PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Sunday 16th June 2013 **

shipbroker
06-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Morning all.

Have been waiting since 0245 for a new Wash starter but Nobody came....where is OllieOwl these weekends??

Weather App shows me that we are supposed to be 16C today with heavy rain but so far bright and clear and dry. In which case weeding is on the cards

Back later

geoff

Yorky
06-16-2013, 01:49 AM
Good morning all. Looks like we were lucky to have reasonable weather in Jersey, they have rain today.

Hope you are feeling better today Geoff.

Will post some photos later.

PS Dull but dry here after overnight rain 11C.

Doug

doppler
06-16-2013, 03:44 AM
Geoff, if you get up in the middle of your night, it's the middle of our day.

Doug, your sketches are so evocative.

We spent the day visiting wonderful people at Sandgate. Fish and chips. LOTS. Foreshore. I didn't recognise it. Twenty years IS a long time. :rolleyes: I was gobsmacked and sadly somewhat silent. There is now a wonderful pathway along Moreton Bay. Last time we were there it was wild and rocky beaches and scampering through the shallows near the mangroves. The dogs still did there.

I have been given a challenge. Which I shall keep :thumbsup: :heart:

Yorky
06-16-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi Annie, thanks. Yes things change, not always for the best.

I finally posted some photos of Jersey.
(http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19663998)
Doug

Lulu
06-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Evening everyone:wave:
A day of rain here, but not cold, got to 16C.
Have had a nice Sunday, family visiting and got a little painting done too.

Haven't even seen Peter on fb Geoff.

Annie, last time we had fish & chips was in the UAE and the time before that was at Noosa about 6 years before that! lol

Welcome home Doug! Lovely photos of Jersey. Nice sketches too!

Two funerals to go to tomorrow, one late morning and the other early afternoon, both elderly women.

CharM
06-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Good Sunday Morning in the cool rain... and Happy Fathers' Day to all our North American Dads... :heart:

Magoo is coming out for Dinner tonight and we hope to be able to barbeque... Mother Nature will make that decision for us.

Laundry day, too...

We went out yesterday and bought some new cushions for the dining room chairs. It's amazing how such a small thing cheers up a room. The old cushions will go to a thrift shop (with some other *stuff*).

Hi Geoff... one of the gardening tasks I absolutely hate is weeding... we did manage to get that done before it rained yesterday.

Doug, your Holiday photos are wonderful!

Annie, you just can't go back... Bill was cooking up a batch of fish and chips yesterday... :)

Tis the season of our lives, Lulu... please accept my condolences...

It's sure a slow morning here in the Wash... I hope Darla and Larry managed a little rest... my thoughts are with Henry and Lesley, too...

Wishing everyone the very best possible day... :grouphug:

Uschi
06-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Good Morning!!!!

It rained a bit over night and quite dull right now but sun is promised and a high of 22C. Have I mentioned that I LOVE these temperatures:)

I had planned to go to the kids' baseball game at 9:00 a.m. but too wet. I might go to the movie with Rita or I might have DIL's parents over for dinner, still undecided:rolleyes:

My shoulder, upper back, feels a bit off, probably did something starting the darn lawn mower yesterday. Mind you, the timing was perfect with the overnight rain/

JJ, your sketch is quite wonderful!!!!

Doug, your sketches, as always, are so good and in that short time, quite amazing!!!!

Char, very cute bee, made me wonder what was the theme to this juried show because you are usually so spot on with your subject choice??? As to your question in yesterday's wash - yes, I am selling the 5 x 7" paintings; just sold the Fuchsias; slow right now though, just as well because I am too busy with other things right now to do much painting.

Oh, just started pouring, my garden is being watered:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Was a little thundershower:)

Lynn, yes, I saw Bateman in the video:) Are you dancing today:crossfingers: :clap:

BBL when my brain is functioning better:) :wave: to ALL!!!
Uschi

painterbear
06-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Good Morning all,
It is almost 10:00 a.m. here on a wet, on and off again showers morning here in Oakwood. It is supposed to be like that all day, so our garden and grasses are being watered too, Uschi. ;)

Just got back from the grocery store where we bought two boxes of Michigan blueberries! They are so sweet right off the tray where they are drying after I washed them off. :D May freeze some of them, but will have the rest on cereal or in our fruit compote at lunchtime.

:music: HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL OUR WASHERS WHO ARE DADS!:heart: Hope you get lots of hugs and kisses from your progeny! :hear:

Tonight I am making a special steak dinner for Larry with beef tenderloin, mushrooms, and cream in the sauce among other things. I learned to make it after we had it in a restaurant called Tony's near Ramstein AFB in Germany. It was one of those dishes they prepared at the table side, so naturally I watched very carefully and wrote down what I saw him do as soon as we got home. A little experimenting and voila! Steak Tony! :D One of Larry's favorites. Served over egg noodles to soak up the sauce. For dessert, we bought two baklavas at the Lebanese restaurant we went to for lunch yesterday.

It was fun to go there, but I like Turkish dishes better. They are similar, of course, but the Lebanese use different spices than the Turks.

Lulu, As Char said, it is part of our passage and time of life to have to say "Goodbye" to friends we've made along the way. :o

Annie, Glad you had fun with your friends. I know what you mean about revisiting places from our youthful days. Larry and I had that hit us in the face when we went back to Penn State and saw all the changes that had taken place since we had been students there. :eek: It's one of the reasons we won't be returning to Italy or Turkey. We enjoy our memories of our time there too much to have them ruined with present day reality. ;)

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

shipbroker
06-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Afternoon all.....

Just come in from a couple of hours in the garden, yes, weeding..mainly rose bay willow herbs and wood avens but some random bird-started rowan saplings..which are a real pain as the keep coming back.....I finished with 30 minutes of gas-wanding on the dandelions who all smiled back at me! May go back out again later if I feel up to it.....

Syl.....Don't think Italy will have changed that much but understand from friends who have been going to Turkey for last 30 years how much different it is..culture as well as buildings. We like Italy and have been there often, Eileen won't do Turkey or any Arab state.

Yes Fathers Day it is ...never been celebrated in our Family ever but Claire bought me a book as a present but pleased to see no card. Understand it was 'invented' in Spokane...we all thought it was a Hallmark Cards 'thing'.
Ratified by Richard Nixon......well he does have a lot to answer for.

geoff

villagernb
06-16-2013, 10:15 AM
My, it's a quiet morning in the Wash!

All of the Dads must be enjoying breakfast in bed!:wink2:

Happy Fathers' Day to all of our Dads and Granddads.:heart:

It's a beautiful sunny morning here; high of 22 C today--my favourite temps. also, Uschi!:clap:

JJ, loved your beautiful sketch, and the paper in your sketchbook looks interesting; what type is it, please?:)

Annie, we used to enjoy visiting Cape Enrage near Hopewell Rocks when it was undeveloped. It is a wild, windswept shore with high, steep cliffs. When we first moved here, we visited the area about once a season, and I always marvelled (and appreciated) the fact that we were almost always alone there. It was so beautiful! A few years ago, the provincial government allowed it to be "developed" for tourism--that means paved parking, fences, entrance fees and :eek: a "zip line" defacing the beautiful coastal view. We have photos of the "undeveloped" coastline which can never be duplicated now. Doug is right--some change is NOT for the better!:crying:

Time to apply sunscreen for my walk! DH is out back with his brush cutter; he'll be gone on his bicycle later.

SYL

Anne

ScarletLake
06-16-2013, 10:29 AM
:wave: :wave: Hello:wave: :wave:

:heart: WISHING A VERY HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE DAD'S:heart:

We will be having a cookout with Dad later today. My BIL works till 5:30 so meeting at their house at 6pm for steak and potatos.

Lulu sorry to hear that you lost 2 friends - I got word Friday evening that one of our painting group passes away Friday morning. We had been watching her go down hill the past 1 1/2 years and she never made it back to the group after Christmas. Was placed in a nursing home about 1 month ago.

Darla - I don't know if I could put anything else in that basement. What a shame about the flooring. I'm glad that your art work and painting supplies were not destroyed. Hoping that your Dr. appt will give you some relief with your knee.

Doris - Sounds like you keep busy with your editing/proofreading assignments. I just finished a short online course on Effective Writing. Very good information. My favorite writer at present is Joan Didion.

Well off to get some breakfast

Everyone have a great day

Anita

Uschi
06-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Still waiting for the promised sun.

Of course I had to be reminded

HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all you dads!!!

Lulu, sorry about the loss of two friends, maybe it is time to get in with a younger crowd.

I am not one for "going back" either. Sorry you had such a disappointment Annie!!

Anne, you deserve that sun, you don't get that much of it - ENJOY!!!

Geoff, being a bit of a cynic (realist), ALL these special days were created for economic reasons BUT they do provide jobs (in China:evil::clear:

Perfect example is "Secretaries" day. The bosses HAD TO give in because lots of bad feelings would have been created if one secretary received some kind of present and not the other. Thank goodness IT was created after my time as secretary. By the way, does it still exist or is it called "Administrative Assistance Day" now????

Sylvia, I think you should give cooking classes, could be a double whammie, paint what you cooked:D

So DIL's stepdad is being looked after on his special day which leaves me free to go to the movie with Rita. We are seeing "the Saphieres", something light about a female singing group. Don't want anything heavy with Rita right now.

Hope your dad is doing fine Anita, enjoy your meal with him!!

Uschi

Scene Chaser
06-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Good Day All,

On and off sun here after the light rain last night.

Nice photos, Doug. Haven't seen the sketches, yet.

JJ, great sketch. the rocks in the foreground.

Sylvia, so are you going to share the recipe? :) Sounds delicious.

Lulu, my condolences for the loss of your friends.

Hallmark Cards 'thing'.
Ratified by Richard Nixon......well he does have a lot to answer for.

geoff
:lol: :lol: :lol: Right you are, Geoff.

I'll try to do more yard work today.

Bill

LynnM
06-16-2013, 01:01 PM
:wave: Sun is trying to break through here, but I think it will be on and off today. No, I'm not going dancing today, could hardly walk last night my hip is so sore. I guess it got jarred with the fall, and of course that was the knee I fell on. So, back to square one. Hard to believe I was dancing comfortably 2 weeks ago. But time will help, and I will go back to the leg exercises once the pain is better.

Lovely sketch, JJ! and thank you for that video about Hobbiton, wonderful scenery, I will have to watch the movie now. I had been avoiding it because of the violence, but now I am curious.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! to all involved. My kids will be doing something with their dad, I am sure.

Going back is hard to do....I once visited the farm site where I spent 6 years as a child. There was a modern house and barn and it was very hard to see it as the old homestead, it was like being in a different place.

Weeding, well, thank goodness I don't have to do that anymore! If I had any the resident squirrel would get rid of them....I found dirt scattered on the floor of my balcony, and realized one was back, digging in my pots. This is a younger one, though, it was easily scared off! The old grey character is no more, I am sure, he was much more persistent. Now I have every inch of bare soil covered by rocks or, in one tub, an iron tea pot stand with a grating, the plants have to squeeze out amongst the barriers!

Dinner sounds delish, Sylvia!

Lovely photos and sketches, Doug, I feel like I have been away too :)

Greetings to all here and all to come, have a good day!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Yorky
06-16-2013, 01:07 PM
(((Lynn))) I pray you will be back to fitness soon and no permanent damage has been done.

Doug

Uschi
06-16-2013, 01:58 PM
On and off day too, would be great for bicycling if it werent for the Iris painting I started - HAPPINESS IS.....:D The flower is done and I soooo enjoyed painting it. Time for lunch and then the background.

OOOOHHHHH Lynn, I am soooo sorry!!! What a shame!!!!!! Big HUG for you!!

:wave: Uschi

JudyL
06-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi :wave: Just back from our walk/run, Jack runs, I walk, but we timed it beautifully, and met at the light by the park and walked to Starbucks together, they know us by name now. :rolleyes: When we get there they have his Vente Latte with an extra shot ready with his name and a smiley face on it :lol:
I did get him a gift, he, as usual, told me exactly what to get. Hint, came from Home Depot.

Doug your photos from Jersey made me want to add that to our trip in October, hummmmmm.

Need to take the shower now, bbl

villagernb
06-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Back from my walk--a lovely sunlit afternoon, but cloud cover is moving in now.

Lynn, I hope you feel better soon. These physical set-backs are so frustrating, especially when you were doing so well! (((( ))))
I wanted to thank you for posting the link to the "Reflections" film. I just watched it, while having my coffee; it made me cry. I'm going to share it with my son and soon-to-be DIL. She is a Sierra Club member.

Hugs for all the ill and broken,

Anne

ScarletLake
06-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Hello Everyone

Lynn - I have missed how you had a fall but sure do wish you well in recovering.

I watched a very good documentary on PBS online from the Independant Filmmakers Lens. It was called Detropia and can be viewed thru June 17th.

It was a wonderful documentary on the fall of the City of Detroit. I'd be curious on what some of you would think about it. Great film. So if anyone watches it please let me know.

The next one is out in August and it will be called The Waiting Room about the uninsured medical coverage in America and how health care is for them.

I have the greatest respect for those making these documentaries.

I've got my potatoes in the oven and laundry going and just put a bottle of wine in to chill for dinner tonight.

We had rain earlier and it is cloudy now but still a good day.

Hope everyone is enjoying their day.

Anita

shipbroker
06-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Evening all.

Well the forecast heavy rain didn't come in any form. So lots if weedung and lots of Sunday papers reading, so all in all a pretty peaceful day.

Goodnight all

geoff

Lulu
06-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Morning all, damp but mild.

Thanks to those who offered condolences. Yes, Char, 'tis the season of our lives.

Eileen won't do Turkey or any Arab state.

How very sad.:(

Happy Father's Day to those who celebrate it today, ours is in September here.

LynnM
06-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Doug, no, I don't think there is any permanent damage, I was able to improve from this condition over the last 2 years, so I hope can do it again. Just my own stupidity, too, so am being very careful of how and where I walk.

Thanks Uschi, hugs always appreciated! can't wait to see your iris, I hope you have photos.

Glad you liked the video, Anne, I was really swept away by it too. And I think it may have had some effect. Thanks for your concern.

It was a silly fall, Anita, just due to my not taking enough care of where I was walking....can't to that at my age! Sounds like an interesting film about Detroit, I love the history docs.

Lulu, I watched rugby last night! was a bit depressing though, Canada was thoroughly drubbed by Ireland. I guess after beating Fiji they thought Ireland wouldn't be so hard, anyway, live and learn :eek: Sorry about your losses, were these people you see during your volunteer work? It is hard to see them go, but so often it is a release. That was the case here when the lady who had had a stroke died, she was ready to go.

I have the soccer on now, just as background. Rather rooting for Mexico, Italy always does so well.

Looking forward to getting out with my daughter tomorrow. She is on her summer break, and we'll be able to spend a bit more time together. She is taking me to get shelving supports for my kitchen, after two years here I know how I want to improve it.

Have a good evening!

Uschi
06-16-2013, 04:22 PM
My afternoon pleasure giver

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2013/10602-IrisOriginal.jpg

and the white columbine I bought the other day, they are called Dove Columbine.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2013/10602-Columbine.jpg

Anita, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

:wave: Uschi

painterbear
06-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi all again,
Got all my prep work done for dinner shallots diced, organic mushrooms cleaned and sliced (imported from Canada!), parsley minced. Now it is just a matter of measuring the liquids and sauteing the meats, etc.

Uschi,
Your Iris is gorgeous! Bathed in sunlight. :D Those white Columbines are stunning. Their leaves are beautiful as well as the flowers. :D

Bill,
You got it. ;)

Lynn, Ouch, hope your aches and pains go away quickly.

:wave: to all who were here between my visits. Gotta go and do a bit more around the house.

SYL,

Sylvia

Yorky
06-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Beautiful iris Uschi and a beautiful Aquilegia.

Doug

villagernb
06-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Uschi, your lovely Iris is giving pleasure to all of us!:thumbsup:

And I love that columbine! I'll definitely keep an eye out for it at my nursery, but they likely won't have it until next season, if it is a new variety.

Sylvia, you are making me drool!:wink2:

Anne

LynnM
06-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Lovely painting, Uschi! and that is a beautiful columbine, never seen one that colour.

Thanks, Sylvia, I'm a bit better tonight, hope it continues that way.

Ellen in Ont
06-16-2013, 06:46 PM
:wave: everyone. Popping in for a minute while Brian runs for supper. He gets the choice tonight since it is Fathers Day.:rolleyes:

The morning started off at 20 but the temp has been dropping all day. It is now 11 and still falling. It is supposed to be a low of 2 tomorrow night.:rolleyes:

I worked a 12 hour shift yesterday and then came home to babysit Max for 15 hours. I needed a little nap this afternoon.:D

Here is another photo from the wedding where you can see my dress a little better. The wind was blowing sideways so hard my hair was flattened for most of the photos.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2013/46258-family.jpg
Brian will be back in a minute so I'll cut this short. I'm dayshift tomorrow to make up the shift exchange I got for today so I could babysit.:rolleyes:

villagernb
06-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Ellen, what a GREAT wedding photo! It looks like you all had a wonderful time. I love your dress. It is a gorgeous colour. You are a fab-looking Mother of the Groom!:thumbsup: Thank you for posting this!

Anne

laudesan
06-16-2013, 10:23 PM
I hope all the fathers celebrating had a great day.

I had a quiet days, ending with a fabulous roast beef dinner at Tania's. It was very fresh last night, 12 degrees driving home. I enjoyed it. I had taken my coast, because I thought I might be chilly, but it is a dry cold, absolutely fabulous. Crisp and fresh..

JJ, loved your beautiful sketch, and the paper in your sketchbook looks interesting; what type is it, please?:) Thank you Anne, it is a Moleskine sketchbook 8.5 x 5.5 inches. It has gorgeous creamy pages. I have two like this, a friends mother brought over from America for me.

Thank you too, Uschi, and Bill. Love your Iris Uschi!

Lynn, thanks, and The Hobbits was a terrific movie. I don't do violence either, and I so enjoyed it. I can't wait for the sequel.. :grouphug:

Lulu, sorry for your losses. No words really, just sorry. :heart:

Ellen, that is just the most beautiful photo!!!!! :heart: You all look fabulous!!!!!!!

I had better move myself.

It is midday and I need to check my bank account, go buy the weeks groceries, and sketch...

Later.........