PDA

View Full Version : What's been your worst packaging?

StewGold
06-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Had a very odd morning buying paper. Not naming the shop as I don't think they'll do it again. I turned into an slightly angry Hagrid today. (I've the build and the hair, so why not)

Went for paper, had about 12 mixed full sheets including some 425GSM Bockford and a couple sheets Fabriano 640GSM hot pressed to do some botanical painting. Usually they'd guillotine it to half sheets for me, but no longer "allowed". So was going to have fun transporting full sheets. Left them at the counter and went to get the last bits and bobs. love browsing so I was 10~15 minutes. Took the rest to the counter she rang it all through and put the bobs and bits in a bag and then hands me a four inch diameter brown card posting tube.

"Didn't buy that" Says I. "It's your paper" she says.

I kind of looked at her. then I asked her nicely "How do I get it out?"

"Just pull it" she says. So I asked her to try.

Two minutes later she's got 4 corners on her hand, not the rest of the sheet, just 4 corners, and then starts spiralling the paper out by trying to roll it tighter and pulling it out. Finally lays out 12 curvy, creased and torn sheets; and really didn't understand why I didn't want it. That 640GSM paper is cracked like crazy and even the lighter papers are cracked and creased.

"Oh well, you can just soak it"

After some discussion, the paper was replaced and I came home with a poundshop binliner full of flat sheets of paper.

So who's had worse?

Leslie.

virgil carter
06-18-2013, 01:20 PM
I can't imagine any experienced art retailer attempting to roll watercolor paper, especially the heavier stock. Yes, of course, one can buy watercolor paper in rolls, but if one is buying flat sheets one expects them to be...well...flat!

Not sure I'd return to that shop unless they are the only available choice. I buy mine through the Internet, when there are sales and reduced/free shipping.

Good luck with your painting.

sling paint,
Virgil

ingegerd
06-18-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm amazed that she managed to get those twelve sheets into the roll.

At the store I go to they roll the sheets into a large roll around 30cm in diameter with some wrappingpaper around it to keep it in place. I have no prolems taking it home on the bus.

CharM
06-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Leslie, Hagrid with just a big softie at heart... :) Is it possible that the Store Clerk was new and just didn't know that rolling the paper into that tube would be a serious problem? Maybe she was trying to be helpful... and I'd be willing to be will never make that mistake again.

I've purchased paper online lots of times and have occasionally experienced problems even though it's shipped flat. One box of 20 sheets looked as though it had been dropped on its corner and every sheet was damaged. The store blamed the carrier. The carrier blamed the store.

I used to buy chops and framing supplies from a U.S. company. They shipped my order promptly but made a big mistake on the paperwork. As a result, the shipment was held up for two weeks at the border.

That's it... nothing terribly earth shattering... :)

WthrLady
06-18-2013, 05:11 PM
That's pretty awful. My worst was 8 mgraham tubes in a normal manila 5x7 envelope without padding. Smashed and leaking all of them. The post office put the whole mess in a plastic bag and delivered it to me. What a mess!

Mayberry
06-18-2013, 06:11 PM
I've never bought individual watercolor sheets in a store. Whenever I see some on display, they're all damaged, often with pen marks from customers trying out pens on them. So I buy mine in sealed packs or online only.

Once I really wanted to try a certain paper from a popular online store, and needed to order a 10 sheet minimum (mix&match). So I put together an order of several different kinds of paper adding up to 10 sheets, along with a few other supplies. When the order arrived, it was nicely packed, but the one kind of paper I really wanted was missing. When I called customer service, they said they could not ship me the missing paper because they had to ship a 10 sheet minimum, so all they could do was remove the missing paper from my bill. (They didn't even offer to take a new order over the phone for that paper.) I ordered the paper from a different company that did not have the 10 sheet requirement.