PDA

View Full Version : ****Daily Wash Tuesday June 18 2013****

Lulu
06-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Good afternoon everyone:wave:

You can roll over and go back to sleep Geoff :D

Has been a good day, temperature of 17C. Out to the gym this morning, then the usual coffee afterwards and since being home I have been trying to sort clothes for our holiday. Not easy to think 'hot and humid' when it's anything but! lol

Kay, I am so sorry about your friend.:heart:

Uschi, I haven't seen that movie yet, it's long gone from the theatre, but I might get it on dvd.
Did you know that NZ was the first country in the world to give women the vote? (in 1893).

The movie we saw yesterday was 'Remembrance' a beautiful love story of war-time, based on fact.

shipbroker
06-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Thanks Lulu!
Nice to see someone elses name there.

Better night...4 stright hours and then a bit more later Looking at the Kev theory I find that my default position is taken up about 90% of the time as I sleep diagonally across with my feet out.

Golf this morning. Back later

geoff

Yorky
06-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Good evening Lulu, Good morning Geoff :wave:

It's a beautiful morning here, lots of sunshine with fluffy alto cumulus clouds drifting by and already 14C.

Looks good for bowls this afternoon. Enjoy your golf Geoff.

Doug

Doris345
06-18-2013, 04:37 AM
Hi washers,
Busy, pleasant weekend, now to catch up on the washing.

Uschi, I love your Iris.
Lynn, how many floors did that squirral climb to get onto your balcony? (I had a neighbor who left her terrace door open and found a squirrel in her living room - 21 stories up!)
Ellen - lovely photo, lovely family.
Annie - Dorky Worky?? :lol: Do you mean it as rhyming, or as in toiling?

Kev - I think you are only supposed to turn around 2-1/2 times. :angel:

Nancy - I am glad to hear the stress is easing a bit. Dont let that %$^% get to you, she is not worth it.
((Kay))
Doug, Shirley - what is PSP? I am also about to embark on a slide-conversion project.

Not much planned for today. My CSA is starting in full swing, with lots of early season greens this week. Kale chips. Yum yum.

:wave: :wave: to everyone.

BBL
Doris

doppler
06-18-2013, 04:37 AM
Hi all.

Lulu and Ushii, I haven't seen the Sapphires film yet, but have heard the music. Thank you ABC 612. Sad pathetic and shameful old thing that our country didn't give citizenship to our indigenous peoples until the overwhelming referendum of 1967.

You beat us on the women's vote. Bigger rolling pins? Aussie women were given the vote at , or near, federation. I'm not sure that there weren't a whole lot of rolling pins here either. Maybe more respect.

Doug and Geoff :wave:

doppler
06-18-2013, 04:47 AM
What ever you want it to mean Doris :lol: Toil.:wave:

Lulu
06-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Hi Doug, Doris, Annie...
Must have been a stroppy lot Annie lol

Is anyone else using Windows Live Mail for their emails? I've been having a problem with it latterly, sometimes it works, oftentimes it doesn't......
It keeps coming up 'error' when I go to send or receive, and then a while later it works. Annoying....
Anyone have any ideas?

Yorky
06-18-2013, 05:51 AM
PSP is Paintshop Pro Doris, like Photoshop Elements but some of the tools are better for what I want to do.

Hi Annie :wave:

Doug

ScarletLake
06-18-2013, 06:24 AM
:wave: :wave:

Hi Everyone

6AM here in OHIO. Just popping up for a bit.

Geoff - glad you got some sleep. I think I got 6 hrs

Kay --So sorry to hear about your friend. One of my paint group ladies who was an awesome person passed away on Friday. She was 83. Going to her visitation this evening.

Wondering if Darla had an answer on her knee yet???

Well I'm going back to bed for some more shut eye before the day actually gets underway.

Anita

Ellen in Ont
06-18-2013, 07:25 AM
:wave: everyone,
I'm glad I covered the tomatoes last night. Right now it is 0 with a wind chill of -3. :rolleyes: When will summer get here?

I have lots of prep work to do today and tomorrow for the workshop on the weekend. But I'll take time to join the girls from work for lunch. :D

Not much else to tell you all. Lots of hugs to those not well. I'm off and running.

CharM
06-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Good morning! It's cool, cloudy and windy. :(

Yesterday, while I was teaching, Ted cleaned our patio, front porch and the back deck. He got the grass cut and trimmed. Everything looked so nice. Then, in the afternoon, a series of thunderstorms moved through here and continued right through the night. There are leaves and sticks on everything. All the lawn furniture is soaked.

Why does any of that matter? I'm hosting my Service Club's dinner meeting tonight and there'll be 30 Ladies bringing their potluck dishes to enjoy outdoors as a Garden Party.

I didn't get to the Wash yesterday as I was trying to make sure everything was tidied up, in between Classes. It is. And if worse comes to worse, the Club will be able to visit here in the house without having to wade through cat hair and grime.

I read through the Wash, though. And smiled, frowned, and commiserated with you.

((Kay)) please accept my condolences.

I forgot to tell Ellen how beautiful she looked in her dress at the wedding.

((Nancy))

I need to get a gluten free cheesecake in the oven... And set the table with disposable plates and cutlery... I found some gelatin based stuff that's biodegradable... Get out the punch bowl... I need to clean my warming tray (to hold the hot dishes) and make some room in our fridge to house the cold dishes...

So... I'd just love to stay and chat, but I cannot... I really, really, really have to learn how NOT to volunteer. :)

shipbroker
06-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Afternoon all.....

Too hot for me on golf course so we only did 10 holes and had a sat down in the shade therafter,reading the board under our half mast club flag we have lost three members this past week, one of whom I had played with a time or two the others I didn't know....

Nothing this afternoon but drink cold water or juice maybes garden tonight.

geoff

LynnM
06-18-2013, 08:26 AM
:wave: Sun breaking through here, looks like another good day, rained in the night apparently, but not as violently as for you, Char! That's a shame, but Murphy's Law, you know :( They will have a good time anyway, they are not coming to see your house, or at least not totally :rolleyes:

Morning at the Village, can't dawdle here....

I'm only two stories up, Doris, this is a low rise building. That was quite a feat for it to get up 21! They are pretty persistent little beasts! Some people get racoons, which is worse. :crossfingers: not on mine so far. Nice that your market source is starting again, our local market opened last week. They move around to the various local communities, our day is Thursday which is a busy day for me, but I'll get there. I like kale chips too, planning to make some.

Have to run......Hi to everyone here and all to come, have a rewarding day!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Uschi
06-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Good Morning!!!

Sun with cloudy periods promised and a high of 19C.

Yesterday' predicted thunderstorms never happened, the sun came back out and stayed all day.

I visited with my artist friend, she experimented with pouring resin over her acrylic painting. Ends up hard as a rock with a wonderfully deep glow. I love that finish.

So far the only plan for today is lunch with my friend Lynn.

I really, really, really have to learn how NOT to volunteer

You've got it Char:lol: I am sure everyone will have a great time.

Kay, I am so sorry you lost your friend.

Annie, worse was that the authyorities took the aboriginal children from their parents. Same here in Canada. Something must be missing in our brains, seriously.

Lulu, this is a private movie theatre. They show movies that our of the big theatres and non holliwood films that win awards etc.

The unjustified treatment of the aboriginal people was touched on, not overplayed, it was mostly about the four girls who bacame the Saphires, quite lighthearted.

Hungry, breakfast time. :wave: to ALL here and all yet to come!!

Uschi

wcartistsr
06-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Sunny out we had terrific thunderstorms yesterday evening. No damage, however. Char, too bad it messed up all of Ted's hard work for your party. I'm sure everyone will have a good time anyway. Sounds like you have a good "plan B".

My cold is in my throat. Think I will call the doc this morning and see if he will order an antibiotic to have on hand in case I feel it in my chest. The one he gave me 2 yrs. ago to take along when I travel, is out of date. Don't want to take any chances with a secondary infection developing down there.

Worked some more on the pictures. Doug, I touch them up in PSP because I can restore color and sharpness to many of the old ones. I amazes me what a difference it makes. My mother would be so delighted if she could see some of them now. What a wonderful age we live in.

Kay, I am sorry for the loss of your friend.
Doris, my scanner will go ahead and optimize each scan, but it takes a lot longer to scan each, and I like the control, so I prefer to just scan the slide and then use PSP afterwards at my leisure.

Shirley

NancyR
06-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Good morning, woke up to a little shower again this morning. Didn't even need to use an umbrella walking in. Since we are still in drought, all rain is relished.

Had a wonderful evening at home last night. Grilled steaks and had strawberries over pound cake for dessert. One of my favorite meals. Finished my zentangle, and I will start a new one tonight.

Doris, unlike your wonderful brother, my brother would never rescue me from anyone or anything unless he was getting something in return...usually $$$$. Thought that facing a major medical crisis he would change.

Thank you Char, I am doing fine. My girls, my cousin, and my niece rallied around me. My SIL is mental and spews hate. Your dinner party will turn out wonderful despite the rain.

Kay, I am so sorry for your loss.

Well, I have to get back to work. Hi, Lulu, Geoff, Ellen, Anita, Lynn, Shirley, Uschi, and all to come.

Uschi
06-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Just sent to me - Grocery Store Opera HERE (http://biggeekdad.com/2013/05/grocery-store-opera/)

Uschi

villagernb
06-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Thank you, Uschi! You made my morning a lot brighter!

Anne

shipbroker
06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Very nice Uschi........we wouldn't get them around here as we don't have any Waitrose shops and we don't do exotic pestos like Sacla either....but a nice treat.

geoff

CharM
06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Taking a quick break... you know, I've been having these kinds of get-togethers for years... Lots of BIG barbeques, open house events... I don't remember having to sit down three or four times during the prep work! :lol:

Or maybe I'm just nosey and like to peek in here now and again.

Cheesecake is out of the oven and looking fine. The dining room table is as set up as I can get it at this point. The warming try was positively disgusting, covered with dust. That's washed and spickity, just waiting for the warm dishes to arrive.

The ice machine is making ice. :) I don't have to do anything with it except collect the little hard tubes and put them in bags in the freezer.

Next, I'll have to make room in the fridge for the arrival of the cold dishes. And then, I'll swiffer the floors one last time. By then, it should be dry enough outside that I can wipe off the lawn furniture and picnic tables.

Ted wasn't able to get the dock secured or the pedal boat in the water... but it doesn't really matter 'cause it isn't warm enough anyway.

Break time is done...

painterbear
06-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Good Morning all,
It is quarter to 11 a.m. here in sunny, sultry Oakwood. Feels like a sauna when you go outdoors. Rain is supposed to be here this afternoon.

Just got back from grocery shopping, nothing exciting. :rolleyes:

Char, :crossfingers: it clears up and dries up so you and the ladies can enjoy the garden party outdoors.

Kay, Sorry about your friend's unexpected passing. :o:

Uschi, We often rode the finicular from downtown Naples up to the Possilipo (a shopping center up on the heights above the city). So your little link to that wonderful group singing about the Finicular made me smile. :D Didn't they have great voices. Loved the little boy clapping over his head at the end. :D

Nancy, I'm sure you have much more love in your life than your SIL has in her miserable one. :evil:

Shirley, I did that transfer of slides to the computer via scanning last year. It takes a while, but is definitely worth it. Along the way it made me wonder "What was I thinking of" when I took some of those slides...like four of the bear at a zoo. Not to paint a picture, just to record him for history. :rolleyes:

Lynn, Two stories is definitely not a challenge for a squirrel. :rolleyes: We saw a raccoon wandering through our yard the other day. The reason all these sightings of animals is puzzling is that we live in the middle of houses in the middle of a small city, not in the suburbs with lots of land around us. There are some places like that in Oakwood, but they are on the other side of the major highway that runs through the town. There I would expect to see a menagerie.

Saw a strange story on the news this morning about a young couple in Sarnia, Canada. Seems the husband was digging post holes for a fence he was going to put up around their house when he hit a skull. After clearing away the dirt, they called the police who, in turn, called an archaeologist. It was determined that the body belonged to a young woman who may have died up to 400 years ago. What is odd is that now they have received a bill for $5,000 so the government can do an archaeological assessment on their property. That's sure a way to encourage people to turn remains like this in, eh. :rolleyes:

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Scene Chaser
06-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Good Day All,
Beautiful sunny day here.

Uschi, loved the video.

Garden work today,

Bill

olliewood0702
06-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Hello Everyone,

My Dr thinks I might have a "medial meniscus tear" in my knee. He asked me where my crutches were. He thinks I should be using them whenever I can. He says my ACL repair seems to be solid but they did an MRI this morning and I have to go back next Tuesday for a consult. He says to keep taking ibuprofen and ice it at night.;)

Today the insurance adjustor will be at the house to see the damaged "stuff." Larry hopes to be home in time to talk to her. He had to go into work for 3am and works until 3pm. He'll have to work one more day of those hours this week but is supposed to have this coming weekend off. That can change though.:rolleyes:

CHar I hope your dinner party goes smoothly for you; it sounds like you are all ready and organized.

Sylvia, that is something about them wanting to charge those epoor people for excavating their property! It is enough to make people not bother with preserving history!:confused: Experts day to be cautious of wild animals especially when they don't seem to be afraid of people; rabies could be present. What a lot of wildlife you seem to have for being in the city!

Anita, sorry for your loss of your friend.

Kay, I'm terribly sorry for your young friends passing. What a young age.

(((SHIRLEY))) I hope your sore throat doesn't go into your chest.:crossfingers:

Have fun at Bowls, Doug! It's a lovely day here today. Yesterday it was 85F...hot! But they say today not as warm and tonight much cooler than usual. But by the weekend HOT and HUMID!:(

Larry planted a few annuals last night and we have two perennials to put in. Larry planted WAY TOO MANY tomato plants. I don't know what he'll do with them all. THey ALL came up; he has about 3 flats.:eek:

Speaking of squirrels and the damage they can do; my sister said one chewed up her window screen to her kitchen window trying to get in! THey are pesky rodents for sure. My Mom said they are literally ruining her birdfeeders; when Dad was alive he'd re-locate them but now that he's gone they are taking over.

Waving to LuLu, Anne, Annie, Geoff, Nancy, Lynn, Doris, Uschi, and Ellen

I hope you all have a WONDERFUL day!:wave: :heart:

JudyL
06-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Hiya :wave: I had problems logging into ANYTHING this morning but Jack the guru, fixed it
We had the girl over last night, we had to take her shopping for running shoes yesterday and we found 2 that were good, and on sale. I am proud of her, she REALLY wanted the more expensive pair (hot pink)but chose the pair that was $20 less. :clap:
Today she spends the day with the "Boyfriend" thankfully also with his Mum.

mustache

later
:wave:

Europa
06-18-2013, 01:38 PM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!

Kay am sorry to hear about your friend.

Lulu - I use Windows Live Mail - haven't noticed any problems.

Sylvia - you would have thought they would have paid the landowner to excavate the site rather than the other way around.

Char - have a lovely time.

It has been a lovely day here in downtown Wigan but we spent most of it stuck in the hospital. Mum's appt was at 11.20 so I thought I would save time when we got there by asking if we should go to xray as it was a year since Mum had had her knee replacement.

Normally you are sat there some time before they send you.....anyhoos the woman was very nice and checked for us = gave us the paperwork and off we went. Over an hour later we finally got out - on our way back to outpatients who did we see but her handsome doctor who said he would be five mins.

We were called in after about 10 mins to be met by one of his assistants - Mum was not happy so I said we would prefer to see the consultant. We then waited over another hour. Finally we got in to see him - he said both of Mum's knees where fine - and explained to her that walking is not just about the legs - its about standing up straight - getting your 'core' in the correct position etc etc. Mum pulled a face because that is what I have been telling her for the last year. :eek:

So he has said she needs to build up her strength and so as well as doing her exercises she has to walk a couple of times a day. I must admit that she has had a few setbacks over the past 12months and hasn't been feeling able to walk (mainly due to the shoulder pain). ....but I have been vindicated so maybe now she will actually listen to me. :thumbsup:

He did say that normally he would only see her now in five years.......lol but that was pushing it a bit.....so he would see her in 12 months. Her face fell when he told her that - so he said he would see her in 6 months. Aaaw wasn't that nice - nice to see the caring side of the NHS.

Nothing else to report - she has her second cataract op on 5th July - sees the thoracic surgeon the same month so busy time next month for a change :eek:

Sending white light and hugs to those who need it.

Waving to everyone :wave:

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

shipbroker
06-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Nice to see you posting at a reasonable time Pat...not the middle of the night!

Pleased that your trip to hospital was worthwhile, even if Winnie does pull faces.

geoff

JudyL
06-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Doug what do you think of Google Chrome web browser?

Yorky
06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
I just pm'd you Judy.

The Chrome browser is fine, and has become more popular than Firefox. I still use Firefox myself but have Chrome as a back up.

Sometimes the page layout is different in Chrome, with some of the info appearing at the bottom of the page instead of the top.

Doug

CharM
06-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm done! Now I'm just waiting for people to begin arriving. It's nice to not be rushing around. It looks like rain. :mad:

Uschi, I loved the clip!

We saw that on the news, also, Sylvia. The $$$ may be even higher if more remains are found... bureaucratic gobbledy goop...

Bill! Why does everyone have sunshine but me???????

((Darla)) You know that you have to do what the Dr. says... Good luck with the Insurance Adjuster. :crossfingers:

Hiya Judy... you really do have the patience of Job...

Pat, I'm glad your Mom doesn't need knee surgery and that her Dr. treats her with respect.

Hi Geoff...

Judy, I've been using Chrome for some time and like it.

New Gamboge
06-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Good afternoon everyone - Char - we no longer have sunshine - I managed to get a bit of weeding done before the rain started - it's been hot here (cold if you're from Brisbane!) for a few days so the rain is welcome.

Pat - how nice of your Mum's dr - both for agreeing with you and for telling her he'd see her in 6 months.

We just got a 500 lb boar from a friend - SIL and 2 friends are sharing it - everyone said the meet would be really strong - were they ever wrong, it is the best pork I have ever tasted.

Squirrels can make a real mess, a friend of ours was away and her niece housesat - the living room was always shut off to keep her cats off her beautiful furniture, but a squirrel got down the chimney and tore the stuffing out of the furniture. Her husband kindly went in and cleaned as much as he could before he'd let her see it. On the positive side, the grey squirrels are very tasty. They are an import and are driving our cute Douglas squirrels away so I don't mind having them harvested.

We have a lot of newt/salamander tadpoles (can't tell the difference) as well as red-legged frog tadpoles in our pond. I was worried that the ducks might have gotten all the adults.

Lulu - your portrait is beautiful.

Thanks everyone for your comments on my goats, now I have to think of what to do next.

I switched to Chrome for awhile, but didn't like it as much as Firefox, so switched back.

Betty

shipbroker
06-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Seems that Firefox losing popularity here...certainly I have removed it as it used to go into competion with other things....

I do have Chrome onboard but am using IE8 for most of my work still, suits my XP fine.

geoff

villagernb
06-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Char, you know that if you plan an outdoor party in Canada, it is going to rain!

Have fun, either inside or outside!

Anne

olliewood0702
06-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Char, we've had plenty of sunshine and no rain all day. I hope it stays dry for your dinner party.

I don't use Firefox but have before. We use IE but sometimes Chrome too.

I'm hoping to finish sorting my pictures tonight. Both Larry and I took pics with our cameras; lots of the same stuff but most are good ones. I have found that we've forgot the names of the places in London and Paris that we saw while on the tour bus. A few I remember. Oh well. The most lovely are the country scenes from the Lake District and Scotland's rugged seaside and castles.

We don't have the girls tonight which is good; she's only closing one day this week and that is tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Pat, I'm glad that Winnie is doing so well except her poor shoulder. I hope that she'll listen to her doctor's advice so that it'll be easier on you having to coax her to walk.:crossfingers:

Betty, I love pork, GOod that your boar is so tasty. I'd like to buy a side of beef for the freezer; Matt is looking into splitting one with us. Where we used to live we'd buy a 1/2 of a pig or beef for the freeze just about every year. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to eat squirrel...after all they ARE a rodent. I'll just take your word for it; that it's delicious.:lol:

I hope you enjoy what's left of your day; :wave:

Lulu
06-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone,
a wettish day here.
Doing a few things before I head off to the gym...

Darla, looking forward to seeing your holiday photos. I well know the problems of forgetting what you have photographed! so I always take a photo of a place name/sign or something to indicate and remind me.
Your head is so full of wonderful sights and goes into overload, at least mine does.
How is your knee today?

I'm not having any problems with Live Mail today, so hopefully it will continue that way.

Can someone please tell me what the appeal of Chrome is? I do have firefox installed, rarely use it, but it doesn't give me problems.
I mostly use IE 10, no problems with that either.

Thankyou Betty for your comments on my portrait. I finished it off this morning and took it off the board. Have sorted the next one so will draw it up tonight.
Have you done a painting of goats? I have missed a lot in the last few weeks, so will search.

Pat, when I read what you'd said about the doctor telling your mum that walking is about getting your core right I immediately sat up instead of slouching here at the computer :D
Bless you and your mum :heart:

Better get moving here, a casserole (lamb) to put in the oven, some tidying to do and then get into the gym.

:wave:

Yorky
06-19-2013, 02:28 AM
I think the appeal of Chrome is its speed Lulu.

Doug