PDA

View Full Version : Nested Eggs

ckb
06-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Help...I need help with the twigs! I may actually be beyond help, but heck each time I try something I learn a little more. At least I'm not as afraid to put the brush to the paper :wave: All suggestions, criticisms are very welcome!
Charlene

ps I'm posting from my ipad, so I apologize if this is upside down:eek:

D'Lady
06-14-2013, 11:03 PM
I'll lend you a hand by fixing your image. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/72261-nested_eggs.jpg

pjartwc
06-15-2013, 05:03 AM
Hi Charlene, You picked a very hard subject. I think your main problem is value. I googled "birds nest watercolor" and came up with this example:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2013/116333-il_fullxfull.424296449_rynk.jpg
Notice the variation in value. Also notice the number of straight twigs this painting has compared to yours. And, see the intricate brush work this artist did. All in all, yours isn't that bad. My nests usually come out looking like a patchwork quilt. I hope this helped.

ckb
06-15-2013, 05:51 AM
Yup that helps...maybe I can lift some stuff out and darken the negative space? And yah..that's me-pick something that's difficult, when I'm not ready for it . And thanks for fixing the photo :)

diamondsutra
06-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Hi! Eggs look nice.

In my opinion, you're painting what you think and not what you see.

Look at this picture:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2013/724272-BirdsNestBlog.jpg

If you squint your eyes, you'll see most of the detail of the twigs disappears. So don't paint them! I see one highlight near the eggs and four or five that surround the eggs. To make your painting more realistic, you will need to paint big masses of brown that SUGGEST a bird's nest. Put in a few highlights and shadows that show hints of twigs, and you're set.

ckb
06-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Ok. I think I'm done with this...maybe even if I'm not officially done. Sometimes I just need to learn when to fold 'em. I added some more straight twigs, some varying tones and actually probably cheated by some standards and used gouache to make the lighter "twigs". I am tempted to put a wash (or would it be called a glaze at this point?) over most to make it more blurry, but then I probably would be going way to far...so I think it's going to sit like this for now and be a learning experience. I'll take it back to my teacher when we start up in the fall.

reikiart
06-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Great job!

painterbear
06-15-2013, 09:39 AM
I think you did a great job brings out the twigs in the nest after seeing the suggestions ^^^. :thumbsup: on persevering. :D

Sylvia

ckb
06-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks everyone... practice, practice, practice... I'm anxious for my teacher to see this. Google John Falato in Connecticut-his pictures are so realistic that you'd think you were looking at a photo. I however, do want to learn how to paint looser as well, but we all must start someplace

Superturtle
06-16-2013, 12:37 AM
the gouache helped tremendously.

Cyntada
06-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Gouache is not cheating at all, it's just a different form of watercolor. You'll notice we have the "Gouache Corner" forum each month for those who favor it.

Looks wonderful and I love your composition! And, your teacher's work is :eek: wonderful!