PDA

View Full Version : The River Side

thevaliantx
06-15-2013, 03:09 AM
This is based off a photo of the Licking River at Berry, Kentucky. It's just under a bridge where I took the photo. I did this on Pacon sketch paper, using Crayola OP's. Trying to use them up. I had no idea how to create the water using the limited colors I had.

Pat Isaac
06-15-2013, 09:03 AM
It does look like flowing water, especially around the rocks. It might help to have a point of reference as to what is being reflected in the water.

Pat

Flycatcher10
06-15-2013, 01:11 PM
You have produced nicely shaped rocks, and I do detect water movement.

How many layers of oil pastels do you apply and do you blend or are you laying in oil pastel colors as stand-alone? Are your layers thin or are they heavily applied?

thevaliantx
06-15-2013, 03:13 PM
With those Crayola OP's I was trying to blend with my finger, and the sketch paper has little tooth. For the water scene it is a section (folded away) from a larger photograph. Further out into the water, and to the right, is the other side of the river. Just to MY right is the bridge support. Further up the bank on the left is a bunch of really ugly branches, something that I'm sure a graphite artist would enjoy spending a thousand years working on. :lol: (no offense intended toward pencil artists, I just do not have the patience or the eye for detail to do that) I think I'm only doing doing two layers, if that. Should I be pressing harder with the OP's?

Flycatcher10
06-15-2013, 04:04 PM
My only suggestion is try it. I would experiment - here is a suggestion.

On a piece of paper, first lay down a thin layer of Oil Pastel, blend with your finger, then lay down the second thin layer, blend with your finger. I would do this until you are no longer able to pay down OP - meaning no tooth left to accept layers of OP.

Second, on the same piece of paper, lay down a thick layer of OP and blend, then add another layer and blend. Begin to see and feel the difference in application, how many layers and what it feels like.

Let me know if this helps.

thevaliantx
06-15-2013, 04:40 PM
I wonder what you all do with your sketchbooks. How much is TOO much to put into a sketch? I remember reading something about this elsewhere on the web the other day. That fine line where the sketch itself turns into a piece. Semantics really throw me a loop. I wish I could just live life simply, but that never works, seemingly. I think I'm going to try using the sketchbook to do something that I would to paint, and go from there.

Flycatcher10
06-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Rarely do I paint sketches, but if I did it's because I want to learn how to paint a thing, like bread (like Yuske) or a bottle or a vase, fence, a rusted truck, etc.

If I was looking to do a landscape, then in my case I sketch it out the painting surface that I'll be using for the actual piece, do my underpainting and then start painting.

Make sense? If you were looking to paint "a tree" w/nothing else that would be a sketch. If you want to add grass, hillside, stream, etc. that begins to feel like a painting to me.

Here is my bottom line, and I have no formal art studies, whatever feels right to me. Many great artists, became great because they gave themselves permission to break the rules and just experiment. Monet and his Haystacks paintings - how many did he paint, some 100. Because he wanted to study light and color, during specific times of the day and year - many of his peers questioned his tactics and why such a great volume of the same subject. Today, no one questions what his experiment ultimately led the art world to - a better understanding of the power that light has on a subject.

I'm going out to work in the yard now - all the best for fun painting. Clear your mind, pick up a stick and begin to make a mark - then move that mark with the stick, or your finger or a flatsided knife, or a tortillum - oh, look at what it does!