PDA

View Full Version : red riding hood

La_
06-14-2013, 05:35 PM
had a background kicking around, so i 'stole' somebodies little girl (from a found online, unsourced painting with an evil nasty giant wolf in a rainy forest with her) and put her with a raven.

14x11 oils on board canvas
c&c welcomed
specifically i wonder if the bird looks too transparent - or if it could pass as reflective color from the surroundings?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/84648-red_riding_hood.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/84648-red_riding_d.jpg

la

gebhm
06-14-2013, 05:49 PM
As for me I think it is a little to transparent. Like the idea though.

D.W. Flint
06-15-2013, 12:06 AM
I don't think you could improve on this one. Looks great to me. I like the colors and the mood they impart...

reverseengineering
06-15-2013, 01:57 AM
I think the answer to your question depends on where the source of light is.

moebean
06-15-2013, 08:29 AM
I don't feel it's too transparent, wish the colors were richer on the rt side as they are on the LT, unless it's glare?

dgford
06-15-2013, 10:07 AM
My feeling is that with the richness and tones of the top left quarter, the girl and the raven need quite a bit more definition .
Great concept.
Geoff

birdhs
06-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Fairy tales, legends, magic... all these thoughts come to mind.

When reality is suspended through the subject matter, and the disparate scale of the subjects, the viewer will not be concerned whether the bird is transparent, IMHO.

This is a suspended moment of time: dramatic, ethereal, and exciting.

Will she make the bird leave?:confused:
will the raven have a scrumptious breakfast?:smug:
Will they become fast friends and fly off on it's back?:cool:
Wills he blink and the ghostly apparition she thinks she saw disappear?:eek:

I think the very transparency of the bird is more effective than a solid menacing mass of darkness. It makes them equals.

Great idea, great painting, not so great phot.

thanx for sharing this with us

greggo

Paintins
06-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Fairy tales, legends, magic... all these thoughts come to mind.

When reality is suspended through the subject matter, and the disparate scale of the subjects, the viewer will not be concerned whether the bird is transparent, IMHO.

I think the very transparency of the bird is more effective than a solid menacing mass of darkness. It makes them equals.

I agree, I think the bird does look transparent, but not TOO transparent and that it really adds to the mystical atmosphere.

Paintins
06-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Ambiguously transparent is what I should have said. Like it could be either be transparent or opaque, real or imaginary or ghostly.

birdhs
06-16-2013, 02:46 AM
YES! What she just said....perfect

La_
06-16-2013, 03:54 PM
thanks guys, all good thoughts
the background is more consistent than it's showing and the characters are subdued in comparison, which was intentional, i like that they're a bit hidden, her especially, but i'll look closely to see for spots i can highlight a bit more.

la

xislandman
09-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Wow... this is a most unusual painting and such an impact. So visual and surreal. I really like it. It belongs on a fantasy magazine cover...

Andrewcody
09-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Should have no trouble selling this
Nice work
Regards
Andrew

La_
09-30-2013, 01:58 AM
thanks guys, for the thoughts and the flashback to this piece ... halloween's coming, maybe i'll frame and show it ...

la

snoball
09-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Perfect just as it is. Give it the title "Nevermore".

ispyart
10-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I actually like the transparency, kind of in keeping with the fairytale theme