PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower girl

Frostie
06-19-2013, 08:19 AM
I haven't posted anything in a while. Things have been a bit slow this year - not much motivation. Although I have just had my first commission of the year and I am now working on a painting of a beautiful greyhound.
Like Pat I seem to have accumulated quite a few unfinished paintings. This one I started almost a year ago. I didn't like it so it got left until a couple of months ago when I started working on it again. I scraped off almost all the oil pastel and started again. I liked it much better this time. I did the flowers in acrylic paint - I didn't seem to be able to get the effect I wanted with oil pastel. The gold on the picture shows up slightly more in the photo than it does in real life.
Now she is finished I'm not entirely sure what to do with her. My friend is interested in a print - so I think I shall sort out getting some prints done. Now sure what to do with the original - don't know whether to try sell her on line or see if a gallery is interested. Any ideas?
Reference photo used with kind permission from Callum Hutchinson on Flickr.
Helen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2013/99499-IMG_0510bsunflowergirl.jpg
Neopastel and senns on Canson Mi-Teintes.

Flycatcher10
06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Exquisite painting Helen! I can't imagine what your original piece looked like, in any event I'm so glad you picked your Oil Pastels back up because your work here is exceptional.

Her face is gorgeous, from structure, to lighting, to the beautiful skin tones used and finally I love her lips and eyes.

Lovely work on the flowers as well!

What size is the painting? Why not try to sell her online as a card, print and original painting - I would think you'd generate some interest.

Frostie
06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Mary,
Thank you so much for the compliments and kind words.
The original piece is quite big - about 15 inches by 20 inches. Just seems to be the size I'm most comfortable working at. Although I've bought myself some watercolours - I'm going to have a go at combining watercolour and oil pastel. Thought watercolour would lend themselves better to smaller stuff such as cards etc.
I'm currently trying to get my head around prints etc - so hopefully soon will be able to branch out into online selling.
Helen

Pat Isaac
06-19-2013, 11:14 AM
This is beautifully done, Helen. I am so glad to see another one of your portraits. I like the skin tones and reflected colors.
Are their any shows in your area where you could exhibit?

Pat

Frostie
06-21-2013, 03:05 AM
Thank you Pat. Your comments are always appreciated.
I live near York - which is the ideal place to exhibit. Trouble is though that it is very expensive to take part in any fairs that may be going one. I need to look wider afield - a project for the this summer I think.
Helen

thevaliantx
06-21-2013, 04:32 AM
What a beautiful nose. And the lips, natural looking.

What was it about trying the flowers in oil pastel that you didn't like?

RainySea
06-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Oh wow, that is beautiful. All of her features are so wonderfully done, especially her mouth. Its so soft and real. The quality of her face is stunning and I love the soft glow in the shadow. Its a beautiful painting and on mi tientes which I find a bit of a harder support to use for OP personally.

Blooming
06-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Stunning! Sensuous and innocent at the same time. The painting evokes many emotions as well as memories. Always a sign of a good painting in my humble opinion.

Have you tried working with gouache as an underpainting? I am playing with it now and find the texture of the gouache lends itself well to OPs.

DLT
06-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Beautiful work!

E-J
06-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Helen, she is beautiful - like a Pagan goddess. I'm picturing her in a gold frame. Definitely think you should exhibit her, if you have the means and opportunity to do that. Perhaps the start of a series?

Mikenoss
06-23-2013, 01:13 AM
Lovely portrait, soft look. Beautifully done.:thumbsup:

lorigina
06-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Hi Helen, I just spotted this thread. This is so beautiful. The jaw line, eyes, nose, shadows, hair - all flawlessly done. You are really GOOD!

Yannse
06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I think use oil pastel to paint portrait is very diffcult. You did great job! I like her eyes and lips. Wonderful !

skappy
07-08-2013, 04:02 AM
Very beautiful great job on the skintones
Robert

Frostie
07-12-2013, 08:50 AM
thevaliantx, RainySea, Blooming, Donna, E-J, Mikenoss, lorigina, Jeimin and Robert,
Thank you all for all your lovely comments - they are all really appreciated. I am really flattered.
thevaliantx - don't know why I didn't like doing the flowers in oil pastel - they just were not working for me. Probably because I haven't really done flowers much in oil pastels - I need to practice!
Blooming - I haven't tried gouache yet - but it's definitely something I'm going to try.
Helen