PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Friday 14th June 2013**

shipbroker
06-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Morning all.

Henry notice you had posted on end of Wednesday Wash
(((((((((())))))))) to you both for next stage of treatment

Lovely morning out there very still but high chance of rain from Lake District later

Doctors at 0800 for 'bloods' prior to Diabetic Clinic in 2 weeks
No real plans for day beyond that

geoff

Yorky
06-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Good morning Geoff and all to follow.

Sorry I'm missing most of your daily news but glad to see that at last things have got moving with Lesley Henry.

Sorry to hear about your fall Lynn, glad you weren't hurt too badly :heart:

Hi Lyn, good to see you pop in. Hi Ona, you are reaping the rewards of your amazing talent for watercolours. I think Jersey Pottery has closed down.

This morning it it less windy and overcast bright for our all island tour taking in the Glass Church and National Trust gardens.

Managed a couple of sketches in Gorey yesterday and one of the hotel before we left.

Coming home tomorrow, it has been a lovely holiday.

Doug

doppler
06-14-2013, 03:18 AM
Good evening all. Doug and Geoff. :wave:

Rain hail shine. We have had weak but sort of warm, in the middle of the day, winter sunshine and clear skies. Days be too short though. Rogers playing with his new log splitter. :thumbsup: The westerlies are back. Clear skies mean coldies tonight. Both cats are in. They are our thermometers.

Henry (((()))))) No words. ((((())))) Lesley.

Doris345
06-14-2013, 03:57 AM
Hello washers,

Hi Geoff, hope blood tests are OK
Doug, very glad to hear what a good trip you are having.
Annie - cats do that weather reporting so well, don't they?

Finished the book project around noon, had to wait almost 4 hrs for the bike messenger to come and pick it up, but I am a day ahead of deadline. Then I slept for a solid 9 hrs. Cannot remember the last time I had such a great sleep. I really should turn the 'phone off more often: If I turn off the ringer in the bedroom I can still hear it ringing in the other room and answer in the b.r., but if I am asleep it won't wake me up.

Another sign I am getting old? Used to be that I couldn't stand the thought of missing a phone call .

I am wide awake now. Will read for a while. (Just got Dan Brown, Inferno) Can't do house chores until daylight, right? :angel:

Have a good day, everyone.

Doris

laudesan
06-14-2013, 03:58 AM
JJ, I am sorry you are having such bad luck with your external hard drives.I have just bought my fifth in 4 years ...sigh........ This latest one is a Seagate 4TB for 189.00 on sale.
A friend of mine suggested I plug the defunked one back into the pc and restart the pc. Got nothing to loose so I did. It worked and the pc recognises it for now.
So I am transferring all the data across. :crossfingers: Only 6 hours to go and I am done.. Providing it isn't too much for my elderly Toshiba laptop.

When done, I am going to try the other defunct one which carked it on me in Canada last time I was there. That one was only 3 months old. :-(

Darla, how is that knee??

Uschi, Ava really lover her swimming eh. :-)

What an awful shame about your caravan trek Geoff. Do you always go with the group, or have you ventured off on your own, just the two of you?

Anita, how did you fair with the tornadoes?

Bill, I can not get enough of your Rhododendron photos!

I'm already ready for another vacation; so I'd better get saving. Hmm...where to now? I would LOVE to see more of America and Canada like Nova Scotia. And of course there is Africa, New Zealand, Italy, Hawaii....:lol: Traveling could become addictive if one isn't careful.:wink2: What about Australia!!! :crying:

(((((Lesley and Henry)))))

:wave:

Lulu
06-14-2013, 04:58 AM
Evening everyone:wave:
Out and about as well as trying to get my head space into portraiture so am limiting my time online at the moment....otherwise it's easy to procrastinate!
I'm wanting to paint some of the children from the school I went to while we were on holiday, and I want to gift them to them so must push on. Feeling as if I've forgotten how, but it's coming back. This first one might need repeating though. Was quite frightened of the white paper! :eek:

Glad you've had a good holiday Doug (and Ruth).

I'm already ready for another vacation; .....And of course there is New Zealand.... Traveling could become addictive if one isn't careful.:wink2:

YES!!!! :clap: Just bypass Australia Darla, and come down here:D
Travel certainly does become addictive, but it's a good addiction:)

(((Henry & Lesley))). My thoughts and prayers are with you both. :heart:

Doris, I sleep for about 9 hours every night. And I'm not afraid to take the phone off the hook either!

Hi Geoff, Annie, JJ.........
Annie, John will be jealous of Roger's woodsplitter!!

Off to do some reading by the fire :wave:

doppler
06-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Lulu, Roger is pretty happy with it.

Don't bypass Aus Darla, cousin Kiwi is just hoping you both will visit. As I do.

You and Larry must be shell shocked. (((())))

Small note, I love travelling but not flights. I'm waiting for Scottie ... Beam me up ? :lol:

Doris, ignoring phone calls is not getting old. It's getting sane. Since when did people drop everything and run to a bell? Pavlov is laughing in his grave. On the other hand he did not dream about mobile phones.

Now the dinner bell has sounded .... Salivate and eat .. Roger doing chef stuff really well.

Lulu
06-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Small note, I love travelling but not flights. I'm waiting for Scottie ... Beam me up ?

I actually quite enjoy airports, the buzz, the people, I think about the 'stories' that each passenger holds, but no, I don't enjoy the flights, if I could sleep on them I wouldn't mind so much, but I endure them for the positives once I'm off the plane! :thumbsup:

shipbroker
06-14-2013, 06:18 AM
I like flights and flying, Eileen doesn't ( but she wasn't in the Air Scouts, I was!).....thats one reason why are travelling is slowing down somewhat.

Darla... JJ sent me this...thought you might recognise somewhere in Paris!
http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/paris.htm

cheers

geoff

ScarletLake
06-14-2013, 07:25 AM
:wave: :wave: TGIF TGIF:wave: :wave:

Well our BIG weather storm was not so bad. In fact I slept all the way through until 4 AM when I heard thunder. No damage or power outages. Better safe and prepared than sorry.

We had lots of rain yesterday morning but then by noon the skies cleared and a beautiful day.

I worked at the museum store last night. They were having a Jazz concert so several people in the store. Lots of sales. Got to work with a sweetheart of a person who I just love working with. THEN the rude manager showed her ugly side.

One of the local glass artists arrived to bring in new merchandise and as she was sitting up her display she asked me for my opinion on an arrangement of plates. At the time she had several of the same close in color and I told her that --too similar. She agreed and said That's exactly what I was thinking, Thanks.

About that time the manager came out of her office walked out in the hallway where we were looking at the display and Looked right at me and said Well I disagree That likes like CRAP and I'm not having it,

You know, it was like she was "putting me in my place" . I was really insulted , the artist looked at me with a "I'm sorry didn't mean to get you into trouble look". I just walked away and went back inside the store before I said something I regretted.

Her demeanor and way of speaking to people is so far from their Mission Statement that I just don't get it.

On the more pleasant side I am approved to work with the kids on Art Camp the last week of June on Journal and Book making. I'm really looking forward to that. It will be M-F from 9 to 4 pm. I can't wait. :clap: :clap:

Henry and Leslie ---Glad that you got a date for the biopsy. Certainly keeping you both in my prayers.

Darla - Hope your knee diagnosis is not too bad. I hated to hear about your basement. I hope you did not have carpeting or laminate flooring down.

Well my mind has shut down - haven't had coffee yet. :lol: :lol:

Going downtown to visit with people in coffee shop this morning and stop by art group.

Wishing everyone a great Friday and weekend

Anita

olliewood0702
06-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Hello all and HAPPY FRIDAY!

It's dawning a lovely sunny morning with lots of cerulean blue skies above; and it's pleasantly cool but promising to warm up some. Tomorrow much of the same before more rain on Sunday and Monday.

Poor Larry was totally exhausted when I got home from work last night. He'd removed tons of stuff from the basement. We have to journal everything that was a total loss. Since we had Klaira last evening I wasn't able to check out my art stuff. I did however see a totally brand new large sketch book from Cheap Joes and a small one too that were completely ruined...sopping wet. I'm so afraid that I'll find out that some of my framed pieces have been ruined. Tonight I'm planning on making some progress with things.

JJ, my knee is hurting horribly. I've been keeping it elevated at work and yesterday even iced it at work. Today I'm planning on doing the same. At night when I go to bed I take ibuprofen and ice it too. When the ibuprofen wears off ....well all I can say is ouch! I go to my surgeon on Monday at 4pm. It was TWO WEEKS ago today that I injured it.:confused:

Anita, I'm glad those storms never materialized. What a rude comment from that manager.

Annie, yes Australia is one of the places that I'd love to visit too.The only thing that would scare me are all the poisonous things.:D

Geoff, I hope you don't get as much rain as we did! Stay dry. JJ also sent me that link...it's amazing!

Doug, have a great day today whatever you plan on doing!

Aww LuLu, I just know that portraiture will come back to you quickly. I bet the students will love seeing their image on paper. Yes, New Zealand would be an awesome place to vacation! Perhaps someday...I'll start saving.:crossfingers:

Even though I've had a short work week it's been exhausting. Larry and I were talking last night and even though the flooded basement is awful we are thankful that it's all replaceable; and at least we have a home unlike some of those tornado victims. We have a lot to be thankful for. We'll just persevere and soon it'll be all back to normal. I like to look at it this way....at least he's getting rid of some "things!":lol: It's just an inconvenient time as my Mom is coming this THursday.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and weekend coming up.

BBL!:wave: :heart:

Uschi
06-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Good Morning!!!

Sunny, fairly strong north wind so temperature staying on the cool side.

I could have started the wash any time up to 2:30 in the morning. Going to the movie at 9:00 p.m. and coming home after 11:00 p.m. completely threw my sleeping pattern out the window. I can't fall asleep right after coming home.

The movie/documentary was interesting because it was about a very well known strip club in our city and the owners nobody knew much about. It was filmed by one of their sons and shows how each family member was affected by this business. Tastefully done!!

The film has been shown for two weeks and every show has been sold out. Rita and I went an hour early, thinking we'd have a coffee first in their cafe, but there was already a line up, so we had our coffee in the lineup:lol:

Planning on planting the few flowers I bought two days ago and playing table tennis in the afternoon.

Rita, This lady is going to lose all their volunteers if she carries on like that.

Char, haveing seen your students' paintings I can see why that person would have been surprised. I am surprised every time!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for being such a great teacher!!!

Ona, enjoy your trip and companionship of some really good watercolour artists. Don't forget to show us pictures of when you are receiving yours.

Bill, loved the columbine photos, I took a photo of my new white ones but haven't downloaded it yet.

Darla, a flooded basement is inconvenient, sad and frustrating at any time.

JJ, great that you got that thing working again:thumbsup:

Doug, I am happy for you and Ruth that you are having such a nice holiday!!!

Doris, you must be glad it is all done!!

:wave: to Annie, Lulu, Geoff and all yet to come!!

Uschi

Scene Chaser
06-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Good Day All,
A sunny quiet day here. Only 63 F but will warm.

My wild roses are blooming. The bush is back by my garden and while working out there, I have the fragrance with me.

These are the flowers,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/83119-wild_roses_1.JPG

and this is the bush. It's about eight feet in diameter.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/83119-wild_rose_bush.JPG

Going shopping and checking out a different auto insurance today.

Bill

LynnM
06-14-2013, 09:47 AM
:wave: Hi everyone! shopping today, dashing for the taxi, BBL.................

CharM
06-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Good morning! We have lots of bright sunshine, cool breezy temperatures that will stay with us for a couple of days. Fathers' Day is expected to be rained on.

Instead of getting some painting done, I did a little Service Club work yesterday afternoon. And then Ted and I ran some errands. The oil needed to be changed in the truck. We both needed new running shoes. Funny because neither of us *runs*... Groceries needed to be stocked up on, too.

Magoo stopped by and ended up staying to dinner. I roasted a spatchcocked chicken with a mild Asian marinade. Fresh asparagus, cucumber salad and sticky rice accompanied our chicken. Strawberries are in season, and that became our dessert...

After supper Ted installed a new (ish) radio system in the Van so that Magoo could listen to true stereo sound... :lol:

Finally, we watched The Hunger Games. All in all, it was certainly a well-filled day!

Henry and Lesley... My thoughts and prayers are with you in this incredibly difficult time... ((()))

Lyn, I like to know that all is ok in your world... and Ona, I do see you now and again on FB so I know that you're ok.

Geoff, I hope your numbers are good. Do you take insulin?

Doug, I loved browsing through your sketchbooks at the Ontario Meet... I hope you'll post your most recent ones when you return home.

Annie, do you heat primarily with wood? My Army Son splits a couple cords of wood each fall, but he rents his splitter.

Doris, are you writing a book? Editing a book? I'm reading Inferno, too... Tom Hanks has been on my mind! :lol:

It would sure be nice if you could recover ALL your lost data, JJ!

What a lovely gesture, Lulu... how many portraits do you plan to paint?

Hi Anita... sometimes I wonder if people actually know how terrible they sound. The storms kind of fizzled out, eh? That was a GOOD thing!

((Darla)), don't you feel like if it weren't for bad luck you just wouldn't have any at all?? :) Flooding makes such a mess... I sure hope none of your framed work was damaged...

Uschi, I know what you mean about being revved up when getting home from the show... It does take some time to wind down. I think the Curators are looking to add another watercolour class to the schedule. I don't want to take on anything more, though.

Your wild rose is just beautiful, Bill! My giant spirea is in full boom, but the wind is taking its toll on the blossoms.

:wave: Lynn and all yet to come... I'd better do something productive with my day! The morning is half gone already! Have the very best possible day everyone!

painterbear
06-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Good Morning all,
It is 9:45 a.m. on a GLORIOUS Spring day here in bright, sunny Oakwood. Love having cool enough temps to open the doors and windows (with screens on all to keep out the mosquitoes and flies ;) ).

The repairman from ADT, our alarm company, is here checking on the equipment after that fire alarm fiasco the other day. Heard him talking to Larry and he said it was a fault in the equipment and he was going to replace the defective part. :thumbsup: Glad we bought the warranty when we had the system installed. It payed off nicely today. :smug:

Anita, Who is in charge of the Volunteers for the Museum? Could you have a quite talk with him/her about the Manager of the Gift Shop and her way of handling the volunteers? If that wouldn't work, how about the Manager's boss? A word to him/her might be a good thing as well. Most people are usually so happy to have volunteer workers they treat them with respect and appreciation, not disdain. :mad: Glad your area didn't get hit with those little tornados that did some damage in Auglaize County. :D

Darla, When it rains, it pours, eh. (Sorry for the pun.) What a shame about your basement flooding again. That's a lot of work cataloging what was damaged and cleaning up afterward. Hope your leg holds out until Monday. Are you using a cane to get around as several people here have advised? It would help keep your weight off the knee.

Ona, Have a great meeting with great watercolorists in Kenosha. :D

Henry, Good news that things are moving along for Leslie. :crossfingers: there is help to be had.

I actually quite enjoy airports, the buzz, the people, I think about the 'stories' that each passenger holds, but no, I don't enjoy the flights, if I could sleep on them I wouldn't mind so much, but I endure them for the positives once I'm off the plane!
Lulu, When I was a teenager, one of the things we would do was go out to the Philadelphia International Airport and sit in the lounge watching the planes arrive and depart and dream about flying on them one day just the way you describe. Funny thing was when I was going to go on my first ever flight to join Larry in Adana, Turkey, we departed from that airport because it was close to my Mom and Dad's home where we had stayed while he went ahead and found us an apartment to live in (required by the AF). :D

Annie, I used to love flying, but the way things have gotten with security and no leg room and packed planes, I think I am now like you waiting for Scotty's beam to become reality. :D Glad Roger has become a good chef and is enjoying the process. My son Kent loves to cook and is quite good at it as well. :D

Doris, What do you do with the book project? Are you a copy editor, proofreader, writer?????? I used to be a proofreader and copy editor and loved it, miss it now but wouldn't want a full time job. Having too much fun with my art lessons, etc. to give it up for a job.

Hi Lyn, Nice to see you pop in yesterday. Do say "Hi" every once in a while so we know you are still here with us.

Char, We x-posted. Sounds like you had a lovely family day and dinner with Magoo home for a nice visit. Like the others, I :lol: at the people being amazed at your students works. They don't know what a fabulous teacher you are, the way we do or they wouldn't have been surprised. :thumbsup:

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Uschi
06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Bill, MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart: :heart:

Char, sticking to the classes you teach now assures you of full attendance. Remember, you are retired:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

Sylvia, you can sleep deeply and without worry again:thumbsup:

Uschi

FLNH
06-14-2013, 10:35 AM
I have been missing in action. My adult son needed eye surgery. He lives in Ohio and does not fly, so I flew to Columbus, OH, drove us to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He had the surgery last week. It seems to have been successful but was long with a lot of post-op pain and I drove him back to Ohio Wednesday and am flying home to NH in a bit. I am at the airport in Columbus. 2 plus weeks is a lot to be away.

Anyway, I did keep up with,the wash and even painted a little in our hotel room.

I do worry about Darla's knee despite their having a great time.

(((((((((Henry and Leslie))))))))

I am glad Doris' visitors have departed.

I enjoyed everyone's good news and saddened by people's problems.

Anyway, HAWLTAIN.

Uschi
06-14-2013, 11:26 AM
WOW, how is that for a camera, out of this mass of people you can see and recognize each person when one zooms in. Look HERE (http://www.gigapixel.com/image/gigapan-canucks-g7.html)

Uschi

Strawberry Wine
06-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Good Day Washers

Crikey, I just typed a huge message and poof it is gone.... :(

Much shorter this time ......

:grouphug: Lesley and Henry :grouphug: OMG I thought that the kidney biopsy was done weeks ago and you have been waiting for results and a decision on how the team was going to proceed.

Darla, sounds like you have done a number on your knee.. Perhaps the ACL attachment has beome unattached. Been there and I know how painful it can be. Wear your knee brace all the time except when you are sleeping. If you did not buy a cane, get one. They have some nice inexpensive ones in walmart. You will need both if they have to surgically repair the knee . Keep icing and elevating it as you are already doing.

Char, Learn to say NO :)

Here are a few photos of my pond and garden I took yesterday morning. (cross posted in the photography forum)

A male green frog in amongst the Pickeral Weed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/13320-frog_in_pickeral_weed_for_web.jpg

This Prarie Smoke, Native America perennial, I bought a several weeks ago when Char and Ted were here. The small pink flower bursts into the pink seed head plume and then eventually becomes a tiny white cotton ball containing its seeds. The plant will self seed but is not invasive. Its foliage in the bottom right hand corner of the photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/13320-Prairie_Smoke_for_Web.jpg

A close up of my very fragrant Mock Orange. I love it !

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/13320-Mock_Orange_for_web.jpg

Bill, love your photos of the Rhodies and the wild rose... The blossom is similar to the Mock Orange... The wild columbine are my favourite.

Uschi, I have been meaning to tell you that we have Bees here. I have seen both Bumble Bees and Honey Bees and lots of Butterflies. :thumbsup:

Several pairs of Hummingbirds and Orioles are nesting nearby and visit the 3 feeders constantly. My first water lily opened on Wed. Life is good. :)

We are heading out camping on Sunday for 5 days. Just a bit more gathering of things and we will be ready for the season

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

LynnM
06-14-2013, 01:07 PM
:wave:

Thanks, Doug, I am stiff today, but apart from the headache from the whiplash, everything else is working as it should, just a little creaky!

Nice photos Gail, I love to see how your pond is coming along. That is a very interesting plant, the prairie smoke. I have seen the white cotton balls but thought it was cotton grass, could have been this instead, I guess. Lovely mock orange, too.

That's a big wild rose, Bill, have never seen a white version, only the pink, isn't that lovely that it is scented!

Good that your son's operation went well, Karl. I hope things settle down for you soon.

JJ, I know what a nuisance this has been for you, I was just lucky that I had most of the things on the external on my other two computers. I hope this migration works perfectly for you. Don't move them around any more than you absolutely have to!!!! that's when you can drop them and they can't stand that.

Sounds like an interesting film, Uschi. I know what you mean about unwinding. That happens when I dance in the evening, always late to bed after that with my head full of music :)

That must have been a horrible experience for you, Anita, she is not a good person to be managing anyone, let alone volunteers. So many people land in jobs without having the proper management training, I experienced that at my University job, its hard to hold your tongue, good for you for doing so! You'll have fun with the kids in the summer!

I agree with Darla, Lulu, you will get your skills back quickly. Are you following the WIP in the Landscape forum? It does look interesting. I did one like that from one of Larry Seiler's a couple of years ago, learned lots.

Hi Doris, Annie, Sylvia, Geoff, Char,and all to come, have a rewarding day!
:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Flattwo
06-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Hi to All

Thanks to everyone for your kind support, Lesley has now got a lung infection and is on strong anti-biotics along with the gazillion other pills she has to take, she is amazingly cheerful, she is an very strong woman!

I'm still painting away, trying to take my mind off things as much as I can, but the crushing stress is always there, 24 hours a day in the background

Bill and Gail, super photos!

Speak later

Henry

CharM
06-14-2013, 01:38 PM
(((Henry and Lesley))) There just aren't enough words to be able to offer comfort...

NancyR
06-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Quick post as I get back to work. Sunny and "HOT" in Texas.

Henry, Big hugs and lots of white light to both you and Lesley. Painting is one of the best things you can to destress.

Lynn, Glad you are feeling OK.

Darla, Sorry about the flooded basement. I miss not having a basement, but I do not miss the flooding. Just rest even though you have company coming this weekend. You do not want to hurt your knee anymore.

Bill, Love the roses. I have pink ones especially for Texas that can take full sun and you do not have to spray them for anything. They bloom all season.

Gail, I so want a pond again, but it will have to wait until I retire in 85 weeks. With my bad back, someone will have to help me or I will have to get very creative.

Uschi, that photo is amazing. No one could hide in the crowd with that lens!

Karl, it will be good to be back home in your old routine. You are a good father to help your son get his much-needed surgery.

Anita, someone needs to know what the salesperson said to you and the artist. Maybe you are threatening to her because of your art background.

Sylvia, glad that you had the warranty. The strange fire alarm happened to my co-worker last night in her apartment. At first she thought the phone was ringing. Her new baby slept through the whole episode.

Hi to everyone else, have a great weekend if I don't make it back.

shipbroker
06-14-2013, 02:07 PM
(((Henry and Lesley))) There just aren't enough words to be able to offer comfort...

That is spot on Char.......

geoff

Scene Chaser
06-14-2013, 02:38 PM
(((Henry & Lesley)))

Nancy, I have the pink ones, too, but they blossom later. They grew wild near my mail box. I have to weed out grape and other stuff every year.

Bill

LynnM
06-14-2013, 03:58 PM
I just saw a very moving video. Over on the Plein Aire forum there is a thread on the best plein aire experience that people have had, and an artist from the west coast, Dan Grey, posted a link to his best one, and it is a winner! A group of 50 artists were taken up the BC coast to do work which can raise the awareness of the public to the special nature of the coastline and it's vulnerability to the dangers of presence oil tankers, necessary as the completion of the proposed pipeline to BC. How I wish I could have been on that trip!. Have a look here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZWqNqrzag&feature=share

(((((Lesley and Henry)))))

JudyL
06-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi, been busy with kid, the newly turned 18, she is with us, the Boy is in WDC with other grandparent for his special trip.

Lauren and I are going to the recycling spot to turn bottles and cans into $$ then to feed an elderly cat.

BBL

cloudchaser
06-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Hello everyone,

We are having a terrible early summer here, same as last year. Dull cloudy skies , very windy and low temperatures for June, sigh!!

I have been having a bad few weeks, after my first episode of back injury I recovered and returned to work. Then last weekend while laying a few slabs I hurt it again. This must be about the 6th time this has happened to me and it is always the same, lower back and a twisted spinal column. I have a set of exercises to do which has helped in the past but is very painful to do, so it seems that I will be having more time off work. I think my body is saying stop working now!! although I am retiring this December.

My best wishes to Henry and Lesley, may things work out for you both.

LynnM- That is a beautiful film with a great feeling behind it.

Doug-glad the holiday has gone well, lovely island. My parents lived on Jersey early 1930's. They met and married there. My oldest sister was born on the island in 1936, but they moved back to the mainland prior to the German invasion. I honeymooned in Jersey 1980.

Hi to all washers here today, hope you have had /have a great Friday.

take care
regards
Tony.:wave:

Doris345
06-14-2013, 07:11 PM
((Henry & Leslie))
((Karl's son))
((Tony))

Char and Sylvia - yes. I am freelance writer, copy editor, proofreader. Steady, small assignments for two ad agencies, legal and medical proofreading, and a couple of publishers.

I did proofreading for a publisher as one of the many ways to put myself through college (many years ago - Methuselah was my classmate) and after involuntary retirement from the IT field I went back to it on a freelance basis.

I enjoy it - I get to make my own hours, and it's sort of fun when you catch a glaring no-no. Only once has a client ever questioned my work, and I was (fortunately) able to back up my editing.

I am also currently working with an incredibly gifted and seriously dyslexic man who is writing a sociology textbook. His draft ideas are all over the place, and I am making them into whole sentences and cohesive chapters. I wrote his book proposal for him - he sent me 84 pages and I edited into a 34-page proposal (based on a style guide I found on the internet) which was accepted by a publisher. Now we are doing the real work. I was offered $$ or co-writer credit, so I took the money.;)
That's not the assignment I just finished, btw.

Uschi - that camera is amazing.

Lulu
06-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Morning everyone, a cold cold day here....
Loving all the photos and I especially love the frog one Gail! A magnificent catch on camera, expression, reflections and all.

Flying....I meant to say that I quite like short-haul flights, it's the 15+ hr ones that get a bit tedious!
Our up-coming one (four hours flying) will seem like a walk in the park after that!

Sylvia, yes, cramming on planes is a pain! The only time we've really experienced that though is the short-haul ones between Auckland and Sydney. Did not like that at all, felt like we were all sardines!
All the other longer trips have had good enough leg room for our long legs:)

Doris, what interesting jobs you have!

Lynn, I have only looked at that wip in the landscape forum so far, but yes, I do intend to try. Might look up Larry's one too, although a lot of the older threads/articles around wetc have pages missing from them now - I guess there's too much to fix...

Glad your son's surgery was successful Karl.

Better scoot, have got pea and ham soup on the go, and am houseworking in between watercolour washes!

Hugs to everyone in need. :heart:

JudyL
06-14-2013, 08:38 PM
I must admit to enjoying air travel, however we have a way to get business upgrades, we have a credit card linked to an airline company, and when we buy something we use that, (and paid off on the button) really worth it when we were traveling all the time.

We had to wait for a looooong time in the heat, as the guys ahead of us had 7+ bags of plastic bottles :eek: finally got the umbrella in the boot of the car :smug:

Then fed Melvin I tended to his need, (petting) while Lauren fed and watered him, and collected the mail.

laudesan
06-14-2013, 08:40 PM
YES!!!! :clap: Just bypass Australia Darla, and come down here:D
Travel certainly does become addictive, but it's a good addiction:)Oye!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NancyR
06-14-2013, 09:03 PM
I am sitting here shaking and very upset. I found out tonight from one of my cousins that my brother has lung cancer and will get his prognosis on Wednesday. I reached out to my sister-in-law, and she wrote something horrible on her Facebook page about me and my mother.

I responded by saying, "Thank you, I see you have not changed. Thank you for being such a good Christian."

I also wrote my niece at the same time (her daughter), and she was so gracious and thanked me for my kind words. I told her to keep me posted, and that I would be there in spirit.

Pat, I immediately thought of you and what you have been going through with your relatives. We are members of an exclusive club.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Lulu
06-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Oye!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

:grouphug: Nancy :grouphug:

laudesan
06-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Darn it. Went to go back to my reply window I opened in a new tab and accidentally closed it. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be back later...

mumble grumble bumble...................

NancyR
06-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks Lulu. Thank goodness i have a Xanax on hand to calm me down. I know now that we did make the right decision in being estranged from them after 30+ years of upset due to her. I have learned that you cannot reason with mentally unstable people.

villagernb
06-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Henry, I am so sorry that you and Leslie are having such a difficult time. You are both so brave. Please know that even though we have not met "in person" I am thinking of you both every day and praying for a successful outcome for you both. As Annie would say, "Stay strong!" :grouphug:

Nancy, I also have relatives who do not match the traditional description of "family". :eek: I haven't figured out yet how to deal with them; I tend to handle them on a case by case basis. Just when I think they can't behave any worse, they always do! This is much easier said than done, but try not to let them "get to you." They certainly aren't worth it!:heart:

Gail, thank you for posting your gorgeous pictures! I LOVE amphibians!

Bill, your rosebush is absolutely beautiful. We have a wild rosebush just off our back deck of a similar shape, but a somewhat smaller diameter; Rosa Rugosa with it's typical "hot pink" colour.

Today was shopping and errands day for us, so I'm very tired. Bed soon.
Annie, we enjoyed Spag Bol tonight (with Merlot). :D

Cheers, Anne