at the highest quality (or both). If you have Photoshop elements or virtually any graphic program, you should be able to drastically reduce the size of the JPG file.

For a 5x7 greeting card, you could probably reduce the size of your image to about 1000 x 1400 pixels (that would be printing at 200 pixels per inch). You would need to resample your image. Even at 300 pixels per inch (1500 x 2100 pixels) the JPG should be much smaller.

Frankly, I am not sure why your JPG files are so large. A 20 MP camera saves RAW files that are 20 to 30 MP large, but the JPGs should be considerably smaller.

Hope this helps.

Don

chuas2
06-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Hi Arrow,
Don is correct, you can easily reduce the file size in Photoshop Elements.

As for the cards, I've been thinking about doing the same thing. If you Google something like "printers to make cards from paintings" or something like that, you'll get the names of several places where you can send images to be made into cards online. Where/how to market is the question!
Kris

robertsloan2
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
If the file size is the problem, I use Gimp to resize JPG photos and scans all the time, usually before uploading to WC. http://www.gimp.org will have the links to download the free Gimp program for photo manipulation and digital art. The longer I use it, the more I like it. I got it because it was free a long time ago and have been using it on every computer since.

To resize photos on it go to the Images menu and choose Scale Image, pick the larger dimension and type in the number of pixels you want on the long side. It'll scale the image. Do a Save As with JPG (which may demand you Export it) and you will have a version to send the card company. Gimp saves as .XCF files because that's its format for changing things on it, but it'll save again as JPG easily if you choose Export instead of Save. That just means save as something other than XCF.

westcoast_Mike
06-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Surprised they indicated they couldn't do it. Usually they want the highest resolution you can give them. Have the images been resized to 5" X 7"? I've done this a couple of different ways. Once, I went with a local printer after doing a bot of interviewing. I've also had Xmas cards printed up online using Staples.

Here is a thread from a while back that I started that may have some useful information for you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679181

Devonlass
06-22-2013, 09:48 AM
I used Vista Print for Christmas cards one year and was very happy with the finished product.

jackiesimmonds
06-22-2013, 01:36 PM
I have justhad some card done, they are excellent, but no good to you if you are not in the UK. If you are, let me know, I will tell you who I used.

Tahloola
12-27-2014, 02:37 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=color+simulation+services&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari. This is by far the best company to reproduce artwork into cards and prints. Randy and Dan are amazing to work with.

VanessaT
12-29-2014, 06:02 PM
I have used moo.com in the past and I was VERY pleased with their customer service and quality. I'm using them again in the new year to print another set.

Devonlass
12-29-2014, 07:01 PM
I had mine done by Fine Art America this year. They were very well done, good quality printing. I was pleased with the result.

Potoma
01-05-2015, 08:21 AM
I use Zazzle, but they do take up some of the back with their logo. You can see mine here. (http://www.zazzle.com/137514050295169991?type=notecard&orientation=horz&design.areas=[card_4x56_outside_print_horz_front,card_4x56_outside_print_horz_back]&context=114058591418301133&view=113404083060829587&hasUserTitle=False) They're 4x6. I think you can choose different sizes of cards, but I do not remember a jpg size limit - as mentioned 20mb would not be needed to print a little card.

If you receive Zazzle's emails, you can watch for notcard sales. Annually, just before Xmas, they're something like 75% off, so I just got a bunch made. Don't know if they do it another time each year.

westcoast_Mike
01-05-2015, 12:54 PM
We used PsPrint for our Christmas card this year. Printed on very good stock and good Customer Service. We will probably use them for our next round of note cards.