PDA

View Full Version : Landscape wip

Ulvinnen
06-17-2013, 09:10 AM
I am a total newbie and I have come this far With a watercolor background which I like very much ( it gives me desert Vibes) but can you please help me how to proceed? I am stuck and afraid to ruin anything and need ideas.

reikiart
06-17-2013, 10:10 AM
I like the colors you've got going on...you are right, it does feel sort of "desert" like...at this stage you could just pick out an define a few details...here's a thread that might be helpful (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324093), it shows how to create a wash and then pick out details.
Welcome to the forum, by the way. Make sure to check out the Watercolor Handbook in the Learning Zone (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310721)...lots of demos and tutorials there.
And try not to worry so much about ruining something....every painting is a learning experience!

pjartwc
06-18-2013, 05:33 AM
Welcome to the watercolor forum. What a beautiful start. Yes it does look like a dessert scene. What I would suggest is to print a few copies of your painting and then draw and paint a few objects right on your printed copies. You won't damage your original and you will get a good idea of where you want to go. For example: I can see a few cactus's of different heights on the left side of the painting and perhaps one on the right. I hope you post your completed painting.

bigskycountry
06-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Good ideas from reikiart and Jan. One thing I sometimes do is reorient the paper and look at it upside down or sideways over a period of a couple of days or even longer to get ideas. In looking at yours upside down just now, I see a stormy sky overhead, a mesa bluff formation in the distance, sunlight streaming through a valley and the immediate foreground in a cloud shadow. -- That's today. Tomorrow I might see something entirely different. Anyway this has a lot of potential regardless of which way it's oriented and I look forward to seeing what you do with it. -- Lee

Cyntada
06-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Lee offers an excellent suggestion. I have a day job and often take half-baked paintings to work with me. They just sit there on my desk, near the monitor. I can see it off and on as I work, and usually by the end of the day I know what I need to do next. You might want to let this one rest for a while... it will probably tell you what's next!