PDA

View Full Version : early summer blooms

AprilJoy
06-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Doing some florals lately, I'd really appreciate if anyone has helpful hints for that fading rose on the bottom. It's intentionally dying, I just think it needs some help to look the part.

C&C's welcome & appreciated

8x10 Acrylic on canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/1016672-pink_roses__lace_still_life_2013_004.JPG

I think if I shade the bottom most portion, it may give me what I'm after.
The vase looks crooked in these pics - something else to goof with.

Thanks for taking the time!

AprilJoy
06-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I made some revisions & I'm calling it "Done".

(Mods, can this please be attached to my first post? TY)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/1016672-pink_roses__lace_finished_first_time_1430_6_14_005.JPG

marionh
06-15-2013, 09:04 AM
AprilJoy, very effective. This is painted onto net curtain, I assume. Nice composition, I especially like the two rh roses.

AprilJoy
06-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Thank you, Marion. I actually had painted on top of a piece of lace & then ripped it off. Really showed that canvas who's boss. :lol:

You're work is lovely, had a look at your website :)

dgford
06-16-2013, 09:34 AM
The top roses have form and that is principally because there is definition of tones and contrasts. The rose in the vase top lacks that. Also its Napoleon hat appearance puts me off. I would get rid of the top petals in that flower and then use the left of the pair above as a model of how to treat it. But in this one make use of stronger contrasts in tones and additional use colour (as in the top left flower) to bring it forward.

Feoff

AprilJoy
06-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Thank you for your comments, yes, I see where the bottom most flower is bothersome. I wanted a limp, withering rose in the group. Like a family portrait. I havent seen a reference that suits.

Vivien Maloney
06-17-2013, 03:48 PM
I really like it, and the net curtain certainly adds interest to your painting.
The colors are lovely and the painting really works as a whole.
Limp, dying roses are very difficult to portray in a painting. The best advice I can give you, (if you want to paint one) is to go out and sketch or paint one from real life.

querin
06-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Lovely i like the net very much ,when roses are fading they also change color that may help you achieve the dying effect.
Querin

linettalee
06-18-2013, 01:10 PM
April, this is an unique effect from your use of the netting, love experimentation. WC is so wonderful for getting advice and help in bothersome areas and you are receiving some great suggestions for those small bits in this. Looking really good!

AprilJoy
06-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Thank you Linettalee, Mary and Vivien! :D
I'll be revisiting it. I know it's not overly popular, but considering the Tim Burton generation is old enough to purchase art now, you never know...:)

preranap
06-20-2013, 12:53 PM
hmm.. I like the netting too! nice way to add interest to "usual" painting! Would this qualify as mixed media or still as oil painting?

AprilJoy
06-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Prenana, I guess if I left the lace on it would be mixed but it's actually 100% acrylic paint.
I seem to have started a practice of doing an unusual background (often abstract) and painting a subject on top of it. Really fun.
Thank you for your comments :)

Lea51
06-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Very intriguing background. As for the drooping rose, the advice to find a real-life one to observe and sketch is good advice! I'm thinking you'd see more of the stem as it curves down, and that angle of what would be the top of the rose if it were upright doesn't quite match the droopy effect you're looking for...and as someone else said, the colors change as the rose dies as well...

Lea51
06-26-2013, 02:36 PM
oh, and the edges of the petals get brown...