PDA

View Full Version : WIP Progress Oil Sticks

lalflen
06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi All, I have been working on this for a few months now (I'm going to conveniently blame it on my day job). It is for a good friend and I'm being pretty fussy about it. It is about 90% done. The trees are only roughed in and the I need to put dune grass on the left side to balance it a bit, but other than that... 16 x 20 on canvas - oil sticks/bars only. No brushes. Just sticks and fingers

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2013/113039-IMG_0718_800x634.jpg

Let me now if you have any c or cs.

:wave:

Flycatcher10
06-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Hi Linda: oh man this is looking so good - your friend will be thrilled with their painting. What a wonderful gift.

I really like your foreground grass - soft and nice light strokes, works really well with the atmosphere and I really like your shadows. Nice trees on the right-side beautifully shaped and three which is a nice odd number, and wonderful balance of colors, you may want to consider adding just a little bit more of your lower values on the back and undersides to give the trees just a tiny bit more depth. Lovely distance achieved as well.

Love those oil sticks - you seem to be having so much fun with them and it shows in your paintings. This is a wonderful piece of art!

robertsloan2
06-15-2013, 11:53 PM
I love the light in this. It's beautiful and you're right, nearly done. Love it.

Pat Isaac
06-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Nicely done and it is a wonderful gift. I especially like the sky, soft and sunlit.

Pat

crafor
06-16-2013, 06:43 PM
It's wonderful that you can get as detailed as those wispy grasses. Your friend will love this. It's an intriguing scene.
Do you recall how many layers you have here? How long has it taken to dry?
Ella

E-J
06-19-2013, 06:12 AM
This is lovely, Linda. It's got a beautiful soft, delicate quality to it. The texture of the sky is really appealing, as is the hint of warm pink light.

To my eye, the horizon line appears to curve down slightly towards the sand dune. But I suspect you haven't finished the dune yet and will be restating that area.

You have a lucky friend. :)

Frostie
06-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Linda, what a lovely painting. I love the beautiful green shades you have chosen to use.
Helen

lalflen
06-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.
E-J, thank you for pointing out the dip in the horizon, I didn't see it until you pointed it out. I will fix it!
Ella, the sky has between 3 and 4 layers (red, yellow, 2 blues and white) and the grass has 5 to 6 (red, yellow, Blues, yellow, ochre, more blues)
Helen, I don't use greens, just mix up my yellow, reds and blues!
I'm letting it set for a few days and then will try to finish it up!
Thank you again for your comments!

Flycatcher10
06-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Linda - excellent information. I used to mix my own greens and found I was using up too much tooth.

I love your greens, you have some gorgeous shades!

Do the oil sticks use up tooth? If you are laying down and blending with fingers, tortillions, etc. then are you able to mix for greens because the oil sticks applications dry and you can paint & mix on top of the dried surface?

This will be a stunning painting when you are finished.

lalflen
06-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Hi Mary,

There are a couple of tools in my arsenal that I use regularly, ColourShapers (all different sizes), rags and a palette knife. After all the red (dry) and yellow (dry) I start mixing it up with Manganese Blue, Ultramarine, yellow, ochre and naples yellow and if it is too gooey on the canvas, I scrap with the palette knife OR I might mash it in with a palette knife. If I've got a spot that is too BLUE, I might dab it with yellow and sort of smash it in with a palette knife. I do the feathering with the colour shapers and if things are too intense, sometimes I just wipe it down with a rag. So, that takes care of the tooth problem.

The sky is another process all together. I start out at the top with Manganese, Ultramarine, Cerulean and blend those around the top, sides and trees and the add the white. Again, if it is TOO MUCH of anything, I can scrape it back, but what I usually do (and this is fun), is I put on a nitrile glove and just move it around with the tips of my fingers (finger painting).

So there you have it. It really adds a fun component to painting.
Hope this helps!
Happy Friday!

lorigina
06-25-2013, 08:08 PM
This is very painterly and beautiful. Linda, imho, greens always look better when they are mixed by the artist. I have at least 8 green oil pastels, and none look realistic to me. I still have to mix with another color.

laika
07-07-2013, 03:57 PM
A very pleasant scene! I like the texture that's visible in the sky. Is that a characteristic of the oil bars?

lalflen
07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
A very pleasant scene! I like the texture that's visible in the sky. Is that a characteristic of the oil bars?

Thank you for your kind comments. Yes, the oil bars can provide texture! Sometimes, I use a palette knife to flatten it out!

Hope that you can give therm as try. They are great fun

laika
07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Hope that you can give therm as try. They are great fun

I tried some samples a few years back. I remember what a pleasure it was to spread on a hardboard panel with a knife. A very interesting material.

Looking forward to more of your oil stick work!

os2013
07-11-2013, 05:06 AM
Looking great. I like the shadow and light in the trees - looks very real and at the same time masterfully painted. Greens are awesome!
Do you plan to do more work on the sky?

lalflen
07-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Looking great. I like the shadow and light in the trees - looks very real and at the same time masterfully painted. Greens are awesome!
Do you plan to do more work on the sky?

Thank you, I still have to put in some tall sea grass, fix the horizon, and add another layer to the sky. I should get working on it this weekend.

lalflen
07-14-2013, 01:06 PM
I think that it is Done!! I straightened the horizon and blended the sky, toned down the greens in the back and played with the tree. Let me know if there is anything else that I missed. This was so much fun that I am working on another one!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2013/113039-IMG_1119_800x623.jpg

Happy Weekend! :clap:

Flycatcher10
07-14-2013, 01:43 PM
My all time favorite of yours Linda! I love this piece - the distance you achieved is spectacular, the mixed greens for grasses and tree leaves are excellent and love your shadows for the trees and hillside.

It was great watching this WIP progress! Congratulations your friend will love this painting!

Pat Isaac
07-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Lovely piece, Linda dittto to all Mary said and it does look like you enjoyed it.

Pat

Yannse
07-19-2013, 12:42 AM
It is a beautiful painting. For some reason, it looks more like oil painting. It is good or no for oil pastel I don't know. I am not judge the painting, just get confuse of the oil pastel stick . Some stigma of oil pastel are lost.