PDA

View Full Version : How much would you say you have spend on watercolor pan/tubes alone?

Phthalocyanine
06-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Over the course of your interest in it? Not including papers, tapes/staples, etc...

virgil carter
06-15-2013, 04:30 PM
I just priced a purchase of 16 37ml tubes of American Journey paint from Cheap Joes. It was just under $200.

How much over a lifetime? Who can say?

FWIW, the larger the tube the cheaper the price per ml.

Sling paint,
Virgil

WthrLady
06-15-2013, 05:28 PM
I stagger at the thought, and the total.

Brindle
06-15-2013, 08:57 PM
What Caryl said. Easily approaching $1,000 USD just for paint since I started painting in watercolors in 2010. Not that I NEEDED to buy that much but I wanted to explore a lot of brands and colors in my quest to "settle" on a personal palette. It so happened that I could afford it in bits and pieces, especially taking advantage of online coupons or gift certificates (hubby is well-trained by now!). Some of the paints I bought I ended up not caring for and those got passed onto friends.

CharM
06-15-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm sure there's quite a bit of money tied up in my collection of tubes.

I did buy my first two sets of tubes on ebay and got them for a pittance. But, I paint enough that I actually use up colours... and then, there's those new colours that I simply must try... :)

But, I don't feel in the least guilty. I don't drink, smoke or buy lots of clothes and shoes... We don't eat out much... Painting is my happy retirement!

Antiqueteacher
06-15-2013, 10:26 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did my DH put you up to this question??? :confused: :lol: :lol:

If Daniel Smith ever needs any extra paints, he always calls me. . .:angel: :lol:
(I have been known to use them up, too.)

Katherine :music: :music:

M.L. Schaefer
06-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Hello, Thalo. Are you trying to work out a budget for your painting? The best way to do that is decide HOW you paint/want to paint (glazing, direct, loose) and decide WHAT you want to paint (florals, landscape, wildlife) AND that will help you DECIDE your palette. From there, decide on a limited palette or a not-so-limited palette. THEN go shopping. The best way to decide on the manufacturer is to start with a very limited palette to see how different manufacturers' paints behave (they are pretty well consistent through that manufacturer's line). Then go shopping!

Me, I (like CharM) don't or can't spend a lot of $$$ on other things. I can't have meals out, can't travel, don't buy clothes, don't buy high-tech, etc and etc....I do buy paint! At the moment, I am stocking up on paint and paper, because, by next year, no more $$$ to buy even that.

The responses you may receive will depend upon the painter's choice of style and palette, especially limited. If one paints florals, landscapes, pets, wildlife the palette will include colors for all of those.........

What I spend? To me, a bit like asking how much is your paycheck...one doesn't like to brag, one doesn't like to be embarrassed, one doesn't like to feel poor........ One doesn't like to be the source of somebody else's unhealthy urge to gossip about just how much you earn..... Just my two cents.

:heart: Margarete

graesea
06-16-2013, 02:48 PM
More dollars than my weight, shoe size, and lifespan combined.:clear:

D'Lady
06-16-2013, 03:21 PM
When I first started painting I probably spent way too much on paint and supplies in general. But...thanks to great advice from people here, I don't think I wasted much money. The stuff I bought is nearly all still good all these years later, and eventually it will be used up. I also received a lot of items as gifts from people who wanted to see me continue, and I much appreciate all of them.

But...when my husband lost his job and hurt his back, our income hit the floor, and now I've seriously limited what I use to just those items I believe I can afford to replace easily. It's not as much "fun" to have to say "no" to all the gorgeous colors and new papers and beautiful brushes, but...I am doing a better job this time 'round learning to use what I have in ways that accomplish more, rather than buying something new instead.

Plus...I've discovered there's something viscerally satisfying in "shopping my stash" and finding that I really can do without some of the items I thought were indispensable before.

CJMonty
06-17-2013, 06:45 AM
I dread to think how much I have spent on Pans and Tubes of Paint over the course of time since I started Watercolour painting. As a general rule if it is something that you enjoy doing and get a lot of Satisfaction and Relaxation doing it, then it has to be good for your Health and Well Being which you just can not put a price on.

I also do Soft Pastels, and with the $ spent on all of my Pastels and Papers added to my Watercolour stuff I think I would have a Coranary so I wouldn't even try to work it out.

It is more important what they can do for you, both satisfaction wise and relaxation wise than how much they are costing you unless you are forced to be on an horrendously tight budget.

Take Care and enjoy your painting.
Love Carolynn.

oty
06-17-2013, 08:11 AM
About 500 US$ up to this point - but up to now I have only painted on a very irregular basis.
I started with some relatively cheap student watercolors (maybe 60-70 US$ in value in total), then moved to American Journey and N&W (about 15 tubes from both), and the last acquisition was of about 30 tubes from Daniel Smith.
I didn't experiment very much with paints, but I think from now on I will stick to W&N and Daniel Smith - I like both of them very much.

Undergoose
06-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I went overboard in an effort to learn and experience as many different types of paint as I could. The glaring hole in my experience arsenal is the Daniel Smith stuff, I've heard it's good, but I don't imagine it's that much better than the stuff I already have, so I'm drawing the line (uhhh...for now).

Moving forward, I've found the brands and colors I love and that work for me, so now it's just upkeep of the palette as I use things up, and that's actually pretty cheap.

As DragonLady said above, however, I'll be shopping my stash for a couple of years to use up my reviewing and learning-curve materials. I have a lot of colors that don't fit into my main working palette, so I'll probably just hang onto them for special projects. Echoing Char and the others, this is kinda what I spend my money on, I don't drink or go out much, I eat in mostly, and painting, over all my other hobbies, is what I enjoy the most and what I'm pouring all of my 'hobby energy' into in order to make a go of a creative career instead of continuing to grind away on the corporate IT wheel.

Anything spent on art, to me, is an investment in not only my financial future, but also my emotional, spiritual, recreational and most likely *sigh* my habitual future. "Walk away from the paint tubes...one day at a time, brother..." hehe

Long story short? I've spent just enough. :p

Saint Ragdoll
06-17-2013, 01:20 PM
I love color and love experimenting with colors so I do spend a it on paint, especially Daniel Smith paints...(Karl, you just cant go to Seattle and NOT go to the DS store....)
I do shop my stash first when I need a specific color and then look to maybe buying ...I have 6 plastic boxes with lids, , shoebox size, that I've labled Reds, Yellows, Greens, Blues, Purple/violets and browns/earths....and store my tubes in those so I can easily find them.
When I first began I shopped ebay and there were some astonishing bargains to be had, huge lots of WN and Davinci paints....and in with the colors I thought I needed there were lots of others so I devised my storage. Pans, those purchase and those I've poured are in different boxes.
I dont consider any money spent on paint a waste...I learn something from each one...and I sometimes when in a rut, or feeling down I get a sheet of 90lb, clip it to board and get out ALL the shoeboxes of paint.....and just go crazy throwing, splattering paint onto that paper, no ideas, no drawing just glorious color and more color mixing, running, dripping to form more colors!!!!! It always makes me feel better and ocassionaly I learn a new mix that I can use.
Buying a tube or two of paint doesnt really cost that much money but the value , in other ways, that it gives me far outweighs the money spent on paint, or any art supplies, really. And that value I find to be more and more important to me as I get older...

Teresa
Saint RGdoll

Phthalocyanine
06-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Hello, Thalo. Are you trying to work out a budget for your painting? The best way to do that is decide HOW you paint/want to paint (glazing, direct, loose) and decide WHAT you want to paint (florals, landscape, wildlife) AND that will help you DECIDE your palette. From there, decide on a limited palette or a not-so-limited palette. THEN go shopping. The best way to decide on the manufacturer is to start with a very limited palette to see how different manufacturers' paints behave (they are pretty well consistent through that manufacturer's line). Then go shopping!

Me, I (like CharM) don't or can't spend a lot of $$$ on other things. I can't have meals out, can't travel, don't buy clothes, don't buy high-tech, etc and etc....I do buy paint! At the moment, I am stocking up on paint and paper, because, by next year, no more $$$ to buy even that.

The responses you may receive will depend upon the painter's choice of style and palette, especially limited. If one paints florals, landscapes, pets, wildlife the palette will include colors for all of those.........

What I spend? To me, a bit like asking how much is your paycheck...one doesn't like to brag, one doesn't like to be embarrassed, one doesn't like to feel poor........ One doesn't like to be the source of somebody else's unhealthy urge to gossip about just how much you earn..... Just my two cents.

Hi there.
I've already bought some paints:
PV19 - PR209 - PY110 - PY151 - PG36
PB15:1 - PB29 - PV15 - PV19 - PV19+PG7

I don't know exactly what I'll be painting. I just would like a general all-purpose palette with high-chroma so if it needs to be duller, I can do it by mixing.

Quinacridone Gold
06-18-2013, 12:23 AM
You have a really nice start with those colours. You would do really well to mix them up and find out what you can do with them.

You can make a great range of reds with PV 19+PR209 so you don't need to buy any crimsons or other reds.

You can make a huge range of bright oranges with PR 209 + PY110, and dull oranges and corals with your bright yellow (I can't read the pigment number) and PV19 as well.

You can mix bright greens with the bright yellow and PG36 or PB15, and dull greens with PY 110 and PB29.

You can make nice purples with PB29 and PV19

Your neutral tint will darken all your colours without dulling as a black would do.

If I were using your palette I would miss a nice burnt sienna (PBr7) to make a range of earth tones, skin tones and to mix with the PG36 for extra greens. Burnt Sienna + Ultramarine is a wonderful combination for greys, browns, deep browns etc. With PB15 it will make cooler browns. The best ones I have come across are Daniel Smith or Da Vinci. The other option is to go with Winsor and Newton PR101 - a more orange version. I am not a fan of this one but half of Wet Canvas may be.

So I think you have a great range to learn from, explore and get to know. If you come across a colour you can't mix, then you may need another tube, but you really are best to limit your palette and learn first - your paintings will be more unified.

M.L. Schaefer
06-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Hey, Thalo!

Jane (QuinGold) is so right, you can make many beautiful mix colors.

But, when listing your pigment, it's a REALLY good idea to say what Manufacturer and the Color Name, along with the Pigment Number. It helps us better visualize the color....i.e., PV19 (that's a goodie to try to figure out which one you mean!):)

I love highly pigmented high chroma color because, yes, it is much easier to dull a color than it is to "reach" for a saturation or deepness that was never there to begin with!

And, shall I say it? You are a brave soul and courageous soul for starting out with Thalo colors :eek:. So staining, so bright...it took me some time to learn how to work with them. But, with many of the loose paintings on WetCanvas (that I so love and are so beautiful, and so undoable - for me) you need
those high thalos!

A bit of a warning though: be SURE, if you are using a limited palette, that you marry your colors together correctly. For instance, the wrong yellow with the wrong red, will look beautiful together WET, but when they DRY, a dulling can happen that will be so very disappointing!

M.L. Schaefer
06-18-2013, 01:14 PM
A quick P.S. - By "dulled" I think you mean "Grayed." I hate the look of a dulled color, I love the look of a grayed color. Grayed means it has not lost its vibrancy, just becomes a new and wonderful color, it is still vibrant in its own way. Dulled means the color has lost its vibrancy. It's a bit difficult for me to explain.....

alansam
06-18-2013, 02:15 PM
I spend a frightening amount,I have two of each of all the earth colours in my pans,, but I am now beginning to let one become nearly empty .and try and get every bit out of those corners ,before filling it up //hee hee .the thing is I hate seeing an empty pan ,its like a sickness .I just have to fill it and the next one its the same colour never gets used ,,,help me some one

M.L. Schaefer
06-18-2013, 02:56 PM
I do LOVE my earth colors, too! Ah, alansam, your working backwards, its the colors wells that stay full that you need to worry about!!!!:evil: Fill the empty ones up!:clap:

Phthalocyanine
06-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Hi Schaefer,

I know about making sure to mix warm reds with warm yellows, cool yellows with cool blues and a warm blue to a cool red for purples.

I'm currently using M.Graham paints, and it's as followed: (I remember the exact order I got them in)

||||||||||||| Azo Yellow - PY151

||||||||||||| Quin Red - PR209

||||||||||||| Thalo Blue - PB15:1

||||||||||||| Neutral Tint - PV19+PG7

||||||||||||| Thalo Green YS - PG36

||||||||||||| Ultra Violet - PV15

||||||||||||| Indian Yellow - PY110

||||||||||||| Quin Rose - PV19 RS

||||||||||||| Ultramarine - PB29

||||||||||||| Quin Violet - PV19 BS

My favored blue is Thalo; though I've been advised and told by instructors and peers that Ultramarine is better liked in general but for whatever reason, I don't like it on it's own.

maryinasia
06-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I haven't spent much on watercolor paints. A little goes a long way, and the leftovers go so far.

I don't have very many tubes, and don't see the need for lots.

M.L. Schaefer
06-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Oh, Mary, how I wish I could say that! I remain, all sighs when I hear that!

Thalo! It seems you have a great variety. A while back, I made a great eBay buy of some Madden watercolors (manufactured by Da Vinci). In any event, included were one Thalo (regular shade, whatever that is) and one Intense Thalo (which is Thalo Red Shade)...I've been experimenting with them both! Once upon a time, I would never have considered it!

My favorite blue is Ultramarine (I have the O/H Ultramarine Blue Deep, which I can't do without, an Ultramarine "regular," and Ultramarine Blue (Green Shade.) I would give up all my other blues to keep those three!

If you become a color fanatic (as so many of us are) you will see the value of different colors and add a few more colors (but take a lesson from Mary, use discretion). I paint so many subjects (or attempt to paint so many subjects), I have many colors as a result. Luckily, my fur colors work well for landscapes as do my floral colors. But to me, color is like fine wine, my eyes see the nuances (its a blessing and a curse). And it is a lot of fun (color shopping) if one can't do too much of anything else:evil: . And its such a challenge (a good thing for me) and so much fun to work with different colors. I believe this all its called rationalizing:evil: ! And, many times I slap myself on the side of my head and say "woman what ARE you thinking," and wished I were like Mary!

D'Lady
06-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I know about making sure to mix warm reds with warm yellows, cool yellows with cool blues and a warm blue to a cool red for purples.

I'd try mixing them with opposites, too, just to see what you get. On my nine-color palette, I get nicer (IMO) purples if I break that rule. I also get a whole second range of greens. Only the orange hues are best mixed warm/warm or cool/cool.

Of course...your mileage will vary, as your palette is different than mine.

Phthalocyanine
06-19-2013, 12:43 AM
I see, I'll give it a go.

I do have a question on brand loyalty, how does one 'break' it?

I've been interested in PR122 and PO48 from Maimeri and W&N but I've never been able to convince myself to buy other brands.

M.L. Schaefer
06-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Thalo, Magenta (PR122) is a color I can't do without...not every manufacturer carries it. My favorite Magenta is Old Holland, but that is quite pricey. You may wish to ask this question in a new Thread. :)

D'Lady
06-19-2013, 02:51 AM

I've been interested in PR122 and PO48 from Maimeri and W&N but I've never been able to convince myself to buy other brands.

If you're really interested in those two, than just buy those two, and try them out. Once you have 'em, open 'em up and try them with your other paints. Make some color charts, try a sketch or two, make a flat wash or three on some inexpensive paper, and label them with the brand and pigment.

Later, try those same two in some other brand, and repeat. Compare the new ones with the old, and choose the ones you favor. Repeat as you feel comfortable, always remembering you aren't stuck with any of them -you can always go back to the brand you know the best, as long as they carry the pigment you want.

Quinacridone Gold
06-21-2013, 12:07 AM

I have used Daniel Smith since 1996, but they don't make a PR122 so I went shopping as I really wanted to stretch my primary reds between a magenta and an orange (Transparent Pyrrol orange D.S. was my choice for a warm red!)

For the PR122 I tried W&N, Daler Rowney, Old Holland and Schmincke, and like the Schmincke best, Old Holland second best as it dried with a sheen. I also tried a lot of different Permanent Alizarin alternatives as I do like to have a crimson in my palette. I wanted single pigment - tried W&N, lots of different D.S. and a bunch of others. Settled on Carmine D.S. as a lovely single pigment crimson though W&N was good too - just too expensive in Australia.

I have also been able to compare a range of other brands with my favourite Daniel Smith colours and have found some other great ones, so have added Da Vinci paints to my collection.

The only reason for loyalty is if you can buy in bulk and save money. If different brands have the characteristics and colour you want, mix and match away. I look for colours that re-wet well once dried.

(Keep in mind, I teach and make up palettes for my students so nothing goes to waste)

janinco
06-21-2013, 12:22 PM
I got my first set of M. Grahams for about $5 a tube (I bought 12). I added a new color every couple of months and have about 30 now (M. Graham, Daniel Smith and Schminke). My treat is to go to the art store and pick out a tube of something unusual like a Daniel Smith PrimaTek. I figure most people spend more on Starbucks in a week than I spend on paint in a few months.

Jan