PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Smith color sphere/circle

Saint Ragdoll
06-19-2013, 01:27 AM
If this is in the wrong place, please move it for me please....

I am looking for a chart that shows Daniel Smith watercolor paints intensity, it is on their website here
Http:/knowledgebase.danielsmith.com/colormap.asp

I emailed DS customer service asking for a print of this chart, and a key to what the numbered paints were. I cant find one on the website and the tiny specks of color dont say what paint/pigment they are...Enlarging it just makes it blurry...

I offered to pay for a copy of the chart as I think it would be extremely useful for me. I was told by the customer service person that she doesnt have a print to mail out.
Now, I remember this same chart being in a DS catalog....but I dont have that catalog any more. It isnt in the 2008-2009,2009-2010 2010-2011, or the recent 2012-2013 yearly reference catalogs so it must have been in one of the smaller seasonal Summer, spring, winter or fall catalogs, I dont know what year though...
So, if anyone keeps their old catalogs and can find the one with this chart I will be happy to pay you for the catalog, or a color copy of the chart and the key to the color/pigments....
We can work out what you think it's worth....
You can PM me or email me.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

D'Lady
06-19-2013, 02:39 AM
If you go to that page, and click on each of the little spots, the name comes up as a "tool tip".

Correction: mouse over the number, and the hue name is shown (13 Hooker's Green); click on the number or the little spot of color for a popup window that opens with the product information on it.

Saint Ragdoll
06-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Thank you!!! I will see if that will work with an ipad.
and I would still like to have the paper copy. I love the electronics but some things, art books are one, I just really like having the paper version....I was astonished that DS doesnt have a print copy available....
Hopefully some one has this catalog....(keeping fingers crossed!)

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Quinacridone Gold
07-02-2013, 06:56 PM
I know the one you mean. I went through the DS one and wrote in all the names. It won't be big enough to be useful but I'll post it anyway in case it helps...you may be able to enlarge it again?

There is also a handprint one that is helpful. You can download it from here...
http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/color16.html#wheel

Rcanby
07-04-2013, 01:48 AM
DS sent me a color chart a few months ago along with a routine order - I did not make a special request. The chart folds down to about 11 x 4 and unfolded is about 11 x 16. It has great color samples with DS names for each along with ratings for light fastness, transparency, granulation and whether staining or non staining but it does NOT include standardized pigment numbers, just 9-digit numbers that I don't recognize. Luminescent colors are on the back. It does not have a circle or spectrometer-type
map, just swatches of a couple hundred colors set out in a grid format.

Is this what you are looking for?

Rhonda

virgil carter
07-04-2013, 10:31 AM
A hue circle may be much more useful than color charts, since hue circles show hue adjacencies, and, when composed to do, may show individual hue chroma.

Knowing the comparative hue chroma allows one to choose saturated or neutralized paints that best fit one's approach to painting and to subject matter. For example, on the DS hue circle above, I believe that the further towards the perimeter a paint is located the greater the paint's saturation. Conversely, the closer to the center, the duller and more neutral a paint.

Looking at the DS circle, there appear to be some exceptions to this general rule, but the circle is so small that it's not possible to see all the paints in detail.

Sling paint,
Virgil

Saint Ragdoll
07-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Virgil,
The chart that was published in one of the DS seasonal catalogs was bigger and clearer than the the one online... I am beginner in learning about the colors I have been using and since many of my paints are DS I found this chart very interesting and helpful, other charts are helpful too, this one just interested me.

I was really hoping someone whould have a copy if the catalog this was published in and would be willing to sell it to me.....

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll